Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Inexpensive eBay Spinning reel  (Read 8489 times)

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
Re: Inexpensive eBay Spinning reel
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2009, 03:43:41 PM »

i also have the shimano snapshot reel from walmart as well. 30-40 bucks and it has caught well over 50+ salmon in over 5 yearsjust in the fraser alone. The reel is lightweight and the  drag is excellent..no problems at all. even pulled in a 20lb spring on 10 lb line just 2 weeks ago. if you are a newbie or just getting into the sport of fishing i would really recommend a local tackle shop such as Berry's. they help you out for whatever fish you are targeting. Can't get that kind of help from Wally or Crappy tire. :)

Scooterguy

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2009, 04:58:20 PM »

For me personally, I will like to try it out and feel it first before I buy it. ???Therefore, I bought mine from the big department store like Walmart, Canadian tire  :P...etc and try it first. Sometime, you buy an expensive/cheap reel but it did not feel right or it sux... you can returned it without hassle.   :-[ :-[

At least, I have tried it out and happy with what I got.  ;D ;D ;D

Drunker

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2009, 05:14:14 PM »

The big department stores aren't that bad.  If you know what you are looking for, then really, it's just the pricing that you are after.  But if you have no clue what you need, then yes, a local shop would be best.  But you can always do your research before looking at what you get.  this forum helps quite a bit when looking for fishing equipment.  I remember buy my first baitcasting setup at Army and Navy and the sales person was very helpful and the pricing was fair.  they pretty much work within your budget and sell you what you need.  Not all the department stores are bad, just have to find the ones that have someone with a bit of experience.  I went to the one near gastown.

minsyoo

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2009, 07:12:43 PM »

i also have the shimano snapshot reel from walmart as well. 30-40 bucks and it has caught well over 50+ salmon in over 5 yearsjust in the fraser alone. The reel is lightweight and the  drag is excellent..no problems at all. even pulled in a 20lb spring on 10 lb line just 2 weeks ago. if you are a newbie or just getting into the sport of fishing i would really recommend a local tackle shop such as Berry's. they help you out for whatever fish you are targeting. Can't get that kind of help from Wally or Crappy tire. :)

I've had mixed experiences at Berry's, soem guys will drop some SEROIUS knowledge on you, willingly. Some others, aren't too helpful.  :(

But with that said, going to shops like this have helped me out tremendously, and I probably woudln't have gotten the help from crappy tire, after all.

Drunker

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2009, 08:44:40 PM »

just out of curiosity, what kind of help would 1 ask for?

Nitroholic

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2009, 09:15:48 PM »

Line Rating (lbs/yds): 3/180, 4/145, 6/90

good luck with that

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2009, 09:21:35 PM »

i also have the shimano snapshot reel from walmart as well. 30-40 bucks and it has caught well over 50+ salmon in over 5 yearsjust in the fraser alone. The reel is lightweight and the  drag is excellent..no problems at all. even pulled in a 20lb spring on 10 lb line just 2 weeks ago. if you are a newbie or just getting into the sport of fishing i would really recommend a local tackle shop such as Berry's. they help you out for whatever fish you are targeting. Can't get that kind of help from Wally or Crappy tire.

this shows the difference between inexpensive and cheap.Those low end Shimano spinning reels are dog tough.Ive had several for over ten years, both came to me second hand.They are also very light weight and easy to service.way better than allot of lower end reels.

Drunker

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2009, 10:03:15 PM »

hahaha, what you trying to fish for.

mr.p

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2009, 11:19:43 PM »

As far as I know, most Abu reels are now made in China or Korea.  with the exception of the Record series.
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2009, 09:56:52 AM »

hm...high end shimanos(eg, stella) are mostly made in Malaysia as far as i know, can you offer an example that i may not aware of?

Think outside the box.

I said 'gear', meaning fishing gear in general. That includes some of my TFO fly and gear rods, fly reels, clothes, wading boots, digital underwater camera, wading staff, fishing backpack, digital scale, etc.
William Joseph, Simms, TFO are just some of the brands who have outsourced their production to China in order to cut prices down.
But they are still expensive if you are on a budget.

You want an example of high end spinning reels Made in China?
Check out the Daiwa "Tierra" and "Sol" series. Silk smooth, yet sturdy, zero vib...but most models will set you back well above 100$ and 200$, respectively.

As someone said before, the label 'Made in China' no longer necessarily means cheap brandless crap, but there is still a lot of that around, too.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 10:25:02 AM by milo »

Drunker

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2009, 01:09:11 PM »

Thanks Milo for supporting the fact that not all stuff made in china is crap.  It just gives consumers more options :)

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2009, 06:43:56 PM »

When you can pick up a decent reel for maybe $30 used, why get a cheap knock-off for $10 then spent $20 on shipping and handling?  Shimano makes some good, but cheap spinning reels...