Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Switched from braided to mono  (Read 7123 times)

BirdNester

Re:Switched from braided to mono
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2004, 10:04:16 PM »

Well I still all the braided, so I guess if I was gonna bar fish or something like that I could respool with it.
RobertO

JP PATCHES

• Awaeyegoyemugye
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2004, 04:22:43 PM »

I like mono on small streams & FL on the big systems. Mono does not last long enough....if you lose a couple meters your spool starts to look empty & its time to respool, this gets expensive. With FL you get at least a season on one side & flip your spool & get another season....much cheaper than mono. The biggest advantage of FL on big rivers is when you do a huge cast, a long drift & then hook a fish you look at you spool & its still full of line, the thick mono would almost be at half a spool....useless!

Toprod

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2004, 07:59:37 AM »

I use 15 lb mono on clear water rivers like the Vedder, but step up to 50 lb braided for bottom bouncing and bar fishing the Fraser. I use Berley Gorilla line, it is hard to find locally any more, but can be ordered off E-Bay for $12 a spool. It's nice to go fishing on the Fraser and come home with more tackle than you went with, I am constantly pulling out weights and hooks already snagged on the bottom.