Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder River March 9th, 2007  (Read 5326 times)

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
Re: Vedder River March 9th, 2007
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2007, 09:30:34 AM »

and both pics seem to show net marks..... I didn't even think you catch 2 sockeyes in a row and boh show net marks. Are there that many nets out there now? For what? you can't sell steelies even in the black market, or have any one been approached?

CAPTAIN BONK

• Old Timer
  • THERE'S NO HEAD BETTER THEN STEELHEAD !
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2007, 10:09:57 AM »

^ THE NATIVES WERE NETTING AT THE MOUTH OF THE VEDDER !

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2007, 11:04:22 AM »

and both pics seem to show net marks..... I didn't even think you catch 2 sockeyes in a row and boh show net marks. Are there that many nets out there now? For what? you can't sell steelies even in the black market, or have any one been approached?

Those don't look like net marks to me. Steelhead are always scarred like that, looks to me like they just rolled on the leader.
Actions speak louder than words.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2007, 12:11:54 PM »

Yup, I was thinking the same thing...Flossed!!!....

Just kidding... ;)

Boozi

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2007, 12:32:45 PM »

There net marks
They were nettin the mouth a litte while ago
Toss that Roe and get a Hoe

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2007, 12:46:54 PM »

Here is a recommendation to posters as well as those who are reading this. Without any documented proof (ie. photographs, videos, charges or press release from the authorities) to go along with such claims that you read on the forum, they should be taken as rumours instead of facts. Next thing you know (probably today actually), the words on the river would be "Fishing with Rod says there are nettings going on around the Vedder". It continues to amaze me, as educated as some members are, that words from a friend of a friend, can be stirred into speculations, which eventually evolve into facts. These apparent facts are then further solidified by characters, who come out of no where once awhile, because there would be no consequences if they are wrong. In the end, true or not, the First Nations are painted as villains who are apparently the cause of terrible steelheading days.

Secondly, someone brought this up in his reply but edited it. Bigfisher's report give the impression that he retained two hatchery steelhead from the Vedder on the same day. A reminder to those who are starting out that you can only keep one hatchery steelhead per day on the Vedder River. Once the fish is caught and killed, you must stop fishing for the day and record your catch on the back of your licence.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2007, 02:16:54 PM »

I think it's safe to say they look like Seal claw marks. :) Just to get some good old Seal bashing going again. ;D
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2007, 03:37:45 PM »

I agree with biff...not net marks and I worked a on commercial gill netter so I have seen a few net marked fish in my day ;)

Ribwart

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2007, 03:39:12 PM »

With regards to the rumoured netting on the vedder, DFO was informed, they followed up and investigated the rumors, and informed me no evidence was found of netting anywhere on the vedder. They have assured me they will continue to check in on the matter at various times during the season to ensure no netting is taking place. This was several weeks ago.

gongshow

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2007, 08:02:08 PM »

I think bigfishers roping his fish cowboy style  ;D

Randog

• Ultimate Sportfishing Adventures
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2007, 10:00:03 PM »

Here is a recommendation to posters as well as those who are reading this. Without any documented proof (ie. photographs, videos, charges or press release from the authorities) to go along with such claims that you read on the forum, they should be taken as rumours instead of facts. Next thing you know (probably today actually), the words on the river would be "Fishing with Rod says there are nettings going on around the Vedder". It continues to amaze me, as educated as some members are, that words from a friend of a friend, can be stirred into speculations, which eventually evolve into facts. These apparent facts are then further solidified by characters, who come out of no where once awhile, because there would be no consequences if they are wrong. In the end, true or not, the First Nations are painted as villains who are apparently the cause of terrible steelheading days.

Secondly, someone brought this up in his reply but edited it. Bigfisher's report give the impression that he retained two hatchery steelhead from the Vedder on the same day. A reminder to those who are starting out that you can only keep one hatchery steelhead per day on the Vedder River. Once the fish is caught and killed, you must stop fishing for the day and record your catch on the back of your licence.

This regulation can be VERY easily misconstrued and should be writen more carefully so that new anglers don't retain two steelhead from the "Chilliwack/Vedder SYSTEM" I bet if a new angler was charged for taking two hatchery steelhead from the Vedder/Chilliwack rivers he may possibly challange the ruling in court.  :-\

Chilliwack / Vedder Rivers * 2-4 ● Above and including Slesse Creek
(does not include Sumas River) ● ● Below Slesse Creek to Vedder Crossing bridge: (a) closed May 1-June 30;
(see map on page 37) (b) hatchery rainbow trout of any length 50 cm or less: daily quota = 4,
July 1 - Apr 30; (c) hatchery steelhead daily quota = 1, year round
● ● ● ● Below Vedder Crossing bridge: (a) fly fishing only, bait ban, hatchery
rainbow trout release (50 cm or less), and hatchery cutthroat
release, May 1-31; (b) closed June 1-30; (c) hatchery rainbow trout of
any length 50 cm or less: daily quota = 4, July 1-Apr 30 ;
(d) hatchery steelhead daily quota = 1, year round

Nice fish Big Fisher, seems your on a roll now 8)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 10:03:10 PM by Randog »

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2007, 10:15:43 PM »

To put things in perspective, I would hope an angler would not take something like this to court. The court system is busy as it stands right now. Let the legal system spend its time on dealing with crooks, drug dealers, murderers, and other low life, not on how many steelhead a person is allowed to retain.

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2007, 03:29:12 AM »

To put things in perspective, I would hope an angler would not take something like this to court. The court system is busy as it stands right now. Let the legal system spend its time on dealing with crooks, drug dealers, murderers, and other low life, not on how many steelhead a person is allowed to retain.

2nd that
hardware == fish

Randog

• Ultimate Sportfishing Adventures
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2007, 03:37:30 PM »

Dennyman, I think you may have missed my point. My comment about "court" wasn't the intent of my post, it was how the regs. are written very convoluted and someone may get the wrong idea if it’s meaning. I also hope that  something like this would not tie up our court system. Anyways, I don’t want to do any HIJACKING or I might find myself in litigation with the FWR court.  LOL  ;)

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2007, 01:19:50 PM »

In view of a photo posted on fishbc.com, showing netting on the Fraser currently by natives, are we very sure that these are not net marks even if they may not be from nets on the Vedder?