Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gear Help  (Read 8115 times)

barracuda

Gear Help
« on: April 19, 2006, 02:42:52 PM »

Hey Guys,

As you may have read, I'm from Toronto and was planning on fishing the Cap in July for Coho. With airplanes being as they are now, was thinking of just picking up a rod when I got there (instead of lugging a likely underpowered/unfashionable 13' float rod from here). I was hoping you guys might be able to give me an idea (or even better, model names) of what kinda rod would fit the task in a sportsmanlike fashion. Would need a spinning reel/sliding band seat as the centerpin below would be mounted on it.

Furthermore, what pound test would you suggest?

Thanks a million,
tom

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Gear Help
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 03:06:57 PM »

Tom, I use a 10 1/2' Sage 2106 with a single action reel (Hardy Silex). Most of the cohos are caught float fishing roe, roe bags, krill and dew worms. You can also catch them casting spinners and small spoons such as Krocodiles. Cohos in the Capilano are not particularly big at that time of year. They average 2 - 4 pounds. In terms of line I use 10 lb. test with size 2-4 hooks.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 03:10:53 PM »

Or a G.Loomis GL2 is good choice too.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 03:17:31 PM »

I would personally bring my own rod from back home. Most airlines allow you to bring luggage of that nature at no extra cost. Also, as mentioned before, the coho present in the Cap in july are typically quite small and the river at that time is not particularly powerful.
Actions speak louder than words.

barracuda

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 04:04:39 PM »

Thanks for the responses thus far guys!

As you guessed FF, it's an Angling Specialties offset. I'm hoping there aren't too many others out there..  :o

Biffchan, it's a 13' 2-piece (Frontier MX) and really, it'd be well suited for the specs you guys indicated. Was under the impression that rods of this length were frowned upon out there though and there's the additional logistical headache of rod protection (especially when each piece is 6'6" with high-frame guides). I will definately look into whether or not the airline will let me bring such. Jus another item to the pile of ever-growing list of fishing items to bring.  ;D

cheers.

itosh

• I EAT llamas!
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 11:49:08 PM »

Be sure to fabricate a locking device on your rod tube also or at least duct tape the crap of the end cap to discourage potential theft.  Is your rod a "noodle" rod (something that isn't really used in BC) and how heavy a main line do you run on it?

Shane

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 11:53:15 PM »

No charge on rod tubes when checked in as a luggage for your flight, at least not for international anyways. For international flights, Star Alliances' airlines allow two luggages, so I usually have one normal luggage, and my rod tube which carries four rods. For my rod tube, I check it in as a special/fragile luggage. As itosh mentioned already, tape the ends. I usually do, but forgot during my last flight to Denmark. The cap was not on the tube when I arrived but luckily all rods were still inside.

barracuda

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 09:30:20 AM »

Guess I'll hafta swing by the local hardware store to see what's available. High frame guides considered, it'll prolly be 3" PVC. Any ideas on how to go about fabricating a locking device on this?

The rod could be classified as a noodle by some but I'd consider it as more of just a float rod. The backbone and speed of the rod are significantly greater than that of 'traditional' noodles. I normally run a 10lb ironsilk mainline (which is really equivalent to 12lb) and anywhere from a 4-8lb leader. I don't doubt that the power of the rod when fished with an 8lb leader would be roughly equivalent to that of a 10'er with a 10lb leader. And as Bill said, "they are unfriggen be-leaveable to fight coho on".  ;D Catch a lot of chinooks (to 35lb), steelhead (to 20lb), and coho (to 20lb) in the small/mid-sized rivers here and power has never been an issue.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 09:33:10 AM by barracuda »

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2006, 10:03:07 AM »

Hey there Bill,  as all the members here have indicated, the fish on the cap are relatively small so your noodle rod should be great.  I fish a 6 weight fly rod blank with a center pin up to a sage 3113mb which can easely handle a 30-40lb fish.  Generally I choose my rods based on the level of the river...and thats the tricky part. 

