Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any Interest in a Poker Tournament Fundraisor?  (Read 12213 times)

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
Any Interest in a Poker Tournament Fundraisor?
« on: November 25, 2006, 02:09:43 PM »

Well, the Vedder seems to be in need of some help.  So I was wondering if there is any interest in a Poker Tournament to raise funds for work on the Claybank situation on the Vedder.  I know that this would take more money than we could raise with a Tournament, but at this point I would think that any money raised would help.  :)
  It would have to be a fairly big tournament, so any poker guru's out there, would you be interested?  We would need a place to hold it, and plenty of chips. Was thinking a winner take all, but that take all would be 1/3 of the money raised.  The rest being donated to a fund to help in off setting the costs of what would be a very pricey amount of work.  This may be a stupid idea, but just thought I would throw it out there and see how much interest there would be.  If there is a lot of interest, well at that point we could start working out the details, such as where, when and so on.  Buy in maybe around $50??  anyhow, if there is interest, just post it on here. :)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
Re: Any Interest in a Poker Tournament Fundraisor?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 02:50:55 PM »

That's a great idea!

The chilliwack fish and game club would be the perfect place to hold it...

Cheers,
nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 02:53:47 PM »

That's a great idea!

The chilliwack fish and game club would be the perfect place to hold it...

Cheers,
nicole
That's kinda what I was thinking, but we will have to see how the idea is recieved by everyone.  :)

CAPTAIN BONK

• Old Timer
  • THERE'S NO HEAD BETTER THEN STEELHEAD !
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 02:59:10 PM »

QUESTION !

DO U GUYS THINK THAT WITH ALL OF THE VOLUNTEER WORK AND DONATIONS DONE BY THE PUBLIC TOWARDS OUR RIVERS, THROWS OFF THE GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS AS THEY CUT BACK THE FUNDS ?

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 03:08:23 PM »

QUESTION !

DO U GUYS THINK THAT WITH ALL OF THE VOLUNTEER WORK AND DONATIONS DONE BY THE PUBLIC TOWARDS OUR RIVERS, THROWS OFF THE GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS AS THEY CUT BACK THE FUNDS ?
That is a good question and worth some debate.  I would hope that it would have the opposite affect.  By the efforts put forth by civilians, I would hope that the government officials would see how much people care about the future of our resources and step up to the plate in some stiuations and help out.  But I suppose this is but a pipe dream.  I don't know if the goverment would do anything regardless of what us civilians do. 
  But as to not side track this thread, perhaps it would be a debate put to better use in a new thread? :)

funfisher

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 04:34:01 PM »

Count me in if you are able to organize it.

frenchy

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 04:46:37 PM »

Just a naive question. Why does the Vedder need help?
I mean, for exemple, the Cheakamus, Thompson and lower Squamish had major pollutions in the last two years. I agree that in these cases, human should do something to lower the impacts due to humans.
But what just happened to the Vedder, at least for me, just show that this river is still wild. Isn't this a good thing ?   

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 05:04:18 PM »

That's a great thought but i'm wondering how a poker tournament will be received...I would be willing to help out if anything can be arranged...

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 05:05:44 PM »

Frenchy, this recent high water ate a bunch of shore line up.  The new path of the river is diggin into a number of different areas which introduce clay, mud, and silt to the river.  This makes fishing hard when the water  colors up, it fills in good spawning gravel, starves eggs of oxygen, etc.  If you see the slope/slide stabalization project that was completed some time ago up stream from the slesee trailor park, you would realize the benefit these project have.

On a side note BS, you may get a better attendance if you hold it closer to the city....my time is pretty valuable and spread amoungst a lot of things, putting that tourney out in the wack would make it unfeasable for me personally.  I may be able to help with a venue on the north shore or down town.

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 05:16:06 PM »

I am definately in and would be more than happy to help organize something like this !! usually in tourney's such as this you aim to get in the neighbourhood of 100 players ! with a entry fee of $50-100 a head.. top ten ( last table ) all get paid out.. but in this case I was thinking that instead of cash prizes why not get all of the tackle stores to donate fishing related prizes ! this way the top ten will still recieve a nice price but more importantly all of the money collected would be donated to the cause !! just a thought ... things like these are not super easy to organize but with some help it could happen !! we would need a place to hold it.. tables to play on , chairs, refreshments ... not to mention a licence to hold it in the first place.. plus advertising, collection of prizes ,
like I said I am more than happy to help get this going... is there anyone else out there that has experience putting something like this on ??

TR

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006, 05:24:06 PM »

Thanks Rick, Gooey and X for your comments.  I will be the first to admit that I don't really know what it would take to organize something of this nature.  I play poker, and organise a few smaller get togethers every once and a while.  So any help from people who have had handled something like this before.  Feel free to take the reigns and I will do what I can to help out.  As for a location, well we would have to see which area would be the best for attendance.  Mind you, we have to get enough interest first.  If there is interest here, then perhaps the idea could be moved to other sites as well.  Get the word out so to say... but only time will tell. :)

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 06:01:45 PM »

I havent finished reading all the posts yet, But my friends are into the online poker gambling, and the whole online setup is good. That might be another good way to do this if there is problems arranging a place and time limited. Just an Idea.
The Bigger The Better!

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2006, 06:10:09 PM »

I think the prize donation is an excellent idea...also ask our members and other forum members for them as well...If the tournament isn't feasible you could do a dinner or dance, silent auction etc.  I would love to volunteer for a doorman or bartender etc. We got Rick to be the male gigolo for the "other" crowd so that should be a big draw.. ;D :D...Honestly, This is a great idea and I think would also be something the folks that live out there would probably really appreciate...as well as something the river could really use...I think it would really be important to hold it out there as well. Sometimes we forget that we are walking into a lot of these peoples back yards so to speak and for the most part they welcome us with open arms...Doing something like B.S. has suggested would also be a great way for us to say our thanks and show our support for them as well...IMHO

weizen

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2006, 06:38:32 PM »

Interested in participating, going out of town for the next 6 weeks so not able to help organize, but will keep an eye on the thread for details.

shrek44

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 08:26:54 PM »

Im in for sure. I think the money prizes would be better as more people may attend. sounds like a great idea