Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Assault by jetboat operators on a fisherman on the Vedder  (Read 20377 times)

Darko

• Old Timer
Re: Assault by jetboat operators on a fisherman on the Vedder
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2022, 05:58:47 PM »

I've been on the phone and emails with my SFAC colleagues, DFO, mayor's office, Tourism Chilliwack all afternoon regarding this as we are all appalled by the incident and know the urgency to deal with it right away. After some further discussion, it appears that there already is a speed restriction for the river and the issue appears to be enforcement and users choosing not to abide by the rules. The rule, within Ministry of Transportation legislation states that a 10km per hour speed restriction is in place on all waters within 100m from the shoreline. The City of Chilliwack has already assisted MOT by affixing a speed restriction sign to the Keith Wilson Bridge for all watercraft to see, none of us were told when this happened. Now that we know, it will be well publicized and more proper signages will go up at key locations. Expect a more formal media release next week on this particular incident and the issue.

while this is a great step in the direction.. remember we are talking about people. There are road speed limit signs everywhere yet many people go over... Signs just aren't enough for most people.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2022, 06:19:37 PM »

Was just on the news, First Nations POed

Claimed they have had altercations with this particular boater
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 06:21:39 PM by wildmanyeah »

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2022, 08:32:44 PM »

Strange there is no registration numbers on the boat. With the amount of air play the video is getting just a matter of time before the persons involved in this unfortunate incident are identified. I would assume assault charges being laid by the Chilliwack R.C.M.P.

ribolovac02

« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2022, 10:11:27 PM »

Violence will never solve a problem , so this case be the evidence …

Absolutely brutal actions by the operators or boaters , however …

We are all grown men and women , you make your bed , you sleep in it .

You c someone doing what this video shows , meaning the boaters , your smart choice would be , not to get involved .

If you get involved , you better be able to deal with it …

I say this speaking from experience , of a very similar situation .

I complained , the guy stopped , but  I stood my ground , and he had no chance .

Violence was never my option , but I did show teeth , and at the end we were on same grounds , and resolved and talked it out, came to a conclusion …

So , if you cross the line of wanting to inforce the law , you better be ready to pay the price .

Not defending either party and saying this was a right thing to do .

Just saying , common sense is very uncommon these days …

redside1

« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2022, 07:44:32 AM »

Strange there is no registration numbers on the boat. With the amount of air play the video is getting just a matter of time before the persons involved in this unfortunate incident are identified. I would assume assault charges being laid by the Chilliwack R.C.M.P.

the boat has registration numbers on it. Because of colour they are hard to see. If you go to this particular guide's website you can see the numbers on his boat in the photo gallery. Looks like a dark red on the dark green near the front of the side window at the top of the gunnel. you just can't make them out in the video posted
« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 07:48:53 AM by redside1 »

redside1

« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2022, 10:28:46 AM »

The rule, within Ministry of Transportation legislation states that a 10km per hour speed restriction is in place on all waters within 100m from the shoreline.

this ruling effectively can actually stop all jet boat traffic on almost all medium size and smaller rivers in BC. Very few rivers are wide enough to allow speeds quick enough to move upstream on plane.  Every river anywhere would have to be more than 200m wide to allow power boat usage otherwise a boat operator is always within 100m of a shoreline on one side or the other.

TNAngler

« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2022, 10:39:45 AM »

this ruling effectively can actually stop all jet boat traffic on almost all medium size and smaller rivers in BC. Very few rivers are wide enough to allow speeds quick enough to move upstream on plane.  Every river anywhere would have to be more than 200m wide to allow power boat usage otherwise a boat operator is always within 100m of a shoreline on one side or the other.

There would be a lot of spots on the Fraser where travel would be impossible.  Granted, it has been years since I have been on there but I remember a number of places where the river split into three or more paths where the only navagable waters are right next to one of the banks.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2022, 12:09:41 PM »

I just saw a post on you tube where the guide and his company are identified. Hopefully that information is correct.  If he is a member of the Fraser Valley Angling Guides Association this incident would do more damage and be incredibly embarrassing for this organization.
For instance:

The Fraser Valley Angling Guides Association is a volunteer organisation run by and for Professional Angling Guides. Our mandate is to promote a high level of professionalism among angling guides and to ensure recreational fishers rights are protected and that angling opportunities are maintained.

Definitely a black eye for them if it proves to be true.

No pun intended.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 12:11:14 PM by dennyman »

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2022, 01:03:29 PM »

Courts and police will look at the worse if the offender is a professional.

the term "made an example of" comes to mind.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 01:08:41 PM by wildmanyeah »

avid angler

« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2022, 01:03:54 PM »

He has no affiliation to the fvaga

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2022, 01:13:07 PM »

"As owner/operator I am excited to offer guests an adventure of a lifetime! I have been a fishing guide for over 21 years and love giving clients an experience they will never forget! A certified fresh and saltwater guide, I am also a member of the Fraser Valley Guides Association."

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2022, 01:20:38 PM »

He has not been a paying member of FVAGA.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2022, 01:45:28 PM »

this guy? looks very close. please correct if I am wrong

https://www.hookedonadventure.ca/about

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2022, 03:11:57 PM »

One very stupid choice and his career is essentially over. I read elsewhere from someone claiming to know the victim that victim is autistic. If true judge will come down even harder I’m sure.