Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser chinook opening  (Read 10595 times)

winter steel

Re: Fraser chinook opening
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2005, 09:22:38 PM »

I always find the flossing threads so interesting and at times laughable. Could you imagine a time when flossing (to the extent that it exists today) was not even an issue. I do and simply put it ended when they first opened the Fraser to sockeye retention. Prior to that, flossing/snagging fish was not as prevelent on rivers, it became a learned practice to anglers with its introduction and high success rate. Through past learned behaviour one will stick to what works for them and unfortunately, due to its success on the Fraser it has spilled into other systems by those who know no better (or plead ignorance) or simply don't care. Our craving for "meat" (please do not refer to flossing on the Fraser as sport) or the fact that we should have access to those fish (whatever..I don't really care) has created this flossing monster that has reared its ugly head on other systems. I know flossing existed prior to the sockeye fishery, however my personal experience has definately seen an increase in the method since the opening of that particular fishery. I long the day when fishing for sockeye wasn't allowed and my favorite river did not have springs that looked like Christmas trees because of all the coloured wool ties. Those of you that say bottom bouncing offers an alternative to bar fishing I have to ask, what did you do prior to the sockeye fishery and the " effective method" of flos...excuse me, bottom bouncing. The introduction of regulations, letters of protests, line restrictions, weight restrictions, hook restrictions, retention limits  blah, blah, blah.......will do absolutely nothing to the environment that already has been created by the sockeye fishery. If your a "sport" fishermen you protest silently by not participating in that fishery/method and vocally by informing/educating others that what they are doing on our fragile systems is unacceptable.......regardless of species. What I find amusing is that some of you (I know, not all) will get up at God only knows what hour to drive 45-min to an hour to stand shoulder to shoulder, in brown water next to somebody that may or may not be able to identify what they are catching (pink year this year), has hopefully showered at some point in the weeK, won't bite off your head or send his dog to do so, but with any luck can at least cast. Not to mention, untangling buddies fireline 150 yards up stream from you, avoiding 4 oz betties wizzing bye your head and keeping your temper in check while breaking off your 10th set up because of that stupid snag you just can't avoid. All in hopes of "catching" and I use that term loosely to describe a method that incorporates a fish, who really can't see it coming until it is too late, running into a 50lb line that is attached to a 4/0 hook, two fish and if your lucky, yes lucky (little skilled involved to floss) a spring may figure somewhere in your equation. Sounds prestine and sporting :- Ahhh......I can hear it now on the Fraser....what colour are you using.........as if it actually matters.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2005, 10:03:31 PM »

Wow Rod, you're a lot more than just another pretty face ;)

I'm sure the webmistress is thrilled knowing that her appreciation of facial beauty is widely recognized.... ;)

You're welcome by the way. For years since we started the board, and everytime the topic of regulations and enforcement emerge, I always ask if all the feedbacks, concerns, criticism are passed onto those who govern these fisheries. Most of the time they simply get lost in the cyberspace. Knowing the right people to relay these thoughts to is a good start. We'll see how this summer goes. :)

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2005, 08:56:32 AM »

Good points Winter Steel...there are some of us tho that still like a little bit of sockeye for the bar-b-que and flossing a sockeye is just about my only way of doing it.  I agree its not sporting, but thats not why I I do it!

You know, there was a thread in hear maybe six months ago, I think it was for a river in alaska where residence where given a permit to harvest sockeye on the river.  It was a "sustinance/food" permit and I recall the guys decribing tying a landing net to the bow of their boat and scooping the fish out.  Sounded crazy to me but to I think the fraser could work better on a similiar system.

My suggestion (rod, please pass it along) make a special permit/lisence for the sockeye run.  Each permit holder is allowed to harvest 20 fish that season throught bottom bouncing - all in one day if they like.  Otherwise SHUT THE FRASER DOWN TO FLOSSING.  Charge a $40-$50 fee for this permit to bump up enforcement and cover admin costs on the program.

