Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Eat that!  (Read 3380 times)

vancook

• Old Timer
Re: Eat that!
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 07:56:24 PM »

Horrible. Poor quality fish for the masses.
I'll keep eating only what I catch

SteelheadAdict

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 09:22:41 PM »

Horrible. Poor quality fish for the masses.
I'll keep eating only what I catch
exectley what i was going to say

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 08:18:59 AM »

I'm sure for the folks that are used to eating the farmed stuff (or don't know any different) this salmon will taste just fine....

I prefer my salmon drug/hormone/GM free......  ;)
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

elroyperch

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2012, 03:23:41 PM »

there have been reports in ont,upper lake huron,of peaple catching monster size rainbow and chinooks,im pretty sure they are from stocking programs,goverment denies  gm fish but these things are huge! i think one rainbow was 43 lbs(i will check)i think it was a record but it beat the last record by more than 20LBS,seems a wee bit odd to me

elroyperch

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 03:31:09 PM »

i stand corrected that rainbow was 40.68 lbs and was 11 pounds larger than previous record, that was its weight by the time the ministry got it,anyway i still think that fish was on steroids!

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 04:49:56 PM »

i stand corrected that rainbow was 40.68 lbs and was 11 pounds larger than previous record, that was its weight by the time the ministry got it,anyway i still think that fish was on steroids!

It was a triploid fish that had escaped from farms that were once on the lake.
In fact, all the interior rainbows that are stocked are triploids, and could probably achieve that size if they weren't killed and had enough of a food source.

Most world record fish (such as chinook) when sampled have been confirmed to be NATURAL triploids.
The triploiding process occurs naturally in some instances. Fish that are triploided will put all of their energy into growth, rather than reproduction meaning they get bigger.

Cheers,
Dan

elroyperch

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 06:24:02 PM »

every day.. thanks for for info on triploid fish ,ive never heard of them,just curiuos do skamania fall in that category??

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 06:32:02 PM »

there have been reports in ont,upper lake huron,of peaple catching monster size rainbow and chinooks,im pretty sure they are from stocking programs,goverment denies  gm fish but these things are huge! i think one rainbow was 43 lbs(i will check)i think it was a record but it beat the last record by more than 20LBS,seems a wee bit odd to me

The biggest rainbow was caught in Saskatchewan 43 lbs. Lake Diefenbaker. By two brothers 4-5 years ago.
Stocked lake, maybe GM

bederko

• Fish ethically, always....
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 12:29:02 PM »

Everyday,Actually, in fact, not all rainbows stocked into the interior lakes of BC are all triploids.  Some lakes are still stocked with regular 2N rainbows as well as triploids.

Cheers

:)
A river is never quite silent; it can never, of its very nature, be quite still; it is never quite the same from one day to the next. It has its own life and its own beauty, and the creatures it nourishes are alive and beautiful also. Perhaps fishing is only an excuse to be near rivers. - Haig-Brown

buzzbomb

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 07:34:50 PM »

The biggest rainbow was caught in Saskatchewan 43 lbs. Lake Diefenbaker. By two brothers 4-5 years ago.
Stocked lake, maybe GM

The Konrads have taken the world record rainbow from Diefenbaker twice in a row, as well as the world record burbot.  The big triploid trout are likely either stockers or fallout from several mass escapes from a fish farm there.  Their website is fishinggeeks.net.
5% Alc./Vol.