Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2019 BC ice fishing season  (Read 11209 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: 2019 BC ice fishing season
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2019, 06:44:24 PM »

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2019, 11:09:56 AM »

Don't forget the FireballTM

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2019, 10:09:02 PM »

We had two fun yet challenging days of ice fishing just before Christmas near Kamloops. On the first day we picked a lake where there was at least 6" of slush/water on top of the ice. Without waders, I ended up pretty much wet wading for 7 hours, but good thing the air temperature was pretty tolerable that day (~0C). We saw plenty of big fish up to 6lb but couldn't entice them, had to settle with the only two fish I landed, one being 14" and the other 19".

On day two we picked a lake that was a lot colder, -12C so the snow was powdery and no slush was involved. Quite a few bites, but also quite a few newly stocked brookies (6 to 10 inchers) from this past spring. A couple of good sized rainbow trout were hauled in, around 16" and 19" long.

We had a scary moment on day one. Dan (Everyday) came ice fishing with us for the first time and somehow, we walked into a big hole which someone had made previously but failed to mark (we're talking about a BIG hole, like 3'X3'). I'll show the video soon. If this had been me, or Kitty, or a little kid, the outcome would have been very different since we are a lot smaller. Dan somehow managed to catch the edge with his arms and popped himself up right away, but water still managed to gushed into his chest waders. The hole was partially frozen and covered with slush so nobody had noticed it, and we had all been walking around it and somehow missed it. If you are going to make a hole that big, mark it before you leave...

« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 10:34:01 PM by Rodney »

top fuel

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2019, 11:16:02 AM »

Where do you stay or do you drive back and forth?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2019, 01:03:30 PM »

If we are going to Kamloops, we just stay at the hotel and bounce between lakes.

For lakes around Merritt and the Kane Valley, we usually do day trips.

For Tunkwa Lake, we usually stay at the resort to maximize fishing time.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2019, 07:53:06 PM »

We had two fun yet challenging days of ice fishing just before Christmas near Kamloops. On the first day we picked a lake where there was at least 6" of slush/water on top of the ice. Without waders, I ended up pretty much wet wading for 7 hours, but good thing the air temperature was pretty tolerable that day (~0C). We saw plenty of big fish up to 6lb but couldn't entice them, had to settle with the only two fish I landed, one being 14" and the other 19".

On day two we picked a lake that was a lot colder, -12C so the snow was powdery and no slush was involved. Quite a few bites, but also quite a few newly stocked brookies (6 to 10 inchers) from this past spring. A couple of good sized rainbow trout were hauled in, around 16" and 19" long.

We had a scary moment on day one. Dan (Everyday) came ice fishing with us for the first time and somehow, we walked into a big hole which someone had made previously but failed to mark (we're talking about a BIG hole, like 3'X3'). I'll show the video soon. If this had been me, or Kitty, or a little kid, the outcome would have been very different since we are a lot smaller. Dan somehow managed to catch the edge with his arms and popped himself up right away, but water still managed to gushed into his chest waders. The hole was partially frozen and covered with slush so nobody had noticed it, and we had all been walking around it and somehow missed it. If you are going to make a hole that big, mark it before you leave...

Wow that is scary. !!! 3x3 ft hole in the ice & snow covered. Person could fall thru & in excitement go under the ice to the N W E or S direction or just get so cold & slippery sides one could just drown..
Walking on a frozen lake with snow maybe have a stick or pole and stab the snow to find solid ice so ya know it's safe to take the next step.  Do people wear floatation jackets on ice cover lakes incase they fall thru the ice?
EDIT IN : 3x3 hole camaflouged by slush or even 2-3 inches fresh snow...accident waiting to happen.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 07:57:05 PM by A-BOATER »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2019, 08:14:07 PM »

Sharing some of Everyday's photos, which are much better than mine.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2019, 08:18:26 PM »

looks cold

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2019, 10:17:26 PM »

Some brook trout swimming along the edge of a weed patch in 5ft of water from today.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6r5cUqnO86

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2019, 11:07:59 PM »

I’ve never ice fished but, from the pictures I’ve seen over the years, most rb tend to be dark(er) in colour.

What is the table quality of dark(er) rb through the ice?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2019, 09:31:49 AM »

I’ve never ice fished but, from the pictures I’ve seen over the years, most rb tend to be dark(er) in colour.

What is the table quality of dark(er) rb through the ice?

Actually that was the first kind of dark fish I've seen. That fish was a a lot brighter when it first came out fo the hole actually, you'll see it in the video. I'll let you know how it tastes soon.... ;)

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2019, 09:40:08 AM »

Some brook trout swimming along the edge of a weed patch in 5ft of water from today.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6r5cUqnO86

very cool vid!

mikeyman

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2019, 06:13:39 PM »

I read a story about that you can be charged with manslaughter etc if leaving a hole in ice like that.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2020, 04:52:45 PM »

New ice fishing video is now live, join us in the live chat if you until 5:30pm!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn3wsqLyv8E

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2020, 05:33:49 PM »

Another episode (day two of this trip) is going live:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1fFHW7BjWU