Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Highway #8 the Highway that disappeared  (Read 3023 times)

psd1179

• Old Timer
Re: Highway #8 the Highway that disappeared
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2023, 06:20:32 PM »

Has there ever been a genetic study done for the Thompson that compared steelhead to the non anadromous rainbows? I don't think we can be sure they aren't genetically isolated for some reason without one.

I have certainly read the opinions of some biologists that the two are basically one and the same. They have even noted that as steelhead numbers declined rainbows have risen. The rainbows also seem to travel some distance as food sources dictate so they have a varied life history as well.

Speyfitter 's comment can be supported by this video. After 100 years, once the dams of Elhwa removed. the anadromous fish come back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t_m1myVBBQ

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2023, 07:56:45 AM »

I am aware of what happened with the Elwha particularly with the return of the lost summer steelhead run. However it is quite a different situation there than with IFS. There have been genetic studies in the US that do show resident trout interbreed with steelhead and there is a sharing of genetics. Still the situation on the Thompson may be reversed as it's suggested the non-anadromous fish are pushing out the anadromous stocks. That suggests the anadromous traits are being selected out of the population.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2023, 05:06:26 PM »

Thompson wont go extinct but to fishermen its gonna feel like they are