Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder Sockeye  (Read 3463 times)

marshal

• Hook Chucker
Vedder Sockeye
« on: August 20, 2008, 03:06:48 PM »

Howdy,

I have discovered a co-worker who has interpreted the fishing reg notices for the Vedder as able to fish for Sockeye.

Per the linked dfo page (below), there is an absence of info for Sockeye (i.e. it does not say that you cannot fish for Sockeye)....

I know the answer to this one, but for edification, my co-worker is wrong...... correct?   ???

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Freshwater/region2_e.htm

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
Re: Vedder Sockeye
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 03:15:44 PM »

You can fish but can not retain.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 03:46:52 PM »

And with the cultas lake run coming in soon it is best to not target them as fisheries will shut down the lower part of the river. They have done it in the past until the run has come threw.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 07:09:50 PM »

The best thing is to forget the word "sockeye" for about 5 years.

TwoLabs

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 11:19:31 AM »

I don't think anyone knows what to expect from sockeye.  This year's run in the Columbia River (heading to Wenatchee) was not anticipated at all.  Even in the Salmon River of Idaho they have a return so far of over 400 fish when they have been down to zero in some recent years with the teens being the norm. 

Keener

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 11:32:17 AM »

I guess thats a good way to stay optomistic. But better stay away from them to keep the decision makers happy... ;)

silverslab

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 08:53:20 AM »

I figure if they were lucky enough to get through the valley of death (fraser) then leave the poor little buggers alone and let them make thei babies so you can fish for them another year

Nucks

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 03:49:16 PM »

If someone is interpreting the Regsd wrong or is even thinking that they might be................one phone call to Freds would clear this up.

slider51

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 08:12:27 PM »

You know sometimes I wish  ppl could just have common courtesy and sense, endangered species or near endangered species. Why cant ppl leave the socks alone. And I am not saying about your buddy being wrong I am just generalizing don't mean anything about your buddy.