Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Who Dictates the Fraser?  (Read 6501 times)

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
Re: Who Dictates the Fraser?
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2021, 09:19:39 AM »

........rec salmon fishing on the fraser is done.....accept it....habitat degradation .... climate change....and the big bar slide....lid on the coffin is nailed shut...maybe a pink opening or two in the next decade is the best case scenario......

member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2021, 12:13:28 PM »

Unless you are FN forget about fishing the Fraser.

Eric Berube

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2021, 03:54:43 PM »

Can someone help me here to understand why recreational fishing is closed in the Fraser? I went today fishing for Sturgeon and so many Natives had the river from shore to shore block with fishing nets?

What is more dangerous to protect the spicies, recreational or commercial fishing?

I'm in shock!

kosanin kosher salt

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2021, 04:56:44 PM »

How about some fairness I’d say, 1% is still only 1% and somehow we can’t even get that

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2021, 05:22:36 PM »

SCOC set out the priorities close to 40 years ago:

1st - Conservation - i.e. minimum spawning escapement or whatever can be achieved if that many fish are not available.

2nd - First Nations harvest

3rd -  Commercial

4th - Recreational angling

since then FOC/DFO agreed to FN to get some portion of a harvest beyond the food, social and ceremonial catch before the 3rd priority which is the general commercial sector.

In many cases with the Fraser recreational anglers were taking a much larger percentage of some species than some assume. Generally before the recent cost wide closures anglers harvested more chinook and coho than any other sector. It's not a minor take as some of you seem to say.

Second problem is in river anglers are last in line and many fish are harvested in the coast wide fishery. DFO puts far more emphasis on the Saltwater fishery than the in river fishery.

In river recreational fisheries for chinook have been provided in upper sections of the river where endangered stocks like Thompson steelhead, upper Fraser chinook and inter coho are not present. So it ain't true that Fraser anglers aren't getting access to fish. Just not around here where there are other options.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 08:12:07 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2021, 07:00:56 PM »

Can someone help me here to understand why recreational fishing is closed in the Fraser? I went today fishing for Sturgeon and so many Natives had the river from shore to shore block with fishing nets?

What is more dangerous to protect the spicies, recreational or commercial fishing?

I'm in shock!
What are they netting? Endangered Fraser river chinooks?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2021, 08:19:23 PM »

What are they netting? Endangered Fraser river chinooks?

I think that window was opened about a month ago. As an example the South Thompson/Shushwap chinook are doing quite well and many have justifiably argued for a recreational opening for them from about Chilliwack to Hope.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2021, 08:06:28 AM »

With with 8 inch mesh your not avoiding sockeye with the amount of sockeye that’s in the river right now. Hundreds of thousands of sockeye in river but they target the chinook that include a run timing of summer 5/2 who’s numbers are low.

Silly

Just give em a sockeye opening it’s the preferred fish and there is no risk to the stocks if they take a hundred thousand but instead they get an opening for for a few thousand chinook:

I guess the difference is for sockeye they first have to ask the Americans if it’s okay.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2021, 09:03:30 AM »

then FNs in the US will also be allowed to net Fraser sockeye

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2021, 09:39:50 AM »

They need food too

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2021, 10:08:02 AM »

I think that window was opened about a month ago. As an example the South Thompson/Shushwap chinook are doing quite well and many have justifiably argued for a recreational opening for them from about Chilliwack to Hope.
Nothing justifies netting endangered Fraser river Chinook stocks. Keep the Gill nets out of the Fraser period. End of story.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2021, 10:35:19 AM »

Nothing justifies netting endangered Fraser river Chinook stocks. Keep the Gill nets out of the Fraser period. End of story.

no food for thought there.

Certainly we'd all like to see gill nets out of the river for good and as soon as possible but change takes time. The late summer runs are not endangered so maybe we should also refrain from mixing apples and oranges.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2021, 11:24:53 AM »

no food for thought there.

Certainly we'd all like to see gill nets out of the river for good and as soon as possible but change takes time. The late summer runs are not endangered so maybe we should also refrain from mixing apples and oranges.

Summer 5-2 are in the river and are considered  to be endangered. DFO still considered summer 5-2 to be in the marine environment up to august 20th

Part of the ration to keep it close to sept 1 as well as meeting FSC requirements as well as having an 80cm max size restriction in other parts of the coast.

Prime time in van Maine right now as you have the tail end of Fraser summer 5-2, abundant summer 4-1 and the start of fail 4-1s

To bad it’s close
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 11:30:36 AM by wildmanyeah »

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2021, 10:09:21 AM »

:(   :'(

"Illegal fishing rampant on Fraser in year of scarcity"

https://biv.com/article/2021/08/illegal-fishing-rampant-fraser-year-scarcity

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2021, 01:06:24 PM »

there are FN authorized drift net fisheries taking place. For the current period you can see these here: https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/firstnations/HTMLs/CeremonialOpeningTimes_Previous.html just scroll down to the current week

with the low sockeye returns of recent years dfo has been allocating chinook to FNs

general information about this year's FN fisheries is available here: https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/fraser/abor-autoc-eng.html