Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Interesting thread earlier RE: Abu level winds...  (Read 5795 times)

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
Re: Interesting thread earlier RE: Abu level winds...
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2005, 06:32:52 AM »

NEVER (or hardly ever) permit the line and the line guide to get a divorce....(allowing the line to slip out of the line guide during a lure change etc.....the line and the line guide are always in sync.

it maybe early in the morning but i have no idea what you are talking about.

can someone explain this in another way so maybe i can understand?

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2005, 12:56:20 PM »

If you dont have anything on the end of your line and you reel in your line all the way  and it slips through your line guide. Your line and line guide will become out of line (the line will feed in to the line guide on an angle.) 

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2005, 01:15:59 PM »

if it is that important why is this the first time i am hearing about line and line guide connectivity?

been fishing 20years and in all the stores and rivers i've been to NOBODY has ever mentioned this....

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2005, 02:11:01 PM »

I've had this happen to me before.  It caused my gear to snap off on the cast.  Although it did not damage my line guide I can see how this would put pressure on the line guide especially when casting. At the point when my gear snapped off all of the pressure would have been on the line guide.  One time instead of taking all my line off and reeling it back in to realign the line guide and line I loosend the pawl to realign it.  Apparently I over tightened it and when I got a piece of silt in it my pawl broke. The lady at the old Poco service center could tell I had over tightened the pawl.  IMO silt is probably a major cause of worm gear, pawl problems.  Although the Calcuttas are good reels they are not bullet proof. As I posted on this threadhttp://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=7421.msg67405#msg67405a  a while back I had a Calcutta 400 that lasted me less than a year of heavy fishing. At first my reel started making a slight whinning noise when casting, then my drag got bent out of shape (it would thread crooked and wobble on the retrieve) and finally it completely seized up and the warranty center was unable to fix it so they replaced it with a 400B.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 04:02:32 PM by Eagleye »

Ken D

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2005, 10:30:32 AM »

Wow, biff.....I can see why you'd have a negative bias against the product !!....most unlucky.
I wonder if _your_ line and guide were aligned, or were they mismatched? Were you using roe?
The borax/salt/other cure will clog the worm, right at the cross points either end, and cause the pawl to start plowing a new track into the worm, or skipping the track altogether, and gouging a gouge. If not roe, what about sand, or other tramp matter? The Skeena and tribs fishery is not that much different than the Fraser fishery, and things like your story don't seem to happen up this way.....weird.....
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 10:37:09 AM by Ken D »

ColinB

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2005, 03:10:01 AM »

if it is that important why is this the first time i am hearing about line and line guide connectivity?

been fishing 20years and in all the stores and rivers i've been to NOBODY has ever mentioned this....
:)
Not wishing to offend you Dennis, but it's pretty obvious if you observe the angle of the line between the spool and the level wind guide. ;)  If it's not running straight and true you will get a shorter cast and more wear on those moving parts involved in levelling your line.
Having said that a mention in the instructions of making sure everything is aligned properly would surely help!

Colin