Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing opportunities in Cabo?  (Read 12617 times)

stormhaven

Re: Fishing opportunities in Cabo?
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2013, 09:55:01 AM »

What a whopper :)
I'm going back next march then again in the summer for the BIG roosters.
I've got some pics of fish I caught but not sure how to post them?.

soliak

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2013, 10:18:47 AM »

If you are on a PC then go to www.imgur.com and drag the images onto the website, then click upload. You will then see a 'direct link' section on the right hand side of every image (it will be like www.websiteadressdjshabfhjdasbf.com/image.jpg)...come back here and click the insert image icon (just below the bold buttom, top left above this chat box), it will insert two IMG tags, post the link to the photo in there. Alternatively just post the website link for the images once uploaded here and I will do it for you :)

soliak

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2013, 12:00:36 PM »

Here ya go mate

DRP79

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2013, 04:45:24 PM »

I was a few weeks early for Roosters but now I know for next time. I had a great day out with Wesley. Beautiful weather but a pretty low tide according to Wes. I thought the waves were big but I was assured that they were quite small, lol.

My first catch of the day was a pelican. The bugger flew into my line just as it hit the water and I didnt even realize it had happened. I was excited to get a tug on the line and was bringing it in when I noticed the bird. I was thinking, he better not steal my fish. Then a minute later, I realized that he was my fish. Got him into where the waves were breaking and after 1 good wave, he came loose and was on his way.

This was all the action we got at the beach, which was beautiful. We then moved off to a more rocky area that some boats were also fishing through. We got into 4-5 fish and ended up landing 3 red snappers, 1 smaller one was let go and then 2 keepers in the 10lb range were destined for the dinner table.

We then headed back over the rocks, Wes with 2 fish in one hand and 2 12' rods in the other. He was like a gazelle going over the rocks while barefoot to boot. I had both hands and runners on and felt like I was walking a tight rope. Wes is very easy going and very knowledgeable and I would not hesitate to book with him again.

I still have to upload the pics but will post them when I do.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2014, 10:36:07 AM »

Bringing up an old thread.....

For anyone interested in fishing the Cabo area (and others) either fly, gear, surf, boat... tons of great articles on http://www.fishthebaja.com/ (also two seasons of their show is on youtube).... if you scroll to the bottom of the page, on the right hand side, there is a drop box with Archives of articles/blogs from 2009 onward. Wesley is one of the guides/friends in many of the pics too!

Here's a couple I found interesting:

estimated 5-600lb Black Marlin capsizes this 35′ Sportsfishing boat  http://www.fishthebaja.com/2013/02/

HUGE Great White caught in Sea of Cortez!
http://www.fishthebaja.com/2012/04/

Check out the pix of this guy reeling in a 36″ Northern Pike and a 56″ Pike weighing 55 pounds eats it.
http://www.fishthebaja.com/2012/02/

Record Marlin caught off Cabo San Lucas (SERIOUSLY??? 20 friggen 8 hours fighting it?!?  1200 lbs landed with 60lb mainline - WOW!)
http://www.fishthebaja.com/2011/10/

Surf Fishing Setup Rods, Reels, Line, Lures and Surf Fishing Belt…
http://www.fishthebaja.com/2011/02/

BIGGEST Fly reel I've never seen! LOL
http://www.fishthebaja.com/2010/11/

Lots of reading (some advertising from his sponsors, but we know the bills need to get paid ;) )

One lucky guy to make a living being hosted by these places!!!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 10:44:00 AM by scouterjames »
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

stormhaven

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2014, 11:50:32 AM »

Thanks for the post tons of great info .
Were heading back at the end of October giving me enough time to save up for a new surf rod .
Shame there's not much use for them here .

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2014, 12:07:48 PM »

Thanks for the post tons of great info .
Were heading back at the end of October giving me enough time to save up for a new surf rod .
Shame there's not much use for them here .

Looks like equipment available for a $25 donation to local charity.... Needs to be booked in advance!
http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g152516-i209-k6215911-Surf_fishing_Melia_cabo_real-San_Jose_del_Cabo_Los_Cabos_Baja_California.html

From that link:
"Fast retreive on the artificial lures. You can get fishing tackle in Cabo at Minervas or Jansen Tackle. If you need a Surf rod and Reel I have new equipment available. Its a 13' Surf rod and reel 22lb test line with lures, swivels, knife and fanny pack. We make this equipment available to any TA readers for the week they are in Cabo. All we ask is a donation for a Local charity that helps the poor in Cabo. (Our Angel Tooleys project smiles)

Contact me for reservations. We suggest a $25 donation if interested. No business in Cabo offers Surcasting equipment. This is top of the line equipment."

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2014, 12:10:50 PM »

A little more info on the equipment.... same guy.

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g152515-i84-k4330555-o70-Surfcasting_equipment_now_available_in_Cabo-Cabo_San_Lucas_Los_Cabos_Baja_California.html

Great news! I purchased an excellent surfcasting rod and reel for any one on this site to use for the week when they are in Cabo. Tyler the manager/owner of Desperados will give the equipment to anyone who would like to use it.

The only thing we ask is that a donation be made to TOOLEYS (Lyndie) Food Drive ($25). This gives anyone a great chance to fish in this world class location and also help out a terrific cause. We encourage anyone interested to give it a try. Its a great opportunity to fish the surf.

