Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I wish........ poor Gooey  (Read 9217 times)

Bushwacker

• I'm a llama!
Re: I wish........ poor Gooey
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2005, 09:27:53 PM »

I have to admit that every year, I enjoy the entertainment on various web pages over the whole sockeye fishery. I personally choose not to partake in the fishery as I really don't see a lot of skilled involved in having a fish run into your line, but to those who wish to have their meat or enjoy the tapping of the betty on the bottom, to each there own and enjoy when given the opportunity. That is where I belive part of the problem lies. We as a sporting community have forgotten that not that long ago (ten years I think) the sockeye fishery was completely catch and release. When the FN and Commercial guys were fighting over the fish, the sporties were sticking up for the silent salmon and asking for tighter conservation measures and restrictions on netting on the Fraser. In hindsight, (I've never been wrong using this ;D) I wish the sport fishery was never created for sockeye as its only led to bickering (everywhere), extensive poaching, limited opportunities, the shut down of an industry (extenuating circumstances contributed as well), flossing as a proven method to catch fish, overcrowding, assaults, break ins, abuse of fish, dissention amongst the sportfishing community and at times a complete disregard for the salmon and their environment. The people I feel sorry for the most are the bar fishermen who once enjoyed a peaceful recreation that now have been crowded out of there favorite spring holes to accomodate the other "sport anlglers" or have been forced to fish exclusive bars that are only accessible by boat and have fellow bar anglers marking their territory.  For those of you that are whining about well I pay for my license to catch my fish, why don't you wait till its open before you buy your license? For those that argue about paying taxes and that gives you the right to kill a fish I can't even justify that with a response as all Canadians (I know Fn are not included) pay taxes that go to fund various things that we have nothing to do with. Those of you that enjoy the sockeye sport industry, quit complaining about how its not fair, FN this and FN that, commercial openings and what not blah.. blah.. blah.. life is not fair, if it was we could all afford sage rods and islander reels and take trips up to the charlottes to fly fish for chinook. Be thankful (for the abundance of salmon) and take full advantage of openings when they occur, and if they don't save yourself a few bucks in gas money, gear or a licnese fee and take the wife or girlfriend out so that when there are fish to catch, she (or he, have to be politically correct you know  ;D) will let you go. Gooey, I have always told you that very little good (other than some meat for fishermen) has come as a result of the creation of the sockeye fishery on the Fraser  and you have taken some heat on these threads because of it. Yeah at times, he gets excited and passionate and at yes, maybe a little out of line, but we all get emotional over topics that we care about and at times we all lose our cool, besides he's type A and you should see him at our card games ;D. Gooey, wait till you see the chrome fish bug pumper and I are posing with, that will really get you steamed ;D. To the sportsmen out there, don't lose sight of why you took up the sport in the first place, if its to kill do it legally and when given the opportunity, be thankful for it. In England 90% (and other parts of Europe) of the rivers are private and you wouldn't even have access to them unless your willing to pay in excess of 300 pound sterling (per rod da). If its for sport, appreciate every aspect of it from the beauty of nature to the cold beers after a long day on the river. Enjoy whats left of the summer, because I'm praying for the rains ;D tight lines.

I was trying to read the above but wound up with a real headache.Probably had something interesting to read.... please...break it up into readable paragraphs!

lowlight

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2005, 09:45:13 PM »

