Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why use less than 30 pound mono anywhere?  (Read 11029 times)

Floater

• Old Timer
Re: Why use less than 30 pound mono anywhere?
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2005, 02:04:03 PM »

Hehehe the line bashing is off me now. :) I read a few of these post and one thing struck me was the comment about how is it a sport if the fish dont have a chance and im gona switch to  12 leader 17 main now. :P
[

mojoman

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2005, 02:11:17 PM »

Whoa! Wait just a moment here. The man did say he was trollin' the chuck, and I at least would assume he means targeting springs. 30 pound mono makes him a "Meat Fisherman"? I hardly think so. I've seen many many large fish lost due to running too light of line, and 30 is just about right for springs IMHO. You're still gonna have to play the fish, that is simply the nature of fighting energetic, chuck caught springs.

Now IF he had said he was workin' the flow with something that heavy, it would be a different story. BUT, he didn't. Take a moment to READ what someone posts BEFORE jumping all over them folks. It's just common courtesy! Gotta wonder if those who replied in that fashion have EVER hooked a HOT 30 to 50 pound spring in the chuck. 10 lb test my my friend!  ::)

Cheers,

Nog (who runs 400 yards of 80 pound test on each of the six wooden Peetz while targetting springs in the chuck, coupled with 40 pound leaders, and still manages to lose the odd fish/terminal)

nog....would ya believe a 34# chinny on 4# Maxima???????....naw,...you wouldn't....;))))
Lou will turn things around with his game and the Canucks will make their way back to the top of their division... Canuck's have a great chance of going all the way this year... maybe you can save this post so I can say I told you so in a couple of months Smiley

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2005, 05:47:03 PM »

Because my reel will only have 100ft of line if I use 30lb mono.  ;)

Randog

• Ultimate Sportfishing Adventures
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2005, 06:29:09 PM »

Why do some people scoff at meat fishermen? They go to their selected area, retain their allotted daily limit and usually leave. I have a problem seeing anything wrong with that. They don't hang around and torment fish after fish by C&Ring  just to feel the thrill of a tug tug on the end of their line. Don't get me wrong, I love to fish for steelhead and always release them. Does this make me more of a sportsmen than someone who would keep the same hatchery fish that I release? I don't think so. A couple of years back we went to the Vedder to fish for springs. My buddy was outfitted with 20lb. leaders, when we arrived at the river it was blown out so we headed off to the Chahalis to target summer run steel. He managed a nice doe on those same 20lb. leaders, (which he released). I know lots of guys who fish 15lb. main and 15lb. leader, to each his own.

Touchy subject :o

BTW, I have fished with Iron Noggin, and this man is the human equivalent of a drift net.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 06:35:20 PM by Randog »

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2005, 09:00:52 PM »

I haven't fished with mono for salmon, but my favorite when fishing the salmon river was 30lb cloth line with a 20lb leader.  By the time those fish reached the headwaters of the salmon river in Idaho their moths were pretty tough.  Anything much less than 20lbs and you'd break it just setting the hook.

On the other hand, on my spinning reel I have a bunch of mono rated at 6lbs, and it is strong stuff.  I'm amazed at how hard it is to break.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2005, 09:25:12 PM »

I was going to reply to this but it seems as though lots of people have made the points that I was going to make!!!!!!!
  So I'll just say that IF you are fishing say the Veddar or Chehalis, a 30Lb main line may work but with the lowness and clarity of these river sometimes, there is a really good chance that one would spook a heck of alot more fish then one would catch.
  As for the size of fish that you should be able to land on light line, I have had no problem MOST OF THE TIME, landing huge spring, coho, and monster steelhead on 6-8 lb leaders.  If you don't horse them and you show patience, this can be done without much of an issue.
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Straight Runner

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2005, 11:45:36 PM »

Well, ok I will have to think about all that. I used to buy lighter weight Triple fish, but the last few times I bought line, the lighter Triple Fish line felt different than previous spools, and too weak. I cant remember if it was 20 or 25 I was looking at.  I only troll in the salt. Usually run one line or two at most. Usually one on the dew rigger, somethimes a 16 oz weight on the other line. Always with dodgers and flashers and hootchies or spoons. Never chovies or herring unless I hook one. Never ever river fish. Went out fishing 16 times this year. Only hooked 3 Springs. No other salmon. Most trips trips were only an hour or two. Maybe its time to go back to lighter more expensive line. The triple was usually under ten dollars for 300 yards. Thats why I started using it. I just find it hard to believe that the fish are going to be spooked more by my 30 pound line than by 20 out there off Sandheads or T10 or Q62, but it sounds like the pros believe the thinner works. I also have to think about my favourite 18 dollar dodger that is no longer available.

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2005, 12:13:20 AM »

I am a MEAT fisherman, if that's what you you want to call me.

1. I fish to catch fish for food.
2. I do not harm or injure any creature here on earth for the purpose of fun, amusement and/or SPORT.
3. I do not need to prove that I am superior to fish.
4. I have no need to feel superior to any other fisherman.
5. I fish for the same reason that fishing was invented and/or came about.
6. I respect the environment and all the creatures in it.  To me these are all gift from GOD and must be respected, cared for and nurtured.
"Of the things we think, say or do:
1.  Is it the TRUTH?
2.  Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3.  Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4.  Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?"

By Herbert J. Taylor

ColinB

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2005, 01:27:39 AM »

Posing another question, that of Braid!

Most of my reels all filled with 50lb PowerPro [Same Dia. as 12lb Mono] as a mainline, and I use the appropriate leader to suit the fish I am hoping to target.
The cost of braid in the UK is an absolute rip off but it does seem pretty indestructable.  With it's low dia. ii's difficult to imagine using anything lighter than 50lb.
Even with 50lb bs line, a 20lb Spring ran off about 150 yards and had me stumbling down the banks of the Harrison in luke warm pursuit.

Another thing to remember is that continual casting weakens line considerably so check your knots and re-tie them on a regular basis whatever BS you may be using.

Colin

Double Underhooks

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2005, 10:01:47 AM »

Posing another question, that of Braid!

Another thing to remember is that continual casting weakens line considerably so check your knots and re-tie them on a regular basis whatever BS you may be using.

Colin

Good point. Seems like braided line breaks very easily if theres even a small weakspot. Try stretching a piece of braided line and just 'touch' it with an exacto blade, breaks clean right away!
A mono would hold up a bit better.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2005, 12:31:09 PM »

So you need to cut braided line with knife. Now I know. I've been using scissor and it's a disaster (mind you that scissor is a tailor scissor).

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2005, 03:58:29 PM »

BwiBwi - Sharper scissors ;)

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2005, 04:40:24 PM »

I just use a lighter to cut the line as well as finish off the end.  The ends being enlarge from the flame prevents it from slipping and having knots come undone. ;)
"Of the things we think, say or do:
1.  Is it the TRUTH?
2.  Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3.  Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4.  Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?"

By Herbert J. Taylor

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2005, 08:10:02 PM »

With braid I wet my knots after I've tightened them and then retighten. I haven't tried the lighter trick yet I will have to give it a try next time.