Being a dam controlled river in a water shed that is classified as a rain forest, the cap is prone to huge river level swings.  I have seen it rize and fall several times in a day by up to 6 feet. 

When its up, I usually stick to my 3113 jsut for the added back bone.  I rarely fish more than 10 lb leader even in the high water so if you can lean back on your rod if needed with 10lb leader, then that rod should be fine.  Don't worry about the length, much of the cap is canyon/deep pool fishing so a long rod is good.   

Based on the huge snow packs we have this year, I think we will see less extreme swings in the flow and a more consistent average so hopefully a raging river wont be an issue but you never know.

As well, fishing down in the mouth of the capilano can be great.  Fishers have great success there throwing croc, blue fox spinners, small buzzbomb, etc.  If you have a spinning rod 8.5 feet+ I would bring that as well.  Just remember to fish the mouth you need a salt water liscence too.

barracuda

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2006, 12:45:51 PM »

You guys got me stoked to get out there and fish it up! So far, this is the outfit I intend on using:

Reel: 4.5" Angling Specialties Offset (as per photo above)
Rod: 13' 2-piece Frontier MX 4-8lb line medium action
Main Line: 12lb Berkley Ironsilk
Leader: 8lb Siglon Fluorocarbon
* Floats: 4.5g - ?? (currently have up to 11g zepplers)
* Weight: Shots, pencil lead, slinkies? (we almost always run shot out east)
* Hooks: #2-6 Daiichi 1150
* Bait: 4" Berkley Pink Worms, #2-6 black/purple wooly buggers, and ??

The last few things I'm not too sure about. What do you guys think, how's the outfit look?

Thanks again for the continually great info!  ;D

p.s: Bill, what's a St.John?

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2006, 12:50:12 PM »

You guys got me stoked to get out there and fish it up! So far, this is the outfit I intend on using:

Reel: 4.5" Angling Specialties Offset (as per photo above)
Rod: 13' 2-piece Frontier MX 4-8lb line medium action
Main Line: 12lb Berkley Ironsilk
Leader: 8lb Siglon Fluorocarbon
* Floats: 4.5g - ?? (currently have up to 11g zepplers)
* Weight: Shots, pencil lead, slinkies? (we almost always run shot out east)
* Hooks: #2-6 Daiichi 1150
* Bait: 4" Berkley Pink Worms, #2-6 black/purple wooly buggers, and ??

The last few things I'm not too sure about. What do you guys think, how's the outfit look?

Thanks again for the continually great info!  ;D

p.s: Bill, what's a St.John?

your outfit looks good.. I would make the suggestion that you would want to carry a number of different size leaders from 6 to 12
also there are many types of presentations you can use over here.. you will want numerous colours of yarn, blades, worms, gooey bobs, jensen eggs, grubs, fly's  any given day one of those will work, you just have to find out which one!!

also look me up.. I am located very close to the Cap River and I will be heading out numerous times in the next while.. maybe we can meet up and I can firsthand show you some of the places you will want to fish!!

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2006, 01:11:38 PM »

You may wish to carry some floats heavier than 11g. If the river is low, 11g should be fine but if it comes up you'll need heavier.

ko

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2006, 04:49:25 PM »

you might want to think about spring fishing the fraser then or vedder

barracuda

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2006, 09:45:26 AM »

Rick, the offer sounds great. Right now, it looks like I'll be arriving June 30 (and doing my last-minute gear purchases) and ready to fish the Cap July 1 and/or 2. Gonna be up for some coho action then?

Thanks for the float suggestion Biffchan. Will pick up some heavier balsa here and perhaps a few dink floats out there if the conditions dictate.

KO, don't much fancy fishin the fraser but there'd be springs (particularly those catchable with drift gear) in the vedder in July?

Cheers.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2006, 10:27:56 AM »

There a smaller run of vedder chinook that shows up in july. They usually start to pick up 2nd or 3rd week into the month so if you're out here around the 1rst you may be too early.