Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Native fishing, DFO blamed for Fraser disaster  (Read 7656 times)

Terry Bodman

• Old Timer
  • A poorly tied fly is better than no fly at all!
Re: Native fishing, DFO blamed for Fraser disaster
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2005, 07:41:08 AM »

An interesting 12 recommendations some of which I even understand. It's too bad I wasn't allowed to add a 13th recommendations which would read:

" That the Minister responsible for fisheries butt out and allow DFO staff to enforce current regulations."

If this 13th recommendation was accepted, Recommendations 1-12 would not be required.
"One man of courage makes a majority"

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2005, 10:38:55 AM »

I had the chance of to talk with several native fishermen when I worked for the MOF out of the Haig Wild Fire base (near the scale bar) several seasons back.  A native unit crew of 20 was staging in our camp for deployment and 4 of them were talking about their nets.  I entered the conversation just for interest sake and learned that these "fishermen" set their nets and then check them once a day. 

That blew my mind.  When I was commercial fishing, we pulled our nets every 2 hours max because fish will fall out of it if given enough time.  It kills me to think that the native nets not attended to on a regular and at short internals, kill fish which arent harvested, this in turn  SQUEWS the numbers used in population estimates and in determining openings!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

fishherron

• DSC00434-001
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2005, 07:29:51 AM »

An interesting 12 recommendations some of which I even understand. It's too bad I wasn't allowed to add a 13th recommendations which would read:

" That the Minister responsible for fisheries butt out and allow DFO staff to enforce current regulations."

If this 13th recommendation was accepted, Recommendations 1-12 would not be required.
Ah Jeez Terry that would use common sense,now you know that that's never going to happen. All this s---t could and should have been stopped twenty fives years ago. The dfo's hands are tied and so for that matter the RCMP. It goes so high up that even the PM don't know nothing of whats going on.
Fish for all your worth but, remember what the fish are worth.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2005, 01:57:26 PM »

Last summer I had the pleasure of meeting a natvie artist in Hope.  I bought some beautiful artwork from him and during our conversation I revealed I was a fisherman.  Without me even saying a word about aborigional fisheries he went on the express is heartfelt dismay of how his people were treating the fish stocks.  I could tell he was intune spiritually and accustom to his people's traditional beliefs and practices.  By the way he descibed the meaning of his paintings and his discontent with the actions of some of his people.  One of the paintings I purchased was a picture of a Salmon and Eagle head as one (The salmon flows into the eagle head from underneath).  He explained to me that the Eagle represents the guardian spirit and the picture is meant to illustrate that the Salmon is a very important part of his people.  He said it in a way that was much more meaningful but I was sleep depervated at the time as it was Sockeye season.  He told me that his people were storing their catch in their bathtubs and selling whatever they could for booze and disposing of whatever went bad.  He went on to talk about how this directly goes against what he believes in and is destroying the name of his people.  To hear an aboriginal artist who had nothing to gain from this conversation as I had already bought his paintings tell me he is ashamed of the actions of his people and worried about fish stocks for future generations made me think of the magnitude of it all.  I thought you guys might want to know that there are some natives out there that feel the same way as us about the way the aboriginals are handling their fisheries.

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2005, 09:19:05 AM »

I'm paraphrasing but, Earnie Cray said in yesterday's Van Sun that they couldn't catch and sell that many salmon and therefore shouldn't be blamed for the loss.  I say that if you want to get the heat off your back then open your fishery to inspection WILLINGLY and show us the proof.  How can we believe what you say when your band members hold DFO officers hostage and have been creating havoc for many many years?  Get off your racists high horse and work with us for the betterment of the fish.  If that's what you really want.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2005, 01:07:30 PM »

Well siad Gilley