Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2019-2020 NHL Hockey season  (Read 154897 times)

TNAngler

Re: 2019-2020 NHL Hockey season
« Reply #345 on: March 18, 2020, 07:30:45 AM »

Uh huh.  Sure that is what you meant.

See a member of the Senators has tested positive so it has now entered the hockey community.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #346 on: March 19, 2020, 04:00:46 AM »

Uh huh.  Sure that is what you meant.

See a member of the Senators has tested positive so it has now entered the hockey community.
Over 400 people died in one day in Italy !
1000s have died in that country. Unreal.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #347 on: March 19, 2020, 06:41:39 AM »

Having a compromised immune system and being self employed is tough right now. Cancellatios galore. I hope this passes quickly.

In others news, I heard a certain Toronto fan.started an argument with his wife. As a long time Leaf supporter, he was missing the feeling of losing.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 06:48:05 AM by Novabonker »
http://

TNAngler

« Reply #348 on: March 19, 2020, 08:01:38 AM »

What do you do Nova?

My dad is self employed as an appliance repairman which means constantly going to other people's homes.  Very scary.  Luckily he has pretty much shut down the business this year although last I heard he was still doing some calls.  I haven't talked to him since this all started though because I have been too sick to talk.  Going to have to call him soon.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #349 on: March 19, 2020, 10:48:56 AM »

Not much you can do right now. I run a carpet cleaning company and you'd think sanitary services would be busy as a herd of beavers. Im doing a school today and follow up on a flood but after this it gets dead as a doornail. Lots of time to get my books in order and work on a few new marketing strategies.

Life will be back to normal soon.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #350 on: March 19, 2020, 11:50:21 AM »

Novabonkers also advises the Canucks in his off hours.

TNAngler

« Reply #351 on: March 20, 2020, 06:58:00 AM »

I bet people just aren't even really thinking of the benefits and are just freaking out.  Not sure if you do much advertising but I would imagine an advertising campaign about disinfecting the carpets might be effective.  I would imagine people are more worried about non-carpet things right now though.  Upholstery disinfecting might be huge right now though.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #352 on: March 20, 2020, 09:56:55 AM »

Not much you can do right now. I run a carpet cleaning company and you'd think sanitary services would be busy as a herd of beavers. Im doing a school today and follow up on a flood but after this it gets dead as a doornail. Lots of time to get my books in order and work on a few new marketing strategies.

Life will be back to normal soon.
Done a few dif. types of jobs in my life including 2 jobs as an activity/house attendant in psychiatric homes. Basically house control giving meds driving van ( class 4 lic ) , driver 48 passenger bus, carpet /building cleaner and lastly floor maintenance (sealing waxing buffing floors )
My first carpet cleaning job at an apt I had a window where one guy moving out & another moving in.
Had a portable red colored Steamex machine.
I 'm doing the job & suddenly water is all over the carpet !!!!
Some small clear coloured hose in the machine had a crack !!!
So I call the Steamex place & they are open so drive over there get it fixed ....rush back to apt ( near Granville ) & finish the job....but other guy is now moving in....
Parties not impressed...dirty looks....think I lost a few yrs off my life.
If I die at 75 or 80 or 90 or 95 it will be  5 yrs shorter than I should of lived.
Never thought of this story for many yrs but as Nova said he's in the carpet cleaning business this story came up.
Seems many go to wood or simulation looking wood floors...& get rid of carpet.
But apt buildings it's good to have carpet as it dampens the noise of footsteps for those living in apt below.
Nevertheless many put wood floors & walk with their shoes on & people below listen to noisy walking steps  :o

As for the virus goes it seems in the last two days the message is this is SERIOUS for USA & Canada.
First time there was no bread or eggs at a Shoppers Drug Mart !!!
Spain & Italy have 100s dying daily recently.
A few blocks north of Steveston Village (Richmond) 2 couples visiting practised social distancing.
One couple sitting on 2 chairs & there was a ditch & other couple sitting!!!
If talking is to be done between Canucks & Leafs have player(s) be on one side of Grand Canyon & other players on other side.  ;D
( watched a Youtube vid of Leafs vs Flyers & WOW talk about penalties / fights Tiger Williams & other Leafs vs those broad street bullies ...1970s ..no hockey so watching lots of history )

TNAngler

« Reply #353 on: March 20, 2020, 10:39:15 AM »

