Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Braid line on spinning reel  (Read 3426 times)

santefe

Re: Braid line on spinning reel
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2020, 09:06:57 AM »

Clark, he said it may tend to twist and wouldn't come off the reel as well as mono.
I took him at his word.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2020, 11:28:06 AM »

I find it to be quite the opposite actually. Braid requires less maintenance, it doesn't have any memory unlike mono. I currently have three salmon spinning reels that have had the same PowerPro line on them since 2014.

Skaha is right, make sure your spinning reel and rod are able to handle braided line first.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2020, 02:17:04 PM »

Clark, he said it may tend to twist and wouldn't come off the reel as well as mono.
I took him at his word.
His caution about line twist is valid. It can happen. I had Suffix 832 on a reel for beach casting and had a huge problem with tangles. It was a frustrating season. I wrote about it here http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=36459.msg345599#msg345599

Not a problem now with Power Pro on my Sahara 2500, but an occasional problem with Suffix on my Sedona 1500.

So, it can happen. He  wasn't out to lunch,  and in my mind the benefits of braid outweigh the now occasional challenges with twist.   

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2020, 07:51:16 PM »

I also rock braid on my spinning reels. I can chuck a spoon a mile with braid and not worry about line twist or line memory. Thinner diameter then mono of the same test so I can have a lot more line on my spool as well.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2020, 06:18:49 AM »

https://www.sportfishingmag.com/braid-vs-mono/

will also depend on the user. Kids and braid? Newbies and braid? Cost is also a factor.

While I hate seeing knotted coils of any discarded line, discarded braid makes me shudder.

Those of us with young kids know the struggle is real. My boy begs me to use my braid rod when we go fishing. It always ends up in a mess