Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 30lb Braid vs 50 lb Braid for Float Fishing  (Read 4975 times)

Darko

• Old Timer
30lb Braid vs 50 lb Braid for Float Fishing
« on: November 16, 2022, 07:19:55 PM »

Hello everyone, I have heard many different things from different people about whether to use 30lb braid or 50 lb (mainline obv) while float fishing for salmon or steelhead. Some say 50 lb is overkill, some say it is easier to mend. What is your experience. Also have any of you noticed a difference of green braid vs high vis like yellow? Does the yellow spook the fish more? Has a shock mono leader been a game changer for you? Is it worth the extra visibility vs the spook factor? Keep in mind I float fish with a spinning reel.  I found this thread has lots of good info but necessarily much info on the difference between 20lb & 50 lb. I guess my question is more concerned with getting the best drift possible.
http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=38078.msg358507#msg358507
Thanks in advance, looking forward to your opinions.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

coastangler

Re: 30lb Braid vs 50 lb Braid for Float Fishing
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2022, 10:02:00 AM »

You'll probably won't get a lot of feedback since I doubt many float fish with spinning reels around here. I do think that spinning reels are superior when it comes to hardware so my feedback would be: use 15lb or 20lb PowerPro Spectra as it will allow you to cast much further when using hardware and it will be more stealth. I never heard about the mending point but honestly, if you want the most perfect drift, then you should considering investing in an actual float setup for next season. You can probably find decent deals in FB marketplace or even ask in this forum as I'm sure many have spare setups they want to get rid of!

Hope this helps
"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.”
Sir Edmund Hillary

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2022, 10:29:11 AM »

I'd say 50 is extreme. If you must have braid definitely tie in a section of mono. I use braid on my spinnnig reels for tossing hardware and tie in 10 ft of mono.

Spinning rod for float fishing..like our neighbours in the south. If its in your budget I do suggest in investing in a float rod set up for a more natural drift. Also I imagine drifting with a spinning reel is a pain in the butt.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2022, 12:02:39 PM »

I'm spooled up with 20lb. braid on the 2500 spinner . Seems plenty strong enough  .and with like vancook says , run a 10 ft. mono  line . I use a 12 lb. fluorocarbon .
As mentioned , a good drift setup rod and reel if your floating .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

Phronesis

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2022, 12:26:56 PM »

For my spinning setup, I use 20lb as well and have landed chum and chinook with no issues, I have tried both - float fishing and for tossing spoons/spinners....I didn't like it for float when I started out, so currently I only use it for tossing metals with 2-3 ft of 15lb fluorocarbon as leader

For float fishing with the spinning setup, the best drift you get is from your 10 to 2 oclock, I have had good success when the fish is right in front, but with baitcasting or centerpin I could drift it bit longer, I used dark green braid. I have seen people using high vis yellow braid and still catching them, but at that time there was overcast and raining so idk it might spook them on a sunny day maybe
« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 12:34:58 PM by Phronesis »

cabro

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2022, 02:29:08 PM »

I would agree with the above, especially the points that 20lb is more than enough and will get you the most casting distance and add a 10 ft bumper of 15lb-17lb mono or floro. The main reason you want the bumper, aside from being more stealthy is that it's really hard to pin your float on thin braid as rubber float stop slide too easily on it due to being super thin and slippery. You often have to add 2-3 stops on the top of the float to get it to stay put properly, much easier to do on thicker mono.

Thinner braid is also more likely to bind up on your spool vs heavier braid.

In regards to mending, braid floats so isn't as big of a deal to mend it vs mono but that being said, IMO it's slightly easier to mend heavier braid vs 20lb but not by much.

For me personally I run the following:

Baitcaster Float Rod

- 65lb Braid to 17lb 10ft floro bumper to 18" 12lb or 15lb floro leader (depending if white Chinook or Chum are in the system)

65lb is total overkill but I find I get less tip wrap with it so that's why I go so heavy.

Spinning Rod

- 20lb Braid to 15lb 10ft Floro bumper to 18" 12lb floro leader

So definitely some pros and cons either way, much of it comes down to personal preference vs right and wrong.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 02:38:41 PM by cabro »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2022, 02:36:26 PM »

30 lb. braid yellow

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2022, 02:40:30 PM »

thanks for all the responses!

65lb is total overkill but I find I get less tip wrap with it so that's why I go so heavy.

This is one thing thats been frustrating for me using 30 lb braid. That dam thing always seems to get wrapped, I was wondering how to reduce it.[/list]

cabro

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2022, 03:05:18 PM »

thanks for all the responses! This is one thing thats been frustrating for me using 30 lb braid. That dam thing always seems to get wrapped, I was wondering how to reduce it.

Bumping up to heavier braid definitely helps reduce tip wrap (which normally happens to me when I miss setting the hook) but only to a certain point. Only way I completely get rid of all tip wrap is moving back to mono main line and with mono, I just run 20lb.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2022, 09:07:36 PM »

A spin cast reel for float fishing? Let’s get reel (pardon the pun)! Invest in a level wind or a Center pin reel. Spool up either with some 15 pd maxima ultra green mono. I only use braid on my spin cast rod for chucking spoons. Casts way farther then mono.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2022, 10:22:00 PM »

A spin cast reel for float fishing? Let’s get reel (pardon the pun)! Invest in a level wind or a Center pin reel. Spool up either with some 15 pd maxima ultra green mono. I only use braid on my spin cast rod for chucking spoons. Casts way farther then mono.
  I will get a centrepin but I know that setup will cost me at least 250$ for a budget rod and reel so just working with I got. I want to master what I have and as I get more experience upgrade and move and try new things like centrepins and fly fishing. I just dont feel like I dont have the time currently to get as good with using those as I wish I could.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2022, 10:24:46 PM »

Bumping up to heavier braid definitely helps reduce tip wrap (which normally happens to me when I miss setting the hook) but only to a certain point. Only way I completely get rid of all tip wrap is moving back to mono main line and with mono, I just run 20lb.
I think part of the reason is because I'm currently using 4 strand braid, Im ordering 8 strand blue braid. I read that blue braid is best of braid in clear water which seems like it will be more and more common in the future.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2022, 08:25:15 AM »

I will get a centrepin but I know that setup will cost me at least 250$ for a budget rod and reel so just working with I got. I want to master what I have and as I get more experience upgrade and move and try new things like centrepins and fly fishing. I just dont feel like I dont have the time currently to get as good with using those as I wish I could.
Fair enough young man. We all got to start somewhere. I started with a Spin cast reel as well but quickly moved up to a Level wind. A few years later I purchased a Center pin reel. You will get there eventually. Tight lines.

cabro

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2022, 04:45:08 PM »

I think part of the reason is because I'm currently using 4 strand braid, Im ordering 8 strand blue braid. I read that blue braid is best of braid in clear water which seems like it will be more and more common in the future.

I was using Sufix 832 (8 strand) 30lb and from my experience, still lots of tip wrap. Moved to 65lb and it was better but not nearly as big of a difference as just using mono which completely gets rid of the problem for me.

One thing I haven't tried is a different brand of braid though. Might try next season and see if that makes any difference.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2022, 06:45:15 PM »

I was using Sufix 832 (8 strand) 30lb and from my experience, still lots of tip wrap. Moved to 65lb and it was better but not nearly as big of a difference as just using mono which completely gets rid of the problem for me.

One thing I haven't tried is a different brand of braid though. Might try next season and see if that makes any difference.
thanks for sharing! I need 8 strand braid anyway. My current one has almost sawed into my hands a couple times XD