Our local Fox Sports channel that usually shows our games is showing games from earlier in the season every night we were supposed to play a game.  The radio station is doing much the same thing but they are playing old playoff broadcasts where we won.  So that is nice.  Got to watch our 4th game of the season last night.  The difference in styles between the coaches was very clear to see and very clear to understand why things feel better now.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #354 on: March 21, 2020, 12:04:26 PM »

Maybe Fox could string all the Leaf losses over the past 5 years ;D. The old red steamex machines. 45 psi water pressure and a single 1 stage vacuum moving 25 cfm of air to pick up the water. They worked but were slow as turtles.
The first machine I bought back a few decades back was a hot rod in comparison. The machine I use now has 500 psi and 250 cfm of air flow. The heater takes the water temp to 110 Celsius. The wanding was back breaking but now there's teflon glides to make it almost effortless. I came over to the cleaning from being an installer. Knees just didn't like that.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 12:14:21 PM by Novabonker »

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #355 on: March 21, 2020, 12:13:09 PM »

I bet people just aren't even really thinking of the benefits and are just freaking out.  Not sure if you do much advertising but I would imagine an advertising campaign about disinfecting the carpets might be effective.  I would imagine people are more worried about non-carpet things right now though.  Upholstery disinfecting might be huge right now though.

I've started calling customers with closed facilities and it seems to be working. Some of my monthly contracts are waiting. Bit of a bummer aa they pay monthly expenses and a chunk of the labour bill. I just need to be creative.
Finding anything  for disinfec9 or anti microbial is impossible. I have a small stash for my family but that's all. I had a stage 2 flood that ate at my spare. You can make your own hand sanitizer with aloe gel and 99% rubbing alcohol, but soft surfaces are a different animal.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #356 on: March 22, 2020, 10:57:26 AM »

Maybe Fox could string all the Leaf losses over the past 5 years ;D. The old red steamex machines. 45 psi water pressure and a single 1 stage vacuum moving 25 cfm of air to pick up the water. They worked but were slow as turtles.
The first machine I bought back a few decades back was a hot rod in comparison. The machine I use now has 500 psi and 250 cfm of air flow. The heater takes the water temp to 110 Celsius. The wanding was back breaking but now there's teflon glides to make it almost effortless. I came over to the cleaning from being an installer. Knees just didn't like that.
Ya quite a dif. in power.
Imagine a carpender likes his hammer he may have used for ages so I have a wooden mop that I used for 25 yrs ...it represents the many yrs of hard work & sweat & the 9 yrs used in steady floor waxing jobs. If I feel lazy to exercise I just look at it & say "Al get out there & exercise"
One look at it brings back the memories of hard work.
It's my rod kinda like the stick Moses carried around in the Ten Commandments movie.
Keep stay everyone.
People are dropping like flies world wide.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #357 on: March 22, 2020, 05:45:20 PM »

Now we use a flattop like a swiffer to apply wax. There certainly  is a lot of hard work in refinishing a floor, but when it gets that appearance of glass, few things are more rewarding. I also do tile and  grout but it's not as much fun as a filthy carpet or a beat hard surface. I am the worst geek......

arimaBOATER

« Reply #358 on: March 23, 2020, 02:23:21 AM »

