Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser Pinks 2023  (Read 67429 times)

SuperBobby

Re: Fraser Pinks 2023
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2023, 08:59:51 AM »

So Rec for pink cant open because FN have to dump sockeye, If you think they are dumping lots now wait till they dump all the pinks across the lower mainland

sounds about right for DFO these days

The only FN dumping Sockeye are the ones when the DFO happens to be there when they are bringing in their nets.
I have first hand information and when I say first hand information....I mean first hand information that the FN is selling both Sockeye and Chinook on the streets. It is happening. I don't want anyone putting their heads up their you know what pretending it isn't happening. Sockeye and Springs are being sold right now by the FN....and NOT just a few isolated here and there. People in Chilliwack are buying sockeye and springs from the FN. That is a fact.

As for Ralph.....same Ralph...different year.
It is absolutely mind boggling how giddy you get when the sporties get shut down on the Fraser...every time. For the life of me, I cannot understand you. And like Wildmanyeah says....you're explanation and reasoning as to why the sporties aren't fishing is complete unresearched gibberish. If there was ever a time I wanted to take home a Pink in the non tidal Fraser....it is in the next 7 days. The late August pinks (even though more challenging to catch than in September)....are immaculate table fare. If the run is truly 17 million, then conservation is not even a consideration as to when we fish (front end of the fishery) because the sporties won't even bonk 50k. You should know that, but you always conveniently leave this sort of reasoning out of your argument.
You claim to be a sport fishermen....you claim to love what we do.....but your words over the last 2 decades prove you are a fake. You are no different than the political puppets that are placed into DFO.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 09:04:14 AM by SuperBobby »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2023, 09:41:31 AM »

why "rush" an opening? because fishing is about expectations and hope to catch not guaranteed catching. Plus with the interior coho and steelhead closures looming in the middle of September the season will become incredibly short. why open the Vedder/Chilliwack on July 1 for Chinook fishing? Very rarely is there many or any there then. Why not wait until July 20th when the run will be in? That's what it appears you are advocating for.

exactly when would you advocate opening the fishery? Within the next hour? Tomorrow?

supperbobby aka (RobbieG) - I wonder if you can ever respond to a discussion without a) some sort of attack on FNs b) an ad hominem attack on me ( or someone else).  some years back you said Pinks taste like sh*t on your tongue... now you can't wait to eat as much as you can get.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 09:46:12 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Dryfly22

« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2023, 10:08:30 AM »

Well i personally would like to see it open.  For me it is not about putting a fish on the table.  It is more about going down to the Fraser and taking the kids, teaching them to cast, enjoying time with friends, relaxing, unwinding etc.  It is a great social time for all ages and skill levels.  Cannot believe people don't want anyone fishing the lower now.  Let them decide if they want to spend gas and time how they want.  Complete garbage.  I never chime in but wow Ralph, i thought more of you.  I'm 60 and grew up in the Port Kells area fishing as a kid rising my bike down to the river.  What a shame.  Carry on kids with your screen time.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2023, 10:15:49 AM »

sorry but I never said I don't want the river below Mission open... or perhaps you should apologize to me. You can take the kids out now - there is nothing to stop you. you just can't target salmon. What's stopping you?
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2023, 10:23:16 AM »

Well i personally would like to see it open.  For me it is not about putting a fish on the table.  It is more about going down to the Fraser and taking the kids, teaching them to cast, enjoying time with friends, relaxing, unwinding etc.  It is a great social time for all ages and skill levels.  Cannot believe people don't want anyone fishing the lower now.  Let them decide if they want to spend gas and time how they want.  Complete garbage.  I never chime in but wow Ralph, i thought more of you.  I'm 60 and grew up in the Port Kells area fishing as a kid rising my bike down to the river.  What a shame.  Carry on kids with your screen time.

I say just wait for them to open the lower for pinks in September. If I recall that has been when they have opened the lower for pinks in the past decade or so. The bulk of the run is in September, plenty of opportunity. Now if they choose not to open the lower Fraser when the test numbers have been so high then that is a real shame.
Trust me I want my kids to spend as much time outdoors and hopefully get them onto fishing, Pinks are a great intro to salmon fishing.

