Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Early Stuarts Are In The Fraser River Now  (Read 8401 times)

fisher88

Re: Early Stuarts Are In The Fraser River Now
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2005, 04:06:16 PM »

No one should be blaming recreational fishers for a majority of the damage.. Only 4% of all salmon caught have been from recreational fishers.
If you aint dutch you aint much!

allwaysfishin

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2005, 04:50:48 PM »

i don't think this about blaming sporties. this is simply about conservation.
putting the fish before our own personal desire. like i said before, "my belief" is conservation before the dinner plate. We are at the point where government will be making long lasting decisions on access to fraser salmon stocks.
If there is a run in danger i simply don't believe that as ethical sportsmen, we should fish "unselectively"
if you are one of the folks that think ... well i've never accidentally hooked sox when bouncing for springs, i'm gonna keep bouncing, then shame on you. conservation is obviously coming after the dinner plate for you.
I am one of the " bottom bouncing " crowd and i'm suggesting others refrain from using this method for the couple weeks it's gonna take to get those early stuart sox through our waters. What's the big deal..... feeling you won't "get your share?"
then there is the constant vocal comment about , well if the natives are netting, i'm bouncing. that is such ridiculous bullsh*t. if joe schmoe runs in front of a train are you going to as well? If the natives fish through this closure they will be charged. Authorities are not closing us down because they realize that "sporties are not the problem". We all no this but there are those who will make us look bad with this me first, fill my freezer attitude.
Bahhh , i'm done with this post.
just let the bloody early stuart sox get through, or not, we can always just go fish em to death i guess then there would be no more flossery debates  ;D
« Last Edit: July 01, 2005, 05:42:23 PM by allwaysfishin »

fisher88

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2005, 05:13:21 PM »

ur right,, but are commercial fisheries netting right now?? if they are shouldnt they be restricted in some way?!? my bad tho,, but a fact to think about anyways. -88
If you aint dutch you aint much!

allwaysfishin

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2005, 05:43:40 PM »

al in river gill net fisheries are now closed in the fraser native and non native alike. research fisheries are also closed. the ONLY folks open to fish right now are us sporties.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2005, 06:05:42 PM »

Good posts allwaysfish, I congratulate on your thoughfulness on this very touchy subject.

mooch

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2005, 08:01:54 PM »

Too bad there are always some who take the "me first attitude" instead of "what can we do for the fish" attitude. Kinda reminds me of the smoker who insists on smoking even when everyone else around him is gagging for breath.

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2005, 08:28:54 PM »

I appreciate the Department not playing hardball and allowing us to make a good decision on our own accord.

Good stuff Allwaysfishin.  ;D
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

miketheflyguy

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2005, 09:57:56 PM »

I heard from a Fisherman today that he heard from the owner of one of the tackle shops that Sockeye are to open anywhere from July 15th -27th.....don't know if its true or not....just thought I'd pop it in for some input...

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2005, 11:41:51 PM »

Not true. The early stuart run is predicted to be going through the system until late July. During this time, anglers should not expect a sockeye opening but the chinook opening will remain open. The earliest sockeye opening, which has not been determined yet, will be early August.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2005, 10:04:27 AM »

yer right on the money rod. there has been NO word from FOC/DFO about any possible openings in july for sox. the faxes come to me as soon as they make the dates. i have seen no faxes from the department yet.