Lets face it, flossing is not sports fishing - its a meat fishery and this cancer is invading every corner of our fishery.  I think DFO need to acknowlegde they allow us to snag sockeye and start managing that fraser fishery differently, that will allow for the curbing/elimination of flossing on other systems. 

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2005, 10:06:01 AM »

Good food for thought Gooey.

I have a pretty solid stance that flossing has no place on our rivers under any circumstance. A realistic position? I like to think it could be but facing the facts of it doesnt look like it is possible. Far too many are set on getting that fish on the BBQ at all costs.

Maybe the only way to regulate it, differentriate it from ETHICAL SPORT angling and keep it out of other fisheries is to explore the kind of options you threw out there. It doesnt look like self restraint and self regulation is going to work.

Too bad that here's yet another thing to deal with while rampant poaching takes place. I know some will say to ignore the flossing issue and they will have numbers to back that up with, but I think that the flossing issue is going to be part of the fight. The guys hauling the fish in by drift nets are going to start pointing fingers and DFO will gladly use it to cloud issues and divide the angling voice. It's too bad we are providing this ammunition to them and putting a few holes in our boat at the same time. As far as DFO, First Nations and the general public is concerned, anyone holding a fishing rod is an angler (regardless of what method they use). It's hard enough to educate why a drift net sweeping the river is bad, especially when the guys holding the net twist words and use 'white guilt' to cloud the issue. Try explaining when confronted about flossing; why it's ok to snag a fish, the relative few numbers taken, and that not all anglers partake in this. Basically "yes, guys out there are snagging fish, but it has no impacts like drift nets and poaching." Methinks it will take a long time to get past the 'snag' part of the issue.

But I still think Gooey might be on to something that might be a solution. Great food for thought.
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2005, 08:48:36 PM »

You guys gotta be kidding, no one other than 2:40 has any intelligent feedback/ideas regarding my suggestion?

:P

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2005, 07:48:07 PM »

You really want to be stoned on the banks don't you Gooey? ;)

I think the lack of responses is due to:

It's the opening weekend for many fisheries.

The weather is too nice, people are out fishing.

Most have already given their thoughts on the issue the last few years, don't feel like repeating themselves.

Some are tired of dealing with it as the issue is a lot more complicated than it seems.

By the way, I am starting to receiving feedbacks on your concerns. I've also added a few suggestions of my own, such as an educational pamphlet that could be distributed so anglers are more informed (because, some novices really think BBing is the only method to fish, as no one has taught them other ways). The initial response is "Don't get into other people's tackle box". :o That's all I'll say for now. I am still going through some readings etc before I want to comment anything further.

So much for fishing on the May opening weekend. ::)

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2005, 08:05:53 PM »

Anyone have any reports?

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2005, 09:47:47 AM »

Providing some information is not 'getting into anyone's tackle box'. This information will be of an educational and informative nature. What someone does with it is their business. I dont like to think that there are guys out there that think flossing is the only method. Some might think the fish are biting even. Some people might appreciate knowing what they are doing while others wont care.

No accurate reports that Ive heard of Kellya. Bar fished yesterday for 3 hours with nothing. There were about 10 bar rods fishing all day where I was and no bites. DFO survey at Is 22 saw nothing all day. Water wasnt that great, but good chance of getting into one. Towards June things will be good. Test fisheries are not getting much either.
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2005, 07:51:05 PM »

I wish all the anglers out there could get as fired up about the netpen fish farms and sea lice, as they do over the flossing thing. There is an election coming let's make wild fish and the enviornment an issue. If we don't we may lose it!
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2005, 09:14:54 PM »

I agree newsman but the Liberals and the NDP are not going to do anything about it. The Green Party is willing but who in their right mind would really vote green??? I mean they dont want to twin the Port Mann and want gas taxed even more than it already is.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

All Tangled Up

• Go Fish!
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2005, 07:38:21 PM »

I think flossing is a descendant of flyfishing. The worst display of flossing I have ever witnessed was from a number of Vedder River fly fishermen. I thought fly fishermen were supposed to know better, being the elite members of sportfishing.