Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dry flies around burnaby.  (Read 4528 times)

Colersmom

Dry flies around burnaby.
« on: November 03, 2021, 07:41:44 PM »

I went fishing at rice lake the other day (spin fishing, sorry for my sins) and couldn’t catch a single fish because they were all rising for midges, so I was wondering if there were alternate lakes near burnaby because the brush is bound for me to catch my rod onto the trees and snap. Thank you for any replies$

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Dry flies around burnaby.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2021, 06:35:34 PM »

Como or Lafarge might be possibilities.

It is possible to fish midges or other flies with float tackle. The typical red and white plastic bobbers are designed so you can separate the two section and  add water inside to provide casting weight. Fly anglers snootily call such things "strike indicators".  Tie 4 or 5 feet of light leader to one of the clips - you'd have to experiment to see if the top or the bottom is less likely to cause tangles. Use a small simple fly as in size #16. They will likely take a nymph or wet fly as well as a dry. chuck it out there and retrieve as slowly as possible. You really just want a relatively tight line to the float. It should also be possible to do this with more conventional floats using a small swivel just above the float. Tie the leader to the top of the swivel and some line to the bottom which goes through the float to which you can attach some weight.

red and white plastic bobbers:

https://fishingandhuntingheaven.com/fishing/products/floats/plastic-bobbers/bulk-red-white-bobbers

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2021, 01:36:18 PM »

25 years ago, I was fishing a spinner while an elderly gentleman was using a clear plastic float with a fly and we were both targeting trout at the lake. We had very similar strikes and hookups. These were stocked rainbow trout.

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2021, 09:32:03 AM »

Before learning how to cast a fly rod I caught many trout on the fly using the clear plastic bullet style casting floats on a spinning rod.