I have to admit that every year, I enjoy the entertainment on various web pages over the whole sockeye fishery. I personally choose not to partake in the fishery as I really don't see a lot of skilled involved in having a fish run into your line, but to those who wish to have their meat or enjoy the tapping of the betty on the bottom, to each there own and enjoy when given the opportunity. That is where I belive part of the problem lies. We as a sporting community have forgotten that not that long ago (ten years I think) the sockeye fishery was completely catch and release. When the FN and Commercial guys were fighting over the fish, the sporties were sticking up for the silent salmon and asking for tighter conservation measures and restrictions on netting on the Fraser. In hindsight, (I've never been wrong using this ;D) I wish the sport fishery was never created for sockeye as its only led to bickering (everywhere), extensive poaching, limited opportunities, the shut down of an industry (extenuating circumstances contributed as well), flossing as a proven method to catch fish, overcrowding, assaults, break ins, abuse of fish, dissention amongst the sportfishing community and at times a complete disregard for the salmon and their environment. The people I feel sorry for the most are the bar fishermen who once enjoyed a peaceful recreation that now have been crowded out of there favorite spring holes to accomodate the other "sport anlglers" or have been forced to fish exclusive bars that are only accessible by boat and have fellow bar anglers marking their territory.  For those of you that are whining about well I pay for my license to catch my fish, why don't you wait till its open before you buy your license? For those that argue about paying taxes and that gives you the right to kill a fish I can't even justify that with a response as all Canadians (I know Fn are not included) pay taxes that go to fund various things that we have nothing to do with. Those of you that enjoy the sockeye sport industry, quit complaining about how its not fair, FN this and FN that, commercial openings and what not blah.. blah.. blah.. life is not fair, if it was we could all afford sage rods and islander reels and take trips up to the charlottes to fly fish for chinook. Be thankful (for the abundance of salmon) and take full advantage of openings when they occur, and if they don't save yourself a few bucks in gas money, gear or a licnese fee and take the wife or girlfriend out so that when there are fish to catch, she (or he, have to be politically correct you know  ;D) will let you go. Gooey, I have always told you that very little good (other than some meat for fishermen) has come as a result of the creation of the sockeye fishery on the Fraser  and you have taken some heat on these threads because of it. Yeah at times, he gets excited and passionate and at yes, maybe a little out of line, but we all get emotional over topics that we care about and at times we all lose our cool, besides he's type A and you should see him at our card games ;D. Gooey, wait till you see the chrome fish bug pumper and I are posing with, that will really get you steamed ;D. To the sportsmen out there, don't lose sight of why you took up the sport in the first place, if its to kill do it legally and when given the opportunity, be thankful for it. In England 90% (and other parts of Europe) of the rivers are private and you wouldn't even have access to them unless your willing to pay in excess of 300 pound sterling (per rod da). If its for sport, appreciate every aspect of it from the beauty of nature to the cold beers after a long day on the river. Enjoy whats left of the summer, because I'm praying for the rains ;D tight lines.

I was trying to read the above but wound up with a real headache.Probably had something interesting to read.... please...break it up into readable paragraphs!
Exactly, I have no idea what he's trying to say. Those are the three longest run-on sentences I've ever seen!  :o

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2005, 09:54:27 PM »

and he's a teacher too!!!!!!
Fish on!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2005, 09:57:47 PM »

and he's a teacher too!!!!!!

Hopefully not an English teacher.

crack a dawn

• These boots were made for eating!
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2005, 10:05:45 PM »

Your complaining about his run on sentences?? WOW,,He seems to be a great writer. 
Thakns.

winter steel

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2005, 11:40:08 PM »

Everybody is a critic, heh. ;D Next time, I will try and be grammatically correct for you Bushwacker and Lowlight (and there are more than three sentences in the post). Its just easier not to have to worry about indenting, a thesis statement, parenthesis, possessives, past participles, clauses, subject/predicates, fragment sentences, prepositions, principle and subordinate clauses (yes I am an English teacher).....hey, isn't this supposed to be about fish and not school.  ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2005, 11:43:34 PM »

paren...what....? :o

Good refreshing read by the way. We are all passionate, concerned, but with different opinions. Stay objective, avoid getting too personal, eventually the sportfishing community will learn and grow for the best.

Bushwacker

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2005, 10:47:44 AM »

Everybody is a critic, heh. ;D Next time, I will try and be grammatically correct for you Bushwacker and Lowlight (and there are more than three sentences in the post). Its just easier not to have to worry about indenting, a thesis statement, parenthesis, possessives, past participles, clauses, subject/predicates, fragment sentences, prepositions, principle and subordinate clauses (yes I am an English teacher).....hey, isn't this supposed to be about fish and not school.  ;D

Nice changeover from the original paragraph structure. All of a sudden my vision was correctively restored.Turned out to be a good read. Thanks. ;D

lowlight

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2005, 11:28:57 AM »

Maybe it's just that I don't know anything about the subject. I still don't know what a gooey is. Still, I hate to see an English teacher say things like "to each there own". Unless you teach in America ;)

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2005, 01:21:25 PM »

the title kinda made me scratch my head too.  i think WS feels sorry for me cause he knows how misunderstood I am  ;)

ps - take up the grammer issue with rod, we could all use a spell/grammar checker on the site  ;D