Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stupid things you've done...preferably fishing oriented...  (Read 11360 times)

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
Stupid things you've done...preferably fishing oriented...
« on: April 26, 2005, 09:58:08 PM »

I saw this on a camping site, and there were some very amusing responses.

Here's mine. I was up north and had just got off work, and decided to go hali fishing, took the first boat I could find that didn't belong to anyone. Loaded up with all the gear I needed. Got out the GPS and headed straight offshore. My destination was ~4-5 km offshore. Did I mention it was foggy ? Foggy to the point that visibility was only a few hundred feet. By the time I got out there I realized that I could no longer see land. Dropped the gear, I was the only boat in the area, that I knew of. Got into a few, then the fishing died off. Called in on the radio for a report, low and behold, under the dash, no radio. Looked at the compass on the dash, it's stuck. I look at my options, I'm 5 km offshore, with no contact with anyone, can't see land, relying on a piece of hardware the size, strength, and battery power of a cell phone. After scaring myself for a little while longer, I pulled the pin and hoped that my coordinates were all decent. This is one of the dumber things I've done, instead of heading home, I head to another spot to try my luck.  ::) After a few more unsuccessful drops, I call it a day, plug in the last known position of "the big boat" and start gunning towards it. Everyone on the boat was relieved to see me, it was as if I had dropped off the edge of the world. I don't think I even told anyone where I was going...

Lesson learnt, tell people where you are, and when you're coming back, carry GPS, check all your gear is working (or that it's even present...), stay in sight of land (unless you have radar, etc), and most of all, check the weather. Common sense is also a useful thing to have...  ::)

What do the rest of you have to talk ?
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

Sterling C

• Old Timer
Re: Stupid things you've done...preferably fishing oriented...
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 10:07:49 PM »

The one day I forget my license and get checked by a C.O. happens to be the same day I experienced the best brookie fishing of my life in a spot that is now lcosed.
Actions speak louder than words.

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 10:17:15 PM »

:'(well mine was driving all the way to merritt and forgetting my rods wich i found out were left besides the truck. guess one should do a second check when packing at nite. ::) ::)

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 09:12:11 PM »

Spin fishing the Sumas Canal from the boat.
Snagged up and broke off.
Pulled a new Croc from the package.
Got my pliers and pinched down the barb.
Threw the lure over the side and picked up my rod to commence casting again.
Realized that I did not tie the lure to my line.
Ingored the laughts from my partner.
Pulled another new Croc from the package... 

Nostro

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2005, 08:26:07 AM »

Stupid? This one almost cost me my life.
I was still a kid (12-13), but already loved fishing. I had no rod or reel. I only had a long piece of fishing line tied to a short strong stick and a hook. I would bottom bounce, and if I hooked a fish, I would just play it off the stick. It worked! I caught fish. ;D
Well, this one day I got snagged badly. I went up river and down river, trying to get out of the snag. Didn't work. Sooooooo, I thought, why not tie the line around my waste, walk up river, swim out and drift down river with the line tied to me, and I would then pull the hook out of the snag. I drifted down river. Got to the end of the line. And, I started going under. The current pushed against my body, and I kept sliding further under, until, the line broke. Stupid? You bet! I will never forget to think twice again. The river is very powerful. I still shudder at the memory.
Be careful out there. The freshets are on. The rivers are rising. It's a dangerous time of the season.
Nostro
Never look a fish in the eye.

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2005, 09:30:43 AM »

This isnt fishing related  but its water related. I was snokling with a friend about 2 years ago. We were wearing wetsuits and wanted to dive so we borrowed his dads weightbelt. It had alot of weight! I think for his drysuit. I had no idea how much weight i needed so i stuck it on and swam out. I floated a bit so i thought it was perfect. wrong! When i got out to about 20 feet of water the huge air bubble that was in my oversized wetsuit came out. I dropped like a rock! As hard as i kicked i couldnt get to the surface. I panicked and nearly didnt release the belt in time but at the last second i got it. Without the wetsuits my friend and i dragged it back to shore in about 10 minutes. We willl never make that mistake again. As far as fishing mistakes...... I have kicked my rod in the water accidently in 50 feet of water. I have dropped a rockfish spines first on my feet that were in sandals :o and a bunch of others i dont want to remember!

tyee slayer

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2005, 03:18:24 PM »

I still got the marks on my hand from this one.......wasnt paying attention and grabbed a big dungeoness crab from the front......ouch! :o
Once a "Slayer" but have grown to appreciate and practice the art of catch and release

fishersak

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2005, 03:25:18 PM »

Ok I'm sure I am not the only one who has done this.

Putting the boat down for the first time in the season I neglected to put the bilge plug back in (I remove it to wash out the boat at the end of each trip).  Launched the boat and began bombing out to the fishing grounds.  Since I was travelling down the fraser I had my attention focused on picking my way around the dead heads, barges, and other hazards.  Didn't really get up to plane so the back of the boat was lower than the front.  Water was creeping in all the while, and by the time my GF noticed the water in the back it was a foot deep!!!...turned around and limped back to the launch site....took a couple of hours to drain the water...only made that mistake ONCE!

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2005, 03:44:36 PM »

Had caught a nasty chum and it was pretty lifeless, so I figured I'd just reach down and pop out the hook. 

While doing so, he decided to give a good "You're not taking me alive" thrash, and his canine tooth gashed into that nice fleshy part of the palm that's under the thum.   :o Took weeks to heal.  Had to fish the rest of the day with blood periodically dripping from my hand.  ::) Still scarred. 

