Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FWR St Mary Lake Report, July 24 - 26  (Read 7842 times)

fishin_chick

• Shut up and fish!
Re: St Mary's Lake trip, June 24th - 26th
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2005, 08:17:41 PM »

Wow! what a great idea this trip was!  Hung, I am sooooo happy that you finally nabbed those darn bass!  It seemed totally ridiculous for anyone to leave without catching lots and having a blast.  I can't wait till my nephew is old enough to come with us on a trip.  I only have one thing to add to my brother's report.... Why the heck get up after 5 hours sleep on a Saturday morning when I have ALLLLLLL day to go fishing  ::), all I gotta say is Dad and my bro are more then a little bitten by the fishing bug.  We swear dad even dreams about fishing in his sleep  ;D.  What a great time!  The picture (when I can get rodney to post it... :))is the biggest fish i have caught on my fly line thus far. The first one I had on, was bigger, but it jumped out of the water, freakin me out, cause I really wasnt expecting a fish that big after dropping my line for less than 5 minutes, and I lost it.... oh well....Soooo much fun!
Hi ho Hi ho...It's off to Fish I go!

canoe man

• Old Timer
  • and awaaaaaaaay we go!
    • brandywine marine
Re: St Mary's Lake trip, June 24th - 26th
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2005, 09:22:30 PM »

well i hope those pics get posted real soon
so i can show the powers that be just what i had to pass up this weekend
sounds like everyone had an awsome time
thanks for all the reports
cnm
president of the HANEY HOOKERS SOCIETY

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: FWR St Mary Lake Report, July 24 - 26
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2005, 10:47:33 AM »

Fishin Chick and TtotheE's photos

fishin_chick

• Shut up and fish!
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2005, 09:06:37 PM »

OK folks, so when do we get to go again?!!!!!  Anyone know if the fishing is that good all the time, or did we get a good time of year?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2005, 11:33:02 PM »

Early July should still be pretty good. ;) I think Hung is taking some friends back next week? ;)

Hung

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2005, 11:45:38 PM »

I wish I could  :-[  A couple of families in my residence were interested in visiting the island next week, so I introduced them to Mark.  They will be staying in the cabanas for a couple nights.  Initially I was going to join them too, but it didn't work out.   >:(

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2005, 12:02:08 AM »

I'll keep this short. ;)

Chrome Mykiss took this photo, awesome lighting!

The fishing was better than what I had expected. It was nice to see everyone, even though most of the time we were busy fishing instead of socializing so we never got to do anything together... ;D I'm just glad you all caught fish so I wasn't thrown in the water. :)

Trout Slayer and Chrome Mykiss never made the 7am ferry on Friday as Chrome Mykiss slept in. ;) They ended up taking the ferry with us after all. Just after we arrived around 1pm, we saw TtotheE landed that big one, and that pumped us up. The first day we spent most of the time fishing the reeds on the fly. My first fish was rather big but lost without seeing how big it was, I was rather disappointed. The rest of that day I was only into small to medium size fish. We bumped into Keith on the way in for a break around late afternoon. Hiker and I fished near the campsites around 6 or 7pm, I was watching him slaying them on bait. ;D That evening until 10pm, top water action was pretty unreal. Just in front of the camp, water was boiling with feeding bass. We tossed poppers and rapalas, and fish were coming up left and right. Nothing too big but it was still very exciting.

Hung and his family invited us over for campfire with the kids that night, it was pretty fun. :)

The next morning I was up surprisingly early, around 6am. I saw Keith out on the water already so i quickly got dressed and went out. Soon after, Chrome Mykiss and TtotheE followed. ;) Saturday morning's fishing was rather slow, so we took a break during the day. While seeing some surface action near the resort's beach, Nina and I decided to toss some rapalas. Sure enough, bass came up to grab the offering continuously. After several fish, a bit 16.5 incher grabber nina's lure. The fight was on as she was cheered on by Hung's kids. First she didn't want the camera, but then she wanted it. So I ran to the cabana to grab it. Then she wanted the net, so I ran to get the net too... ::) A quick scoop and the fish was landed.

That afternoon, Chrome Mykiss showed us how it was done by fishing deep with tube baits. He was landing more bigger fish than others. Surface action was almost none on day two.

Day three, Sunday, we decided to fish around the island. Chrome Mykiss and Trout Slayer found the fish and were at it again. They were bringing fish in almost every cast. Hung and his son joined us soon after and they were also into big fish, which was great as they had to leave soon after that.

