Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pins , bushing or bearing  (Read 12237 times)

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
Re: Pins , bushing or bearing
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2020, 06:50:08 PM »

Can't complain with 46 years of service. Wish our new electronics lasted that long. Been through 4 toasters since I bought my place in 2009.

I have owned both and prefer bushings but both will do the job just fine. I bought a 4" milner second hand for $200 about 12 years ago and still fish it till this day. Alot of battle scars. Definitely my go to setup.

To me the one largest downside to and islander which I've owned is the fact you need tools to service it in the field. Also a small screw that can be hard to find if dropped which I had to learn the hard way.

Electroman

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2020, 08:53:40 PM »

Been through 4 toasters since I bought my place in 2009.

I think I’ve been using the same toaster for 25 years now. Let me know and I’ll DM you the make and model 😆

Electroman

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2020, 08:59:55 PM »

My next reel will likely be a Milner with bushings.

With the history of handmade quality how could I go wrong? Also how many more years will John be making them?

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2020, 07:47:05 AM »

I carry the ‘pouch’ in the front of my waders (inside, near the top)...once I have the fish close enough, I hold the reel/rod and use the other hand to grab the pouch and put it on the reel, and then bring the fish in (in the water, or shore depending on whether it’s a keeper or not)...a little clumsy but it seems to work...

Well, ya, I guess if that works for you then why not. But honestly try wearing a crappy hat/toque, when you are ready to put your reel on the ground just toss the hat/toque down and lay your reel on that. Personally I can't imagine trying to get the pouch on my reel before I land a fish. I take good care of my stuff but your reel is a tool and like all tools if you use it eventually it's going to get a scratch. I will, however, say that I always try and put my pouch back on before I walk any great distance. I've taken a few good spills and if it were not for the pouch being on I likely would have destroyed my nice pin reel.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2020, 07:52:36 AM »

My next reel will likely be a Milner with bushings.

With the history of handmade quality how could I go wrong? Also how many more years will John be making them?

You do know that Milner also makes bearing reels? For me, if I'm paying that much $$$ for a Milner I'm going to go bushing. Not a lot of bushing reels made that are as tight and spin as nice as a Milner.
IMO nice spinning bearings reels are a dime a dozen. My pick of the lot probably the Islander Steelheader, but every 2nd guy on the river has one.

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2020, 09:33:07 AM »

......you can try at lubricating them but they are a sealed shielded bearing
......bearings in my raven classics are shielded but not sealed....wash out with carb cleaner and re-oil ...a decade old and still spinning........as most have said its more of a coke/pepsi...ford/Chevy deal.....
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2020, 12:16:30 PM »

To each their own. I loved the bearing reels I had when they were new, or had new bearings. I found even after cleaning and lubing noisy bearings they were still somewhat noisy. On a quiet piece of water "tick-tick-tick" was audible on a slow drift.
As has been said ad nauseam there are advantages and disadvantages to both. Most ppl I know seem to have settled on one or the other as their go to. I am bushing all the way but will say that a cheap bushing reel that has a noticeable amount of play in the spool is super annoying, as is any bushing reel with a worn out bushing.

lapa

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2020, 02:23:32 PM »

Well, ya, I guess if that works for you then why not. But honestly try wearing a crappy hat/toque, when you are ready to put your reel on the ground just toss the hat/toque down and lay your reel on that. Personally I can't imagine trying to get the pouch on my reel before I land a fish. I take good care of my stuff but your reel is a tool and like all tools if you use it eventually it's going to get a scratch. I will, however, say that I always try and put my pouch back on before I walk any great distance. I've taken a few good spills and if it were not for the pouch being on I likely would have destroyed my nice pin reel.
   I'm also using hat even if I keep pouch in waders. Way faster and more convenience.  Even not a crappy hat cost way less than a
reel.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2020, 06:27:43 AM »

I seriously have NEVER and I mean NEVER heard a bearing pin reel make a tick noise. Personally I use two pin reels. One is a bearing Islander and one is a bushing Milner. Again, all my 23 rods and reels serve a purpose. I use my pin reels for 3 months out of the year. Steelhead ONLY. I use the bearing reel for the Chehalis because I need it to spin in extremely slow moving pools and I use my Milner for bigger water like the Vedder. Now, if I'm fishing pocket water and need the accuracy, I use a baitcaster. Everyone is different but I've seen Milner/Sage people become so blind to other options they're borderline aggressive on the water. Two years ago I had a guy low hole me and told me "The vedder is meant for the CP. Take your baitcaster and go to the Stave". Theres a reason why I fish from my jet boat in the canal during Coho season and thats one of them. Some guys are so ignorant to what other rods have to offer. Bearing ? Bushing ? What matters is the application.

Electroman

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2020, 09:00:07 AM »

I seriously have NEVER and I mean NEVER heard a bearing pin reel make a tick noise. Personally I use two pin reels. One is a bearing Islander and one is a bushing Milner. Again, all my 23 rods and reels serve a purpose. I use my pin reels for 3 months out of the year. Steelhead ONLY. I use the bearing reel for the Chehalis because I need it to spin in extremely slow moving pools and I use my Milner for bigger water like the Vedder. Now, if I'm fishing pocket water and need the accuracy, I use a baitcaster. Everyone is different but I've seen Milner/Sage people become so blind to other options they're borderline aggressive on the water. Two years ago I had a guy low hole me and told me "The vedder is meant for the CP. Take your baitcaster and go to the Stave". Theres a reason why I fish from my jet boat in the canal during Coho season and thats one of them. Some guys are so ignorant to what other rods have to offer. Bearing ? Bushing ? What matters is the application.

There sure are some ignorant people out there as well as elitists.

If my pin was ticking like that I would make sure it’s not bent and/or something rubbing  as it turned. Next I would buy some bearings and change them out. I did my Islander and it took me less than 5 mins.

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2020, 09:39:18 AM »

There sure are some ignorant people out there as well as elitists.........

.......suddenly I have the urge to bounce roe with a 7 foot spinning set-up....
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

Electroman

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2020, 10:14:55 AM »

.......suddenly I have the urge to bounce roe with a 7 foot spinning set-up....

7’ leader I hope

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2020, 04:15:12 PM »

I think you misunderstood. All I meant is the typical "bearing noise" that is audible on any bearing reel vs a bushing reel is what i hear. To me it sounds like a faint tick-tick-tick on a drift in slow water. It's not a huge deal, but it is noticeable if you are used to fishing a bushing. Not really sure what your 23 rods have to do with this discussion?

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2020, 06:35:28 PM »

What matters is the roe under the bobber.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2020, 06:47:25 PM »

I think you misunderstood. All I meant is the typical "bearing noise" that is audible on any bearing reel vs a bushing reel is what i hear. To me it sounds like a faint tick-tick-tick on a drift in slow water. It's not a huge deal, but it is noticeable if you are used to fishing a bushing. Not really sure what your 23 rods have to do with this discussion?

Strange. My islander doesn't have the slightest sound. Same for my Milner. My older Milner did have a whooshing sound but I ended up replacing the bushing. Not too sure what bearing reels you've used where it makes a tick noise. Thats strange. Maybe if you cleaned your reels you won't have any problems.