Always with the needle nose pliers now.  8)

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2005, 07:40:41 PM »

Just remembered some other good ones, while coho fishing last fall I landed one, put down my rod and picked him up for a quick photo shoot. Just as the picture the fish decideds he's camera shy, bolts back into the river and drags the rod in with him, luckliy my brother was able to snag my rod and we eventually got it back.

Another story, this one from a few years back at the chehalis. I wasn't paying much attention and when I casted out my rod split in two and the top half got casted out with the rest of my gear. As I was reeling in I snagged the mother of all chums square in the back. (Did I mention I was using a croc?) Well baisicly it was a case of either land this fish with my half rod, or loose the fish and half the rod. Well turns out I eventually landed the beast after an agonizingly long fight. I'll never do that again.
Actions speak louder than words.

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2005, 07:49:23 PM »

In one trip out in my boat i was an idiot!!!!!!!! I forgot to open the vent on the gas tank. I put the fuel line on backwards and i forgot to put the plug in. I got just outside the marina and started to speed up and Pop. The engine died and the boat was really low and getting lower. We paddled like mad men back to the launch. To top it off about 50 people watched and came down to ask what had happened ;D Now all those things are second nature and i never forget. I was only 12 at the time and it was more my dads fault ;D

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2005, 01:19:26 PM »

In Maui couldnt catch anything off the pier so, being the practical twelve year old, i put on my mask and snorkel and swam out, rod and reel in tow to beyond the reef.  In the process i nicked my foot on a projecting piece of coral and it started bleeding.  I thought nothing of it and continued out.  It was winter and the whales had come to give birth in the bay where we were staying and hence there had been numerous shark sightings.  I caught a couple snapper or something and went back in as it got dark.  the next day a hammerhead shark washed up on the beach...

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Early morning bassing fun
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2005, 08:58:46 PM »

I guess I'll tell a story. ;)

Two summers ago, we were at Lakeside Garden by St Mary's Lake having our annual smallmouth bass trip. On our third day, I woke up at 7am (now that's early! ;D ) and was eager to take the boat out right away. I turned over and whispered to Nina, "I'm going fishing now, are you coming?"

Her eyes remained shut, and she proceeded to mumble words that I could not understand and shook her head briefly. Afraid of disturbing the precious beauty sleep, I didn't ask again and got out of the cabin to get ready.

I was dressed, rods were ready, boat was alll equipped, and ready to go. Nina came out from the cabin, all dressed, and said, "I'm going to the washroom."

"Um, ok...", I replied as she walked away. Minutes later, I cranked up that electric motor to full power and headed to my honey hole. ;D

I soon arrived, the water was flat calm, I was excited! The big bad bass were waiting in the reeds for me! The anchors were dropped, I whipped out the tube bait, flicked it into the reeds, fish on! One fish to the boat, two fish to the boat, three casts three fish! This was great!! ;D

A few minutes later, I turned around and noticed Nina was rowing towards me really fast.

Hmm, what's wrong now...?

She arrived, I had this ;D on my face. "Honey, the fish are biting like crazy! Three casts three fish! And they are all big!"

She replied...

<The team of FWR would like to apologize that we are unable to broadcast Nina's language as it may offend some of you.... actually, a whole lot of you!>

and...

"You were supposed to wait for me!!!! Why did you take off?? You wanted to catch all the fish yourself??"

Her face --->  >:(

My face went from ;D to :o to :-\ to ::) to >:(

There we were, at 7am, two boats in the middle of the calm lake, arguing away. :o

"But you shook your head!"

"I said I was going to the washroom and wait for me."

"Wait a minute, wait for you??"

Then there was a five minute silence.

"So... what do you want to do then?"

"Go back, drop this boat off, take me out again."

I'm thinking... " ::) The fish are biting...." <sighed>

"Well??" >:(

"Ya ok..." ::)

So she started to row back, I followed with the electric motor pumping along.

Then, the power ran out. ::)

I had no oars. ::) <-- last time with no oars.

"Um, hullo...."

"What?"

"Power ran out..."

<sighed> "Well, tie a rope to my boat then."

So the rope was tied, the row boat started to tow back the bass boat. ::)

Two angry people finally got back to shore, and we were about to dock.

There were three people sleeping on the floating dock for some reason....

Nina's boat ---> <BOOM!> onto the floating dock.

"Oops, sorry..."

My boat ---> <BOOM!> onto the floating dock.

"Oops... sorry again..." :-[

So we sat there for a few minutes, giving each other this look >:(

Finally we went and fetched out another battery. Off we went again.

Back to our fishing spot. The fish were still there, actually there were more. :) I think we ended up catching 20 or 30 each.

This is just one of many "stories" I can share with you....

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2005, 09:18:14 PM »

Dumb and Dumber. Which is which ?  ;D ;D

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2005, 11:29:35 PM »

My first time fishing the Vedder about 15 years ago.  I was fishing up at tamahi with roe and hooked  and landed a nice mint bright coho.  I promptly released it.  A few minutes later I hooked and landed and released another.  The guy fishing next to me was perplexed and asked me why I released such nice fish.  I said I thought you weren't allowed to keep wild steelhead in this river!  I guess I couldn't believe that salmon could be so bright in the river (my other previous fishing trip on a river was fishing for dark springs on the Stamp).  I wised up pretty quickly and bonked the next coho I hooked.