Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stocking a private lake with carp and trout  (Read 6317 times)

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Stocking a private lake with carp and trout
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2018, 01:07:01 PM »

Milo, there will be FFSBC people at the clean up. Chris or I can introduce you so you can run this by them if you like.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2018, 01:42:13 PM »

Milo, there will be FFSBC people at the clean up. Chris or I can introduce you so you can run this by them if you like.

That would be fantastic Dave! Please do it. I'm looking forward to it.
It really matters to me, as I'm kind of looking at it as a possible part-time retirement project a few years down the road - to help run a private pay-to-fish operation.

cammer

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2018, 02:28:05 AM »

The question is: can he capture live carp fry in another lake and dump it in his lake?    You ask this

I appreciate the responses so far. I am well aware of the regulations and the permits required.    Then you post this????

Why ask then

StillAqua

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2018, 06:47:50 AM »

He would like to stock it with carp and trout. The carp would go first to do a cleaning job in order to reduce muck in the summer.
The question is: can he capture live carp fry in another lake and dump it in his lake?
Interesting idea to engineer a pond into a different ecosystem but I'm puzzled about why your friend thinks carp will "reduce muck" in the pond. Grass carp eat mostly rooted vegetation which tends to make ponds dirtier by stirring up sediments. Common carp eat mostly invertebrates by rooting around in the sediments and stir up the muck but not as much as grass carp. Neither are effective at eating planktonic algae in the water column which may be the "muck" he wants to reduce. There are likely better fish species for that. In a shallow pond, I would also think common carp would compete for the same invertebrate foods as the trout. And I think both needed running water to naturally reproduce so you might as look to regularly stock sterile triploids which might aleviate some objections to them being an invasive. Lots to think about....

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2018, 09:29:56 AM »

The question is: can he capture live carp fry in another lake and dump it in his lake?    You ask this
I appreciate the responses so far. I am well aware of the regulations and the permits required.    Then you post this????
Why ask then

Because I already know there are no public or private carp rearing programs in BC like there are for trout.
Once the permits are secured, there are not one, but several options to secure trout fry.
But for carp, the only source of fry I am aware of would be a lake that has carp in it already.

And because I like to pick the brain of intelligent people on a subject that interests me and I don't know much about.

Are you telling me that ALL lakes in BC that hold carp got them by means of the illegal bucket brigade?

ColinB

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2018, 02:43:55 PM »

Because I already know there are no public or private carp rearing programs in BC like there are for trout.
Once the permits are secured, there are not one, but several options to secure trout fry.
But for carp, the only source of fry I am aware of would be a lake that has carp in it already.

And because I like to pick the brain of intelligent people on a subject that interests me and I don't know much about.

Are you telling me that ALL lakes in BC that hold carp got them by means of the illegal bucket brigade?
While appreciating your question the last thing I would want in a lake of mine or my friends would be carp. Here in the UK there are carp ponds springing up/have sprung up  everywhere, lots of sacked fish being moved around the country. You end up with a muddied pond where the trout will never evr rise to a dry fly. Good luck

santefe

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2018, 04:15:14 PM »

Why would a person want to stock a lake or pond with any coarse fish in BC.  Such as carp, sunfish perch or smallmouth bass.  They are not native to BC and should not be introduced into any BC waters.  I think the proper term is 'invasive' and should not be allowed...