That evening I finally had the tube bait figured out. it was awfully windy and wavy that afternoon. I was able to get into quite a few big fish. Nina went onto the bait side, and was bringing in big fish as well by fishing with small pieces of shrimp on the bottom. ;)

The rain started to come down heavily on Sunday night until early Monday morning. When I woke up around 8am, Chrome Mykiss was already out there by himself in the rain. :o We decided to fish for a bit on the floating dock as we were not too motivated to go out on the boat in the rain. Trout Slayer watched us on his pontoon as Nina and I brought in some big bass between 16 and 18 inches with bait.

After Chrome Mykiss and Trout Slayer left around noon on Monday, Nina and I had our best fishing afternoon so far. We were able to bring in 30 to 40 fish that were between 14 and 18 inches long. Some great video footages too, which I will try to post later. Just before we finished up on Monday evening, Nina decided that bass was too boring and hooked herself a big trout. ::)

Fishing on Tuesday morning was slower, but I was able to get about ten more fish, a couple up to 16 inches.

Most of the bigger fish (16 to 18 inches) were caught at 30 feet deep waters. The hits were hard and usually came as soon as the bait landed on the bottom. Once the fish was on, it usually went for the deep dives, circling around the boat. As the angle between the fishing line and water surface changed, the fish graduately swam up and then went for the big leap. Pretty exciting stuff! :D

Bassed out for sure now, but looking forward to next year. ;)

Thanks to Mark at Lakeside Garden for making us feel so comfortable once again. :)

More photos can be viewed at: http://www.fishingwithrod.com/bassin2005/

DaN ThE MaN

• Old Timer
  • Darn she got away!!
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2005, 12:11:10 AM »

Awsome pics and a great report.. I will have to join you guys next year 4 sure!

Dan

Hiker

• I'm a good llama!
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2005, 02:23:49 AM »

As so many people posted already, there is not much for me to say, except that we had a blast. It was so good fishing :) Hey bas actually taste good  :P

Would like to thank Rodney for organizing this trip, to Hung for his hospitality, Chrome for tips, and all other people for making this party possible. Keithr thanks for the tip about that big one that must be around beaver place :) Man that was a big fish and fun to fight.

The only thing I am sorry about is that we couldn't stay longer. I wish we had few days more to enjoy. Sorry guys and girls for not being able to say good bye as we had to rush not to be late for ferry.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2005, 11:25:32 AM »

YAA, bass taste good but trying to get those darned scaled off was hard work. And the bigger the harder  :P

fishin_chick

• Shut up and fish!
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2005, 12:37:29 PM »

I gotta agree with you about the fish tastin good....but I was super fortunate as Dad is the best fish fillet-er in town!  I had about 6 peices of fish over 3 days, and only had 3 bones to worry about!  My husband's uncle loves fish, so we gave him some.  His aunt hates fish, but being curious, she had a bite, ended up eating the whole peice and loved it!  Now thats good fish, when you can get a non-fish-eater to love it!

how did everyone else cook theirs up?  I lightly peppered it with white pepper and then breaded it and fried it in oil....mmmmm...I'm drooling just thinking about it again! hehe :P

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2005, 12:53:06 PM »

I made cut up the fish to 6 pieces put into water with ginger and green onion, little salt little black pepper, taste great.

Another dish is use the whole fish (descaled and gutted of course) make 3 cuts in the flesh of both sides of fish, 1/2 cup soy sauce, 1/2 cup water, 1tsp sugar, 2 tbsp black bean sauce, ginger (strips) black bean sauce on fish not mixed into soy sauce.  steam for 30 min. ( depends on fish size).

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2005, 01:21:41 PM »

Sounds like everyone had a good time   :)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2005, 03:18:03 PM »

We had three fillets last night, very good. :) I filleted the fish, dipped them in egg, then breadcrumb, then pan fry.

I forgot to mention that on Sunday evening, we fished an area where I broke a couple of fish off. On Monday evening, we were back fishing the same area and I hooked one fish that was around 12 inches long. This fish swallowed my entire tube bait. Those who have never seen the tubes, they are a couple of inches long, 0.5 inch in diameter, with a size 2/0 hook! I decided to bonk the fish as it was a good eating size and I also noticed another leader sticking out of its mouth, with a swivel at the end... my swivel! I gutted the fish, and found one of my tube bait and hook in its stomach, still perfectly rigged up. I also found another tube in the stomach, possibly chrome mykiss'! Hungry little fish....

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2005, 11:15:40 AM »

Very Happy to hear the fishing was so good.
Remember I was one who said you were going 3 weeks too late-in fact the cool nights all month meant the lake wasn't too warm at all-in fact your timing couldn't have been better.