Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Frustrated about the situation on the Capilano  (Read 9722 times)

Eagleye

• Old Timer
Re: Frustrated about the situation on the Capilano
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2005, 12:22:28 PM »

Once  years ago when I was guiding out of Granville Island I had the whole tribe yelling at me that I was on their land, I thought this was pretty funny when I was 100 ft. offshore fishing from a boat. When I would have clients out on a trip and the F/N would be yelling and swearing at us the clients would ask whats all the fuss was about I simply tell them that's what they call NATIVE PRIDE

this is another example that the natives are greedy hot heads!  They must think they own all the fish returning to the river.  You should of filed a complaint against them for harrassing you and your customers. 
« Last Edit: October 06, 2005, 12:47:39 PM by Eagleye »

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2005, 01:31:15 PM »

Yea but it would have fallen on deaf ears.....

so true  :'(

Just like when they started the river guardians to police them self's. How many arrests did they actually make againest there own tribe members????

I think that is the major problem with the AFS

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2005, 06:09:08 PM »

Matt Mcconaughey was on Conan last night and he talking about a "Shopping Cart Fisherey".F.N "Harvesting " Mentioned Squamish Nation a few times times almost fell off the couch! Way to go Matt.

I saw this posted on another forum. Did anyone watch conan last night?  It's good to  see Squamish F.N. joke of a fishery exposed. Hopefully this will pressure DFO to do something about it.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2005, 06:16:15 PM by Eagleye »

scalper66

• here fishy fishy
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2005, 08:30:09 AM »

was funny i saw it

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2005, 09:59:25 AM »

I HIGHLY recommend everyone tke a look at the DFO "aboriginal fisheries" section of their web site:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/tapd/default_e.htm

I think one of the largest problems is that indeed FN are treated differently.  But thats not the basis of the problem.  The biggest problem IMHO is that we continue to conduct ourselves (whiteman/government) based on accords, treaties, etc that were penned 200 years ago!!!!  Frankly I think that FN due deserve some special consideration...right now they are getting far too much consideration. 

Our friggin supreme court continues to make DFO's life way harder with literal interpretations of treaties that in some cases are 200 years old!

Look at the Sparrow Decision  or the marshal decision  to understand why managing the fraser is such a gong show now.

Sparrow decision: (http://www.parl.gc.ca/information/library/PRBpubs/bp341-e.htm)
marshall Decision: ( http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/communic/marshall/marshall_e.htm :  "In essence, the court said that Treaties signed in 1760 and 1761...BLAH BLAH BALH")

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2005, 06:36:05 PM »

Those who don't know how to fish, snag.