Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder River Dec. 22  (Read 5444 times)

bederko

• Fish ethically, always....
Re: Vedder River Dec. 22
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2005, 05:56:44 PM »

I'm heading to Prospera to cheer on the Swiss. I'll check back after the game...
A river is never quite silent; it can never, of its very nature, be quite still; it is never quite the same from one day to the next. It has its own life and its own beauty, and the creatures it nourishes are alive and beautiful also. Perhaps fishing is only an excuse to be near rivers. - Haig-Brown

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2005, 06:01:20 PM »

It looks like my lengthy instruction of profile photo addition is not so confusing after all. ;)

Hey, take that chit chat to private messaging, we don't want to know your secret spots. ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2005, 06:34:01 PM »

With a few prawn tails now ready to go made my first stop a bit above the BC Electric Bridge but did not like the look of the water. A fly guy just breaking down his equipment and two other drift guys fishing just where the road first comes close to the river. Water high in this area so moved up to the Twin Cedars for a few casts but they all came up empty. Visibility about 2 feet now.

With about 45 minutes of daylight left headed back downstream to the Crossing.

Quickly walked out to the river and the sidestream was certainly up around a foot or so from when I fished it on Tuesday. Fiished a couple of likely looking slots that could hold a steelhead but the drennan stayed above water.

Moved to the third spot, a little spill over just above a root wad of a fallen cottonwood tree, depth around 3 feet. ( will ask Rodney to post the picture of the area so you can see where a fish can lay)

On the first drift through float goes down fairly slowly, just above the root wad. Thinking it is just maybe part of the root system I pick up slowly. All of a sudden I realize it is a fish as the float is moving upstream.  ::)

My thrill is short lived as I did not set the hook so the fish falls off, darn, what was it. Have to go for supper, part two to follow. ;D
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 07:05:23 PM by chris gadsden »

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2005, 06:37:02 PM »

Nice, way to leave us hanging Chris! ;D ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2005, 07:15:45 PM »

I think his trying to get back on the Canuck fans  ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2005, 08:05:09 PM »

Ouch, is the rain really pounding down now, and the wind as well. Does not look good for tomorrow now.

Part Two of today's outing now.

I thread on another prawn tail with my hands shaking slightly with the thought racing through my head that my first steelhead is only seconds away.

I flip my offering just where the small pocket starts to deepen, 20 feet or so above the root wad, the drennan drifts slowly into the "hot" zone, my eyes focused on the red capped drennan, looking for a tell tail dip or hesitation of its journey.

First cast nothing, second, third and fourth the drennan drifts without any obstruction. Have I scared my quarry? On the fifth cast when I think I would not have another opportunity the red top is gone, I strike this time, a nice head shake follows and then the fish like it did previously swims towards me. My 62 year old heart is starting to quicken. O I hope it is steelhead so I can rub it into BS for all the abuse he gave me today on Sport Chat. ;D The fish then turns headed for the root, I try to hold back a bit to keep it from the roots. The fish does not like this restraint and boils to the top. I now see it is a Chum. :o Disappointed a bit but at least I know a fish can see my bait in the coloured condition and I now know chum like prawn tails as well. ;D

The fish stays on for 30 seconds or so before falling off. As I have only one more run below to fish below me I put on another prawn and a few casts later, another fish has gulped down the prawn tail. Starting to think these guys may prove to be more productive than I first thought. This fish is another chum or the same one that enjoyed the two previous prawn tails so much he could not resist having a third one for his evening meal.

I fight this chum to the beach and snap a picture prior to release as I have noticed some posters like to see a picture of the landed fish. Although this was just a chum it is still a fish and should be appreciated and respected as much as a fresh run steelhead would be. It, along with all fish that call our rivers, streams and water ways their home must be treasured by us all. Besides it gave me a few minutes of excitement. ;D

As I remove the hook from the roof of the buck chum of about 8 or so pounds shows it displeasure to me by raking my thumb with it developing dog's fangs. Should have used pliers I guess. ::)

With the fish now safely released and I am sure now hiding from danger right under the root I head to the last spot I wish to fish as darkness is closing in around me. Waves of gulls along with the odd string of Canadian gesse are heading to their nightly roost at Cultus Lake also signalling the end of daylight and their day of feeding in the surrounding fields.

