Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Friend lost a rod  (Read 3564 times)

sumasriver

Re: Friend lost a rod
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2022, 02:55:50 PM »

Why is our government and the DFO offering a 10 day advanced course in how snag and drag - our endangered salmon ...... ? Ethical fishing should be a focus / goal of our government/DFO.

When i see people snagging Sockeye and dragging in snagged  wild coho... it makes me sad as a human.

Our salmon deserve proper management and we need to become stewards of this magnificent gift that we have  - BC Salmon.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 03:07:48 PM by sumasriver »

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2022, 04:10:12 PM »

Why is our government and the DFO offering a 10 day advanced course in how snag and drag - our endangered salmon ...... ? Ethical fishing should be a focus / goal of our government/DFO.

When i see people snagging Sockeye and dragging in snagged  wild coho... it makes me sad as a human.

Our salmon deserve proper management and we need to become stewards of this magnificent gift that we have  - BC Salmon.

Probably need more sockeye opening since many haven't seen what sockeye looks like ever.

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2022, 05:42:31 PM »

......bad pic but that head screams coho....
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

ratfish

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2022, 05:53:38 PM »

My thoughts also Spoonman.. The head stood out to me right away also.

canucksfan233

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2022, 06:10:10 PM »

Well all, congrats on using your experience to misidentify a photo of a fish in 480p quality, taken in low lighting 15 feet away and turned sideways. The sockeye has been taken out of the freezer for more proof, but unless interior coho have no spots on any part of the body, I'm afraid your assumption is wrong:

https://gyazo.com/20987ba98531ea7eb2e28f130b11ccb4

I was also not fishing with him, just posting to get notice as a favour. Maybe now we can focus to try and find a lost rod left on the side of a car :)

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2022, 06:53:28 PM »

Well all, congrats on using your experience to misidentify a photo of a fish in 480p quality, taken in low lighting 15 feet away and turned sideways. The sockeye has been taken out of the freezer for more proof, but unless interior coho have no spots on any part of the body, I'm afraid your assumption is wrong:

https://gyazo.com/20987ba98531ea7eb2e28f130b11ccb4

I was also not fishing with him, just posting to get notice as a favour. Maybe now we can focus to try and find a lost rod left on the side of a car :)
Try again.  In the original pic, the fish had the top of the snout missing.  The pic you just posted is not the same fish

roeman

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2022, 06:55:31 PM »

You will never get the focus back to the lost rod.  Now you will be accused of posting a pic of a different fish...LOL... Before I could post someone accused you of it being a differnet pic..   Even if the first pic was a coho there were a thousand other coho killed in nets in the last day.  But lets focus on an excited angler not  checking the fish first.  Probably not even aware there was a chance of getting a coho to bite a hook on a 12 foot leader.  (LOL)
Are you fishin or catchin

chardeemacdenis

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2022, 06:59:00 PM »

I'd like to see the actual fish come out of the freezer for a close up of the tail.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 07:09:28 PM by chardeemacdenis »
Fishing isn't catching

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2022, 07:00:37 PM »

Better paint the fins with dark sharpie before taking the photo.LoL

chardeemacdenis

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2022, 07:39:12 PM »

I was there and that was 100% a sockeye, no spots, no nothin', bad pic is all. Didn't see the rod though.

Also registered this username 20 minutes after the post went up and people started calling it out.

Fishing isn't catching

sbc hris

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2022, 08:13:44 PM »

See the 4 coho here. Note the light spotting on some, and absent spotting on one. Also note the dark fins and head shape. An absence of spots alone is not a good enough indicator of species. Mistakes happen, hopefully something can be learned from this one.

https://i.imgur.com/jdQgRTh.jpg

Lachs

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2022, 02:59:47 PM »

We need to have a mandatory course and exam before a fishing license is being issued. That needs to include proper identification, handling, release techniques and ethical conduct. Tidal and Non-Tidal. Would solve a lot of problems (granted, not all of them). I know there will be very little support for these ...so be it! It would be the right thing to do and is common practise in a lot of European countries.

sumasriver

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2022, 03:10:19 PM »

Not  promoting / allowing  a fishery based on unethical SNAGGING and dragging up the beach   wild salmon would be another idea. 

How many brand new fishers  are introduced to angling by first learning to fish by snagging and dragging sockeye...  Many of these  new beginner anglers have success and take snagging into the following  coho season here  in BC.

Agree on the Fish ID requirement for fishing license as well. Great idea.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 03:36:47 PM by sumasriver »

Cyanescens

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2022, 03:23:07 PM »

We need to have a mandatory course and exam before a fishing license is being issued. That needs to include proper identification, handling, release techniques and ethical conduct. Tidal and Non-Tidal. Would solve a lot of problems (granted, not all of them). I know there will be very little support for these ...so be it! It would be the right thing to do and is common practise in a lot of European countries.

Something like the core program for hunters. I like that idea