Just bring some lures to use. Surfcasting does not require a liscense. Any questions send me a message. Have fun...Rocky

DRP79

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2014, 05:59:47 PM »

I see I forgot to post those pics of the snappers. Ill take a look for them. Ill be looking to book another trip for the spring early summer and I find myself looking for places with the best fishing opportunities. My GF doesnt think the same way but its become one of my criteria, lol.

I would have no issue going back to Cabo and spending a morning or two on the beach with Wesley again and will do so again at some point but I want to check out the Mayan Riviera as well. In research, I see there are some nice opportunities to fly fish on that side. Im not really a fly guy yet but I would not pass up the opportunity.

While I may, at some point, start bringing my own gear. I think that a guide with good local knowledge is well worth it for at least the first trip out.

Anyone with more knowledge on fishing on the Mayan side, feel free to chime in. Something sounds quite fun about hitting a large tarpon on a fly.

stormhaven

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2014, 06:24:50 PM »

Bringing your own gear in my opinion is always the best plan.
 Nice to see that someone will
Lend you there Rod and reel while your there though.
I just enjoy the freedom of getting up every morning at 6am and hitting the surf.
If you are planiing on taking your own gear i whould recomend the Bazooka rod holder .
I found one at Pacific Angler for $89.00.

vandenhooff

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2014, 11:11:49 PM »

I always bring my own gear because I trust my gear. Two custom built surf rods by Anyfish Anywhere, UK. Their 11' Estuary (1-3 oz) and their 12' Universal (2-5 oz). Two high speed Daiwa Saltist spinning reels with manual bails - you have to manually close the bail - nothing like an automatic bail closing before the lure hits the water hence snapping your line. The reel you bring is very important. It must have a high retrieval rate. I believe my two reels retrieve 48 and 53 inches of line per crank. You want your lure skipping across the surface in order to be effective.

Last year Alaska Airlines charged $20 for two rods and a tackle box.

I made my own tubes using plumbing tube from Home Depot. One end is glued shut, the other has a screw top. Not fancy but rugged enough and relatively inexpensive. I tape the tubes together. I put a piece of sponge in the bottom before I slide my rod in, then another on top.

50-65 pound braid with a 40 pound mono or Fluoro leader about four feet long. Heavy duty swivels are used to join the lines;

If you want detailed info on gear suggestions including rods, reels, line, swivels, tackle, and how to pack/carry your gear while walking the beach read either of the links I have provided below. They're both written by the same guy; an extremely knowledgeable and well respected Mexico surf fishing guide.

http://surfishmexico.pbworks.com/w/page/19215735/Surf%20fishing%20Mexico%20in%20solitude
For the above page there are many topics, use the navigator in the right margin to read the entries.

http://www.stripersonline.com/t/483607/a-gear-list-for-the-freelancing-tropical-surf-fisherman

Good luck.

I headed to SJD soon. Can't wait.

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2014, 07:15:07 AM »

The surf fishing Mexico article pretty much describes the experience beautifully.I can not wait to get back there.
Riverman

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2014, 08:28:49 AM »

Last year Alaska Airlines charged $20 for two rods and a tackle box.

I just flew with Alaska & didn't have to pay extra for my gear.
I tell them "it is not 'luggage'" and they seem satisfied with that.
After telling the woman that it was fishing rods in the tube, she said "ok, that's what I needed to know".

I made my own tubes using plumbing tube from Home Depot. One end is glued shut, the other has a screw top. Not fancy but rugged enough and relatively inexpensive. I tape the tubes together. I put a piece of sponge in the bottom before I slide my rod in, then another on top.

I have the same tubes - home-made from pvc with a screw top.

50-65 pound braid with a 40 pound mono or Fluoro leader about four feet long. Heavy duty swivels are used to join the lines;

Use the same setup but with a shorter leader - 2 to 3 feet - 50 lb mono.
Unfortunately, I bought some new heavy duty ball bearing swivels before heading out but didn't notice they had split rings on them.
Total pita - I can undo the rings by hand by pulling on the line.
I use an albright knot and go straight braid to mono - not ideal but no other choice.

I have been using 4" buzzbombs with limited success but understand you want to have your lure on the surface.
I have a couple of "popper" style lures but how do you cast them since they have little weight? 
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 08:31:15 AM by Easywater »

sandy999

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2014, 09:19:08 AM »

Hey mate,

I am going to have a solid 4-5 days of surf fishing with Wesley in August, definitely check him out.

Look what they landed this morning:

I am so totally jealous!!!!!

vandenhooff

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2014, 09:21:39 AM »

Hi Easywater, thanks for joining the conversation.

I just flew with Alaska & didn't have to pay extra for my gear.
I tell them "it is not 'luggage'" and they seem satisfied with that.
After telling the woman that it was fishing rods in the tube, she said "ok, that's what I needed to know".

That's interesting. I wish Alaska was consistent with the application of their own rules. How many tubes did you bring with you? Did you bring a separate tackle box (and was it free too?) or did you put your tackle in your checked baggage?

I have been using 4" buzzbombs with limited success but understand you want to have your lure on the surface.
I have a couple of "popper" style lures but how do you cast them since they have little weight?

As I wrote above I bring two rods. Lures range in weight from 1.5 - 4 oz. My bucktail jigs are the lightest (1.5 - 2.0 oz) and I use my lighter rod for those.

I also pack a selection "handmade" wooden plugs; because of their surface area and ocean winds it can be difficult to get distance. For a ton of information on surf casting including purchasing wooden plugs, rods, reels, etc. check out:

http://www.stripersonline.com/f/204/plugs-want-to-sell

Here's a peek of a portion of my wooden plug collection. Some are quite beautiful and will never touch water.