I run into a father and son angling just below me. They have nothing today but the dad said the fellow fishing with him a few days ago had lost a steelhead.
The last run I fish gives me no more challenges so I head back to the Leaf Mobile as the rain starts up again. I am content with my short trip, my second of the year in search for the first steelhead of the new steelhead season.

I stop at Fred's to register for the Wally Hall Junior Memorial Derby and run in to Toothpick Tom and Jon.

I tease them both that I got one and get a little mileage out of them before caving in that it was not a steelhead. ;D I notice on the board that at least 3 steelhead have been weighed in, I believe the top was a bit over 12 pounds.

It is time to get out there thats for sure, the steelhead are there and of course so are the chum. ;D ;D ;D

Pictures of chum, the slot he was in, of the prawn tail cured and plain for cohokid to see when Rodney has time to post them.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 10:18:14 PM by chris gadsden »

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2005, 08:16:47 PM »

Good job on the chum Chris, I was rooten for you!!  Very good report as well!! Thanks. ;D ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2005, 08:33:05 PM »

I pro cured a bunch of deli shrimps the other day in hot pink and they look real nice. Sounds like my arsenal is going to include Pink worms, roe, bugs, deli shrimp and jensen eggs as the main baits. If the derby's cancelled, I'll be dissapointed as all my bugs that I have kept alive for 13 days so far will go to waste :o.
You can still cook the bugs up and then freeze them. They do not stay on too well after being cooked but can be held on with thread or Spider Wire. Fish them in slower water. I have caught a good number of steelhead this way. Also if you wish the cooked bugs can be wrapped in netting and tied up, they look sort of like an Egyptian Mummy then. :-X

The way I cook them is put them in a pot of boiling water that has a bit of pro cure, salt and borax added. Donot really need the two latter items, I donot know why I really use them other than may toughen them up abit.

When they float to the top I calll them good, spoon them out and put on some paper to dry a bit, then freeze in a double zip lock bag. You can mix in some borax with them as well. They then will not be so messy when you use them later.

O, if you cook them on your families stove make sure your parents are out or in bed as they can smell a bit, Donot spill the procure or you will be leaving a tell tale stain on the counter. ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2005, 08:57:39 PM »

Wish I had known that earlier as quite a few have already died :P. Oh well thanks for the info Chris. Does the procure color up the bugs alot?
Yes using double red hot does but it does work as I have caught numerous steelhead and springs with them. Once again they are very fragile when done this way.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2005, 01:06:39 AM »

Nice job. Well this definitely is a weird year. According to hatchery it seems chum end early Nov. but this is late Dec.  !!!!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2005, 01:25:41 AM »

Photos posted for Chris.

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2005, 12:41:06 PM »

Well on Tuesday when my dad and i went fishing to the vedder around the campground area...on our way back, we saw 7 chum and all were very very clean :o :o :o with no mold or anything wrong. quite surprised as most were dead and almost desinigrated.

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2005, 05:16:58 PM »

hey chris those prawn tail look sexy, might have to make a trip to the local safeway  ;)

redside1

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2005, 05:43:51 PM »

if you travel to Steveston at all, you can get prawns and shrimp cheap fresh off the boats. They sell a perfect size for steelhead for $1.00 a pound. Bought 3lbs the other day and have cured them up using that new cure made by Pautzke in a killer looking orange color. Did some in pro Cure red also. Can't wait for the river to start dropping.

buck

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2005, 09:35:35 PM »

Bederko, I recognize the dog and the North River boat. I guess by the comments made by Chris he doesn't like lurkers. Those prawn tails Chris is using make for expensive bait. What ever happened to good old bait Chris ?