Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kawkawa lake 2020  (Read 5540 times)

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
Re: Kawkawa lake 2020
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2020, 07:46:02 PM »

I caught a few in Kawkawa last week ( Kokanee ) while trolling. The three Kokanee we caught had zero worms. Although they did look pale. They  looked like they had been exposed to the sun and dried out. I did find them awfully grassy tasting. First year I've had that taste from Kawkawa Kokanee. Tasted like muddy Merritt trout. Yuck

Robert_G

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2020, 08:58:30 PM »

I caught a few in Kawkawa last week ( Kokanee ) while trolling. The three Kokanee we caught had zero worms. Although they did look pale. They  looked like they had been exposed to the sun and dried out. I did find them awfully grassy tasting. First year I've had that taste from Kawkawa Kokanee. Tasted like muddy Merritt trout. Yuck

That is strange. I haven't eaten a kokanee of their for a few years, but before that, I bonked them all the time. Never had a fish that didn't taste like a nice sockeye.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2020, 10:42:30 PM »

Mmmm. Tastes like muddy Merritt trout. My favourite. What u all catching those tasty Kokanee on?

obie1fish

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2020, 09:53:57 AM »

I'm wondering if there is a lack of feed that contributes to the kokanee's flesh colour.

stsfisher

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2020, 01:07:56 PM »

That was my experience of them from last year. I had a couple of limits that ended up in the smoker instead. No more Kawkawa kokanee for me anymore.

Igotsnagged

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2020, 07:04:06 PM »

Saw a post from Fred’s on Facebook, the boat launch is blocked off.