Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What is the average daily # of hatchery steelhead bonked in the last week or two  (Read 10918 times)

norm_2

This is for the Vedder/Chilliwack.  Would it be 10, 20, 30?  I assume some of you have information on this.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season

you're kidding right? obviously you're not an avid steelheader...10? 20? 30?....daily average?...based on what? fisherman's tale?

MERC

• Old Timer

If you're talking about the total number of fish hooked by all the fishermen fishing, that's an impossible number to figure out since a lot of people don't post about fish they caught.  For example, on the 28th, I think Fred's weighed 17 fish but not everyone, including myself weigh my fish at Fred's.  I'm sure some statistician could extrapolate a number but then again, who knows?
President Club S. C. & P.

fyrslyer

I'm guessing on average 20/day

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook

Man you guys have no idea... depending on when a run is coming through or not the numbers can fluctuate. Weekdays tend to get less pressure, so likely less fish will be caught.

On the 28th I released a small hatchery before wacking a 15lb doe. yesterday I released a small hatch does first thing in the morning, and came back to the same spot at the end of the day too see that same fish wacked.

During that Tuesday-Thursday push of fish after the wate cleared up, I know of a bunch of guys who were into 10-40 fish in those days.

There cant be an average, but it can only keep getting better.
The Bigger The Better!

Dennis.t

• Old Timer

Man you guys have no idea... depending on when a run is coming through or not the numbers can fluctuate. Weekdays tend to get less pressure, so likely less fish will be caught.

On the 28th I released a small hatchery before wacking a 15lb doe. yesterday I released a small hatch does first thing in the morning, and came back to the same spot at the end of the day too see that same fish wacked.

During that Tuesday-Thursday push of fish after the wate cleared up, I know of a bunch of guys who were into 10-40 fish in those days.

There cant be an average, but it can only keep getting better.
There is a average for everything. Too many unknowns such as # of anglers out on any givin day and # of fish bonked per day makes it unknown.I would guess that on a average day there are around 100 to 200 anglers fishing and out of those only 10 % will catch and kill a hatchery fish. So on busy days at the peak of conditions 20 to 30 fish killed per day sounds about right.

Danube Boy

If you wanted to come up with numbers of some useful accuracy, you could start by categorizing the fishing conditions as prime, average, and poor. Then you would have to set certain measurable parameters to define each category (visibility, water level, water temperature, etc). Figure out what percentage of killed fish get recorded/weighed in (difficult but possible), and then use this number to adjust your future numbers of daily kept fish. In each month figure out how many days of each condition category there were and how many fish were killed that day and divide that by the number of days that category occured. So for each month, you would have average daily numbers that would belong to a number of categories (in this case three). To account for various other unknowns and anomalies is exactly why you would compute the numbers for a 28/30/31 day period so it all averages out.

To make it easier for you, I'll pm you with the number of fish I catch.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 09:43:03 PM by Danube Boy »

NiceFish

• Old Timer

to come up with a number, it's series of complex trigonometry and algebraic equations, but lets just say that if you do not carry the 1, then you will come up with an incorrect number, you must also consider fish/per casts category as well, but the important thing is to maintain all the necessary parameters of the situation.

it can also be calculated, down to 3 decimals points that the lower river, below the crossing, seems to statistically produce more fish, while, oddly, the mid-river from crossing to tahamhi seems to have come away with the lowest rating in the 3 "sections" of the river. However over the course of a 20 year cycle, the upper river constantly seems to produce fish per day per 100 anglers, that is a fact.

food...for thought

Sterling C

• Old Timer

to come up with a number, it's series of complex trigonometry and algebraic equations, but lets just say that if you do not carry the 1, then you will come up with an incorrect number, you must also consider fish/per casts category as well, but the important thing is to maintain all the necessary parameters of the situation.

it can also be calculated, down to 3 decimals points that the lower river, below the crossing, seems to statistically produce more fish, while, oddly, the mid-river from crossing to tahamhi seems to have come away with the lowest rating in the 3 "sections" of the river. However over the course of a 20 year cycle, the upper river constantly seems to produce fish per day per 100 anglers, that is a fact.

food...for thought

I want some of whatever it is you're on  ;D
Actions speak louder than words.

DionJL

• Old Timer

What drug makes opinion become fact????

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season

I want some of whatever it is you're on  ;D

lol... as funny as it sounds, nicefish is correct in the sense of formulating an average based on statistical mathematics...but without known set variables (or data) it's no more than an educated guesstimation at best.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 01:14:02 AM by blaydRnr »

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer

BONKED is the operative word.
CAUGHT would be different.

Myself I've yet to bonk because I give myself an approximate time to fish and with a one fish limit (and a yearly limit) the BONK ends the day and possibly the year.
I've had the misfortune of catching in the first few casts but because I'd planned to make a day of it: released and continued on.
It's not salmon season where you can kill one and continue on. (I have a bit of travelling to fish there.)
It's not about the meat it's about the fishing.
Those who live close may take more advantage BUT pay attention to your license.
Those that don't get out too much probably tend to BONK more (to prove they got something).

bigblue

• Old Timer

This is for the Vedder/Chilliwack.  Would it be 10, 20, 30?  I assume some of you have information on this.

I don't think even God would know the answer to your question.  ;)

ribolovac02

|
This is good stuff,put me out of my chair  ;D ;D

Nuggy

I say it`s five based on the information I have ;)

Cheers
Nuggy