Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A hack. Daisy chain split rings for your lures.  (Read 2630 times)

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
A hack. Daisy chain split rings for your lures.
« on: November 17, 2022, 07:10:17 PM »

argh.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 07:16:03 PM by dennisK »

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
Re: A hack. Daisy chain split rings for your lures.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2022, 07:10:42 PM »

It occured to me after a few glasses of wine that daisy chaining split rings is a good way to use smaller eyed hooks. I took a picture. Hope it helps someone.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2022, 09:15:36 PM »

I use 2 to 3 inches of fly line backing tied to the bottom of the spoon to a smaller single barbless trailer hook so to not harm the fish I want to release. I was losing way to many cohos before switching to this method. Much better landing ratio since I started doing this. Saw it on this forum and gave it a try. It works.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 09:18:28 PM by Wiseguy »

ern

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2022, 10:18:16 PM »

I use 2 to 3 inches of fly line backing tied to the bottom of the spoon to a smaller single barbless trailer hook so to not harm the fish I want to release. I was losing way to many cohos before switching to this method. Much better landing ratio since I started doing this. Saw it on this forum and gave it a try. It works.

I remember that! it was poster 'every day' who always had great insight. Here's the thread:
http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=36501.0

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2022, 10:27:56 PM »

It occured to me after a few glasses of wine that daisy chaining split rings is a good way to use smaller eyed hooks. I took a picture. Hope it helps someone.

I notice that your hook is on a second split ring not on the main one. All of my lures have it on the main one and I did think a couple times that the limited range of motion might be affecting my results with lures with has been pretty poor? I feel like the fly line technique might be hard for me to do with over 50 lures.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2022, 10:42:05 PM »

Thanks, Dennis. Just a week or two ago, I was thinking about started a hack thread too! :)

I came across open eye barrel swivels a few days ago
https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/VMC_Black_Stainless_Steel_Open_Eye_Rolling_Swivels/descpage-VOS.html

Can't vouch for them but I'm thinking they'd be useful in avoiding a split ring when you want to add a swivel to the top of a spinner or spoon.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2022, 07:24:24 AM »

as long as the narrow eye octopus hook tracks correctly behind the spoon this looks like a great idea. If that's the case, Owner hooks have a larger eye & might be worth a try. There are also siwash ( open eye) octopus hooks available.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

GENERAL-SHERMAN

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2022, 08:20:21 AM »

Iv always used a swivel between the spoon split ring and hook for a similar affect . Way better landing ratios as well . Thought of trying the other method but I feel the noise from the metal clanging against the spoons wiggle might actually attract bites as apposed to a noiseless piece of fly line backing or Dacron or whatever . 🤷‍♂️ I’m sure there’s benefits to both

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2022, 08:31:11 AM »

I remember that! it was poster 'every day' who always had great insight. Here's the thread:
http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=36501.0
Yes! That’s the guy who was on this forum explaining the setup. Works like a hot dam! I always get a puzzled look when I ask for 6 feet of fly line backing to purchase. Lol
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 08:35:47 AM by Wiseguy »

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2022, 10:06:52 AM »

Yes! That’s the guy who was on this forum explaining the setup. Works like a hot dam! I always get a puzzled look when I ask for 6 feet of fly line backing to purchase. Lol

That's a good one too. Here's a simple breakdown on how to tie the trailin hook. I've also gotten it to work using 100lb braid.

https://outdooraddictions.wordpress.com/2015/01/01/the-trailing-hook-method/

Phronesis

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2022, 12:43:31 PM »

Good to learn new techniques, will definitely give this a try

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2022, 01:48:47 PM »

I have used the split ring daisy chain and had terrible landing ratios day after day. Switched to split ring-swivel-siwash and the difference was night and day but everyone should experiment to find what works best for them
I know how to catch fish.......Sometimes.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2022, 05:20:59 PM »

I have used the split ring daisy chain and had terrible landing ratios day after day. Switched to split ring-swivel-siwash and the difference was night and day but everyone should experiment to find what works best for them

I wonder if the effectiveness was due more to the increase in distance from hook to body vs the action generated by adding the swivel.

Would having a split ring+swivel+split ring setup also recreate that success you had... (I've got a lifetime supply of non siwash hooks and would prefer using them up)

« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 05:25:13 PM by dennisK »

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2022, 09:05:25 PM »

I've got a lifetime supply of non siwash hooks

I think the same could be said for your split ring collection…😀

sugartooth

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2022, 10:21:01 PM »

This is how I set up my spoons. Hook point up. No issues landing fish.
https://youtu.be/h_o6WMKTbzA