I would like an opening for bar fishing for coho on the lower fraser in October, I know it won't happen and thats' a real shame. I spent my youth bar fishing at the Ritchie Bro.s bar up from brownsville.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2023, 10:49:40 AM »

sorry but I never said I don't want the river below Mission open... or perhaps you should apologize to me. You can take the kids out now - there is nothing to stop you. you just can't target salmon. What's stopping you?

no you just said there's no point in opening it and defended DFO for keeping it closed.

But yes you are technically right you never said you don't want it open,

Internet wins for you!!! you get one point!! everyone else just gets a case of heartburn

glad you agree that it should be open

The End, doneso, complete, finato

« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 10:56:34 AM by wildmanyeah »

chardeemacdenis

« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2023, 11:17:57 AM »

The only FN dumping Sockeye are the ones when the DFO happens to be there when they are bringing in their nets.
I have first hand information and when I say first hand information....I mean first hand information that the FN is selling both Sockeye and Chinook on the streets. It is happening. I don't want anyone putting their heads up their you know what pretending it isn't happening. Sockeye and Springs are being sold right now by the FN....and NOT just a few isolated here and there. People in Chilliwack are buying sockeye and springs from the FN. That is a fact.

I'm not surprised. For some FN fishers salmon season is a main part of their yearly income. They have first crack at the fish, so people are just going to have to wrap their heads around that or be forever frustrated. They are not targeting sockeye but some do inevitably die in the net, so is it better to throw it back for sturgeon bait or turn it into some new shoes for back to school. I ve seen all sides of the sockeye economy, and I'd say its a net positive for the community. My sockeye guy said NO sales right now, but he did give me an ice cream bucket of spring roe yesterday.

If you've witnessed someone selling retained sockeye during a time of non retention did you phone RAPP?

I'd like to see the river open more than most. However, negligent anglers have spoiled the broth. The conditions are perfect for a rec chinook opening but few anglers left have experience with a stationary rod. In the past DFO has asked anglers to avoid flossing during chinook openings, were ignored, and now here we are. The fishery has been reduced to mitigate the stupidest anglers. Its going to be the same with pinks.
Fishing isn't catching

SuperBobby

« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2023, 11:58:23 AM »

exactly when would you advocate opening the fishery? Within the next hour? Tomorrow?

Wow....it's like you've almost started to listen to others. Yes.....tomorrow would be good....the next hour would be even better. I'm not working today.

supperbobby aka (RobbieG) - I wonder if you can ever respond to a discussion without a) some sort of attack on FNs b)

If calling out the FNs for selling fish illegally is considered some sort of attack by you....then I guess I'm guilty. ::)

an ad hominem attack on me ( or someone else). 

No personal attacks on you. Your own words prove everything I said. It seems others agree with me.

some years back you said Pinks taste like sh*t on your tongue... now you can't wait to eat as much as you can get.

True enough. But since the sockeye, spring, and coho seasons have all but disappeared on the Fraser, a person has to be less picky....but there is more to it then that, so I'll explain.....
My comments in the past on pinks being horrible table fare comes in the context that I never fished for them until the 2nd week of September because I was still bar fishing for Red Spring Jacks, early coho, and bottom bouncing for sockeye up until about after Labor day or so. I would usually just keep the female Pinks for roe (october coho season) and feed my cat with the rest over the winter. By the 2nd week of September in the non tidal....the pinks are truly garbage for eating. I stand by that. As the DFO kept cutting our seasons more and more, there was one season (can't remember how long ago), but they opened Pinks sometime in August (no opportunities for other salmon at that time for whatever reason). I had no salmon at home but I caught a chrome female pink around the 3rd week of Aug, so I cooked it up. I was very surprised how nice it was to eat. In no way would I compare it to coho, sockeye, or spring....but it was good. I would eat it again, and I have a few times since then.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 12:00:48 PM by SuperBobby »

SuperBobby

« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2023, 12:12:21 PM »

I'm not surprised. For some FN fishers salmon season is a main part of their yearly income. They have first crack at the fish, so people are just going to have to wrap their heads around that or be forever frustrated. They are not targeting sockeye but some do inevitably die in the net, so is it better to throw it back for sturgeon bait or turn it into some new shoes for back to school. I ve seen all sides of the sockeye economy, and I'd say its a net positive for the community. My sockeye guy said NO sales right now, but he did give me an ice cream bucket of spring roe yesterday.

