Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bent Rod jig hooks  (Read 5625 times)

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing
Re: Bent Rod jig hooks
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2019, 06:30:22 AM »

There is no difference in the hooks I am using.
I guide people using jigs all year and I am having no issues with my hooks.
We are using the same hooks as always.
It is possible that a box of hooks from the factory were made poorly or with a sub par metal or something, but I personally have not had an issue.

I can assure you if the hooks were a problem I would be the first one to switch to another hook.

I take my steelhead fishing very seriously and would take immediate action if there was a problem with my hooks.

One thing I have been telling people for years is you need to set the hook when using the sickle hooks, with the angled bend you must make sure to sink the hook into the bend of the beaked point. I have had people complain of hooks opening until they started setting the hook, then all issues were gone. This also results in many more landed fish using any hooks for that matter.

I traveled to the Bulkley and Copper Rivers this fall and we had 4 days of non stop catching of large, hard fighting Steelhead. We did not bend a single hook out and landed Steelhead to 25 pounds. We used both 1/4 oz and 1/8 oz hooks exact same as the ones you see in stores selling Bent Rods jig hooks.

So best I can say is "set the hook", you will not have an issue.

Also between me and clients we land hundreds or maybe even a thousand Chum every fall, I can seriously report no issues with bent hooks except when a client doesnt set the hook.

Observe a sickle hook and you will see how if only the tip of hook has grabbed it would create an angle of pull that would result in it opening.

Also use small needle nose pliers to pinch just the barb down. A sickle hook has a very curved beak point, if you use a large flat plier it will snap the tip as you are basically bending a curved piece of metal flat. The hardness of a hook is important to keep sharpness, so a softer hook can be more mallable but also lose its point quickly.

Hope this helps anyone having an issue.

I fish more than most anyone and I assure you, if I have hook issues I will change them for others immediately.

Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca