Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Purchase Dilemma  (Read 12511 times)

stryker 07

• Piss on work,gotta go fishing
Re: Purchase Dilemma
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2005, 10:58:19 PM »

;D
80lb fireline!!!! ;D
Please honey can i go fishing now???

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2005, 11:04:07 PM »

If you gonna use it for beach fishing, i say go for the Rio "out bound" or airflo " forty-plus" both line are easy casting and will shoot like a rocket with the XP.  If you still having problem, you better check your casting.

Fishingbum

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2005, 11:18:05 PM »

Buy the line weight that feels best for you. Each of us has their own casting stroke and different line and rod combinations fit into each of our preferences. The outbound is a good line and has the same belly length as the RIO versatip but   is 50 to 60 grains heavier.  If you like the feel of a 7 weight line on the XP you may have to drop to a 6 with the outbound and a seven with the Airflo 40+.
 I also found that  when casting the XP it performed better using a line one rating below that listed for the rod, using a heavier line just made the rod feel sluggish.

Ian S

Stone

« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2005, 11:37:11 PM »

BwiBwi, How can an 8wt rod cast better with a 7wt line??

People who like to cast longer distances have been underlining their rod for years.  If you tend to strip in almost your entire flyline while fishing your fly, then overlining will load the rod with less line.

I agree with Ian...if you have a chance to test cast some lines on your rod, go with the one the feels best as there are sublte differences between different brands and models of flylines.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2005, 11:14:18 AM »

if you are new to fly casting, test casting may not help unless you get some lessons first. Rely on a good dealer's suggestions. If you can spare the $ get a multi-tip like the Rio versatip. Rod choices are almost dizzying. Set a price point then visit a few places to see what they recommend. All major companies have rods available at entry level to TOL price points. You'll get a lot of opinions on specific rods most of which won't be worth much to you (with all respect to those offering opinions). I'd go with a good dealers recommendations and the reputation of a well established company. Around Vancouver, Angler's West, Michael and Young, Ruddicks, Sea Run (in Coquitlam), Riverside (POCO talk to the owne,r Gary I believe) are a few places where the staff will know about out fitting a beginner. I'd recommend Berrys Bait but it may be hit or miss in terms of who is there to help you. Where ever you go call 1st and chat about what they have available and how they'll help you.

Good luck
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2005, 02:03:37 PM »

Here's my two cents; there are hundreds of different combinations out there and each one could be a mistake for you (in this sport mistakes can be expensive). As I teach in my fly fishing classes your rod has to feel right in your hand, and my your needs not someone elses. The right equipment will serve you for years, the wrong equipment will leave you unhappy and looking to unload it within six months. Overtime you will accumulate alot of equipment; IF IT WORKS FOR YOU. For example in my collection I have rod that are of the latest graffite to Greenheart and range in age from 2 years to 120 years old and I still use each peace for certain applications. As suggested try it before you by it. Don't get caught up in the name thing unless you are interested in bragging rights, much of the stuff come out of the same factory in the eastern world before it is brand name labled by wholesalers for distribution. The #1 rule of thumb is this is your equipment no-one elses period; take your time in finding "what you like" and don't allow yourself to be infuenced by someone elses prejudices.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

YY

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2005, 06:47:26 PM »

For an 8wt rod, I am looking at the Pflueger Trion reel. Anyone know if I should go for the 1978 model or 1990 model? I am pondering about it because reviews have it that the Trion has small line capacity.

shrek

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2005, 05:45:16 PM »

go with the 1912

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2005, 06:38:47 PM »

If you plan on using the reel in salt water/estuaries, say coho beach fishing, make sure the reel is anodized.  I don't beleive the Okuma Integrity is anodized but I think the Plueger Trion is.  I just replaced one of my rods with a Sage Launch from Highwater Tackle in North Van.  Like the rod alot so far.  Dave Steel is a great guy to talk to if you need some advice on getting started.