There is no way that FNs should be making money off of this salmon resource before British Columbian families get a chance to fish for them. That is complete racism and discrimination. Hypocrisy for a country that claims we are a nation of equality.

The FN sockeye economy is NOT a positive. It breeds dissention and racism towards the FN people. There is nothing worse than observing special interest groups receive special privileges and benefits because they are of some minority. I'm not singling out FNs here either.

If you've witnessed someone selling retained sockeye during a time of non retention did you phone RAPP?

My time is way too valuable to spend an hour on the phone waiting for a call that will NEVER result in a conviction. There are NO convictions for FNs who break the fishing laws. Never have been. I'm not wasting my time.

The conditions are perfect for a rec chinook opening but few anglers left have experience with a stationary rod.

Oh...we're still here. My spin n glos are covered in dust and my bar rods haven't seen the light of day in sooooo long. I have 30 or 40 different lead weights....you name it.....I tried to sell my bar fishing gear one year for dirt cheap and had zero replies.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2023, 01:29:37 PM »

no you just said there's no point in opening it and defended DFO for keeping it closed.

But yes you are technically right you never said you don't want it open,

Internet wins for you!!! you get one point!! everyone else just gets a case of heartburn

glad you agree that it should be open

The End, doneso, complete, finato

I don't believe I defended dfo either. I don't see the point in opening it ASAP which is what redside said the SFAB wants.

My reasoning basically is this... i mean you guys understand what reasoning is?... and you brought this up earlier, with the IFS and IFC closures there is a limited window for an opening. In 2021 it was open for about 2 weeks. So if they limit it to 2 weeks, what is point of opening it in late August when the better fishing is likely in September, roughly around Sept 7 to the 21st?

So we disagree. Big deal. It;s an opinion. Why do a few of you go ballistic or tell me I should be ashamed of myself? I'm not the SFAB so my minority opinion won't be heard there.

I wait patiently to see what  you folks can achieve.

Take care and have a nice day.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2023, 01:42:10 PM »

oh and god bless you, everyone!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 01:49:03 PM by RalphH »

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2023, 03:36:29 PM »

I wait patiently to see what  you folks can achieve.

may open this Saturday, down stream of hope, 4 a day and closing sept 18th, down stream of mission bridge, and closing sept 20th down stream of hope.  Would give a 3 week opening
« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 04:33:43 PM by wildmanyeah »

Phronesis

« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2023, 04:10:56 PM »

Saw a lot of jumpers today while taking a walk @ lower fraser......good to know that they are in healthy numbers

Phronesis

« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2023, 05:17:52 PM »

may open this Saturday, down stream of hope, 4 a day and closing sept 18th, down stream of mission bridge, and closing sept 20th down stream of hope.  Would give a 3 week opening
That would be awesome!! Even if we (dad and I) get skunked, its good to have that opportunity to fish for pink salmon

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2023, 05:48:31 PM »

The Tidal Fraser River is scheduled to open this Saturday. With a record run size expected and exceptionally clear water due to low discharge, fishing should be good for everyone. This is a bitter sweet moment for me, to see that many fish expected the spawning grounds. My dad is expected to pass away within a week from now, and he has been looking forward to this year's return so much even last week he was still asking me when it will opening while in the state of delirium. He will be missing what he has been longing for so long. I'm devastated.

I hope everyone will treasure and enjoy every opportunity we get to have this fall, and share those experiences with others. ❤️