Now we use a flattop like a swiffer to apply wax. There certainly  is a lot of hard work in refinishing a floor, but when it gets that appearance of glass, few things are more rewarding. I also do tile and  grout but it's not as much fun as a filthy carpet or a beat hard surface. I am the worst geek......
Your right Nova.
Many when it comes to cleaning or carpet cleaning or strip seal wax some take major short cuts....but a person has to at least aim for a 90% quality job. Most places were industrial or heavy use places plus cleaners did not do a good sweep /wet mop in their cleaning ...so no way I'm going to do any higher than 90-95 % floor waxing quality because the cleaners /janitors did bad cleaning ???the floors looked terrible after a week or so....they did not sweep or wet mop property.
Have to have pride in one 's work so did try to do an honesty job nightly.
For example if I was doing a semi truck dealership it took me 3 nights.
Service area washrms.....top floor change room lunch room hallway washrooms side room stairs.....main office hallway bunch of side offices washroom.
The floors were bad shape when due but after 3 days sparkling shine.
Basically did about a steady 60 locations...dealerships ....clothing factory...industrial big places...banks...railway...many places near airport...warehouses..fish plants...sometimes had to wax & there was wkrs or a shift at the place. ( best to wax when the building is empty of workers of course)
That was a pain in the butt. Try to take chairs tables out of a lunch room into the warehouse ...scrub seal wax & put air fans to quicken drying coats and warehouse wkrs walking on wet wax ....because these certain warehouses had very expensive stuff ( pharmacy products. ) they would not allow me or janitors to be in the place by ourselves. Fear of theft.
One place I did had 5 alarms.
Another place I did ya had to push about 12 numbers to deactivate the alarm.
One time I pushed the 12 numbers but nothing happened ???? !!!! Quickly pushed the 12 numbers again...in times past it always worked to shut off the alarm.
60 secs went by & siren goes off !!!!! The alarm code was changed but no one notified me about it.
Dam that siren must of made noise for 20-25 minutes. I got a hold of the cleaners by cell phone & they tell me the new alarm code. That alarm was so.....loud...plus two New West police came.
So after that was all sorted out....oh big wax job waiting to be done. Not a good way to waste 45 minutes before my start time.
Places I did not care to wax was downtown Vancouver. Must of did over 300-400 dif. places in 9 yrs but mainly the same 70-80 locations...some monthly bi monthly every. 3 months...customer budget or need.
But downtown was the worst...make 3-4 trips back & forth from truck with floor maching floor buckets mops sealer/wax, stripper chemical and all sorts of people wondering around...worst to bring stuff back to the truck at 4am ...once 4/5 guys surrounded me outside so I backed up against an outside wall. They looked at me & suddenly walked off. I stayed emotionless & was ready to put up a fight. Guess they wanted to rob me...I'm not that big 5ft 9inches but was very physical looking because of the hard work.
165 lbs but solid 165. These 4-5 guys were not tall & not that strong looking so I guess they went off to rob an old man .....ha!
I mainly worked solo even though could of had a helper.
Helpers sometimes very good workers as they were strong & did good job & other workers always taking short cuts...for example after scrubbing the floors & pick up either by big mop or wet vac the helper says "let's just put on the sealer now"  I say " No as we must get clean water in bucket & rinse the floor to get off residue ...then put sealer/ wax coats.
One trucking place I did /warehouse ...the warehouse wkrs left at 11:30pm so I thought the place would be empty all night.
So I start scrubbing hallway washrms lunchroom main office enterance area & three side offices...
Basically got all the floors ready for sealing/waxing & then this worker comes in at 2:30 am !!! He needs to use one side office area ( 4 desks or so in that office ) He like is a broker or whatever...setting up the trips for semi's etc...he's as mad as "hell"  I had to try to finish my sealing /waxing with this office wkr !!!! ( in the way ) Ha ! Funny now but not so that day.
Too many places had to carry floor machine & equipment up stairs...
It was quite the challenge most nights.
One place was a drop in centre ...two floors...but many rooms had carpet...but some areas down stairs & on main floor quite a good sized lunch room area. Haul out tables chairs on to carpeted hallway..
But this place had an elevator....so brought equipment to downstairs....
The crazy part that I did not like was.....3-4 times during the job the elevator door opened & closed by itself !!!
Gave me goose bumps & kinda freaked me out. Like for example it could be 3am & I'm applying a coat of wax & it's dead silence & suddenly the elevator door opens ...then closes.
I have a faith in the Good Lord so that helped !!! Ha.
Anyways haven't thought about my past job for awhile so it brings back memories.

Stay safe folks. New York State has 10% of it 's population infected  !  ( what I read on net ) wash hands wash hands & 5-6 ft social distance.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 03:13:13 AM by A-BOATER »

TNAngler

« Reply #359 on: March 23, 2020, 09:02:23 AM »

Finally got a hold of my dad last night.  He is doing well although still willing to do service calls.  Nobody has called for a couple days though so not going to complain about that.  He takes daily walks with the dogs and explores the stream where we used to raise coho.  Actually has some that returned to spawn last Fall and seeing some smolt in there now so despite us thinking it was a total loss, seems like we did help a little.

The Lynden resthome had 3 cases from what he said.  That is dangerous if it starts going around there as those are the people that can hardly handle anything.  Sort of glad my mom passed last year because she had a paralyzed diaphram and breathing was difficult and she could hardly breath, let alone cough and if she had caught this it would have been horrible.

I take nerd to a whole new level in my job.  Maybe someday I will try and explain it.