Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why do i seem to have so much trouble picking up casting?  (Read 17224 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
Re: Why do i seem to have so much trouble picking up casting?
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2005, 02:23:04 PM »

I appreciate all the help...i don't know why it's a problem but i'm having a really hard time keeping my elbow down and in...it wants to pop out shoulder high and outside...i understand what you guys are saying and i'm going to strap the wrist and possibly the elbow...my instructor is a great guy, he is telling me and showing me what you guys are saying...i just can't get my body to do it, right this second...i will practice long and hard till i do...it's just aggrivating watching someone who's very good at it, effortlessly moves the line out... he does it just like your describing, arm in etc. and it's so effortless...it's a thing of beauty to watch..and when i try i look like someone's drunk wingman doing an impression of a one winged duck...it's ugly...but i'm gonna keep practiceing till i get it right....hell i got all winter to work on it....just very frustrating..and your right it does hurt when your not doing it correctly..

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2005, 04:38:42 PM »

Don't just flayal your rod. Go down to Ikea and by a package of their velcro electrical tiedowns. When you go out to practise have a freind strap the rod but to your forarm (this is where the velco straps come in) while you choke up on the handle near the rod. This will isolate your wrist,like a splint. If done right you will not be able to bend your wrist. This will allow you to get a mental imprint of how the rod feels when it loads. If the rod is not loading it is not working. Think of the mental imprint thing this way; It's much like shifting a manual transmission. You can't do it effectively when you have to constantly focus on it.

Next; keep your elbow down. Your elbow should stay level with your floating ribbs. The movement is all elbow, NO SHOULDER, No Wrist, one straight line from rod tip to elbow; up and down. You may need to have a friend Strap your elbow to your side with a belt, or you could try holding a scarff to your side with your elbow. Raising the elbow allows the arm to pivot backwards on the backcast causing your line to drop.

Note - this WILL leave you looking like an idiot while you are learning.  Be sure you practice in an area of town where you aren't likely to encounter other people you know, and that your friend can be bribed with lots of booze ;D

I see yawn grasshopper learn more than just fly casting in class.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2005, 04:40:39 PM »

Golfman, i dont think its a problem limited to beginners....Ive seen lots of people who know better just lazily cast and let the wrists go a little limp.  I think though that if youre properly loading and unloading the rod your casts should still be long enough to catch most fish, your wrists will just be really sore at the end of the day.  Sometimes when I need to cast really far and am double hauling my wrists will be aching at the end of the day from fighting to keep them relatively locked.  Any tips on that newsman?
Wrist wraps

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2005, 04:49:53 PM »

I appreciate all the help...i don't know why it's a problem but i'm having a really hard time keeping my elbow down and in...it wants to pop out shoulder high and outside...i understand what you guys are saying and i'm going to strap the wrist and possibly the elbow...my instructor is a great guy, he is telling me and showing me what you guys are saying...i just can't get my body to do it, right this second...i will practice long and hard till i do...it's just aggrivating watching someone who's very good at it, effortlessly moves the line out... he does it just like your describing, arm in etc. and it's so effortless...it's a thing of beauty to watch..and when i try i look like someone's drunk wingman doing an impression of a one winged duck...it's ugly...but i'm gonna keep practiceing till i get it right....hell i got all winter to work on it....just very frustrating..and your right it does hurt when your not doing it correctly..

Don't worry about it, we all start in the same place. Some learn fast the rest take awhile. All that matters is that "YOU" get where "YOU" want to be in the sport. Don't stress your self out you have the rest of your life to get it right, take your time and enjoy the experince.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2005, 05:04:57 PM »

ya maybe i'll try some tensor banages.....might help.

Derek Mcl

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2005, 08:11:46 PM »

Watching fly casting videos can help.  The Vancouver Public Library has a fly casting video by Mel Krieger which is awesome.  His mannerisms get into your head and then you can never forget them.  Come to think of it, I think he has intro, intermediate and advanced videos.  I'd watch them all!

Prettyfly

• I have a website..
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2006, 12:05:29 AM »

Hi, I'm new and was following this thread.

I'm curious why no one has told him to mind what his line is doing.

One of the first things my instructor told me was if my line is making a snapping noise behind me, I'm not doing it right.

I'm no where near being even close to good, since.. I've gotten lazy with my practice, but that's what sticks out most in my mind. When my wrist would break (not remain stiff) my line would crack like a whip.

My instructor is not certified, he is a professional ghillie.
~They were displaced. Their use of the land and history as a people, such as it was known, was appropriated and used to advance competing European territorial interests.

~You've lived a life of privilage, one that was garnered by GREEDY thieves.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2006, 01:06:45 PM »

your instructor is right. Here is something else to think about, if you have a fly at the end of your leader when you hear that crack. KISS IT GOODBYE!

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2006, 02:39:16 PM »

as an update...i've been out a few times now but the rivers have been running pretty hard so not much chance at catching anything yet...the salmon rod with the rio adron. advant. versa tip is pretty easy to fire out there in the 75 foot range...only problem's i have is keeping the line out of the water and not coiled up too much so that it catches in the guides when i fling it....i practice (not as much  by choice but more as it's been sucking to much to get out)..about every week with my six weight and have gotten to the point where i can toss it in the sixty foot range pretty easily...not really trying for much further then that as i don't think i could set the hook much past that..and with a dry line that's ok with me for right now..practice mostly keeping the coils free and hitting spots....my biggest challenge was learning to get the line out as fast as possible and not screw around false casting so much...that's tough cause i love watching my rod tip while doing that and seeing how much line i can get out..but its not practical on the river worth a darn...

Pantharen

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2006, 03:59:39 PM »

Golfman, you might want to try getting a wrist bace with a bendable aluminum rod in it, so you can set it to the position you need. And try to cast that way, however I know squat about fly fishing, so this may or maynot help you....

I'll stick to chuckin gear, My casts are always bang on target :lol: