Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thoughts on new small outboard  (Read 12297 times)

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Thoughts on new small outboard
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2018, 08:51:41 AM »

The 9.9 could open up other possibilities such as Fraser River or local ocean fishing but it wont troll down to Trout speed without a prop plate or bucket being towed.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2018, 02:37:08 PM »

The biggest motor your boat is rated for will give the most flexibility but I'm also a believer in using the right tool for the job. I totally get your reasoning though. If you literally always fished small lakes, then a larger motor is just hauling more weight, using more gas, and spending more money up front for no tangible benefit. But spending 20% of the time on big lakes a case could easily be made either way.

The perfect solution is obvious though. Get one of each  :P

Haha yeah I just might have to. Would be nice to have a 9.8 or similar for the once a year trip to Babine Lake to troll for sockeye, and the odd "bigger" lake wherever. Then a nice small/light 4 or 5hp for the smaller lakes we fish 80+% of the time. Will have to think about it. However I really only want to use/maintain/service/store one outboard so I'm probably just going to buy 1 motor that I deem the best tool for the job.

The 9.9 could open up other possibilities such as Fraser River or local ocean fishing but it wont troll down to Trout speed without a prop plate or bucket being towed.

We have a Harbercraft outboard jet for the Fraser and other rivers. Could take it in the ocean but right now we don't.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2018, 03:03:02 PM »

Another thought....what about an 8 instead of a 9.9? Looking on the Mercury or Tohatsu website they are both the "same" motor (208cc), same weight, and so on.
You might ask...why would you get an 8 when you can get a 9.9 for the same size/weight? Well...I'm a tad worried the 9.9 will troll too fast at lowest idle. I am guessing the 8 idles a bit lower + slower? No?
Pretty sure an 8 would get my boat on plane as the 5 Merc I was borrowing was JUST not able to get on plane.
Curious if anyone has any experience trolling with an 8 vs 9.9 four stroke.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2018, 05:30:46 PM »

Dad had a 8 hp Merc 2 stroke and it was a little quick for Trout.

Great lil motor though.

coyote spooner

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2018, 06:35:41 PM »

Another thought....what about an 8 instead of a 9.9? Looking on the Mercury or Tohatsu website they are both the "same" motor (208cc), same weight, and so on.
You might ask...why would you get an 8 when you can get a 9.9 for the same size/weight? Well...I'm a tad worried the 9.9 will troll too fast at lowest idle. I am guessing the 8 idles a bit lower + slower? No?
Pretty sure an 8 would get my boat on plane as the 5 Merc I was borrowing was JUST not able to get on plane.
You can always change the prop on any motor to meet your needs.  They usually come with a middle of the road diameter and pitch.  Limited selection for smaller motors though...

Flybob

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2018, 07:57:56 PM »

SS , I had a 4HP 2 stroke on my 12’ Lund Vhull and worked perfect for many years , couple decades in fact and still going strong on my 10 Jon now , put a 9.9 Johnson on my Vhull and a Minnkota that can go either depending on what water I’m on or headed for....

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2018, 07:33:34 AM »

I have a 8hp tohastu on my 20ft custom weld. Pushes it along just fine. Can troll slow enough for everything I do. I wanted it light and that's what it is at 82lbs. They also have a 9.8 that weight the same which is interesting. The 9.9 is around 93lbs.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2018, 09:31:54 AM »

Easy to slow your troll.  I don't think the 8 or 9.8 would matter when set to its slowest speed.  As far as I know they will troll the same speed at minimum but the 9.9 will have a higher RPM limit to move you quicker on the top end.

I find 4 strokes troll slower than 2 strokes.  And as Coyote mentioned, you can easily change props to slow you down.  I beleive some manufacturers will let you exchange props at no charge.  You can also drag a bucket or a drift sock -  https://www.amazon.ca/Lindy-DCVS36-X-Fish-36-Inch-Drift/dp/B00274HRPI/ref=asc_df_B00274HRPI/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=271017624416&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16357897437941892792&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9000951&hvtargid=pla-448637897227&psc=1

I have no experience with trolling plates, but that could work as well.  Or y'know, troll into the wind lol.

Spawn Sack, its your choice, but seems like consensus around is to go 'big'.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2018, 10:52:32 AM »

Good info guys thanks!

Never really thought about changing out the prop to final tweak things a bit. Makes sense. I don't really like the idea of dragging a sock or bucket. One more thing for a fish to get wrapped in and/or to have to get out of the way with a fish on. We have a couple diff size socks on our jet boat that we use in the river when anchored up for sturgeon or salmon. They are pretty much a must use as sometimes the boat will drift all over the place without one. However ya we have had fish get wrapped in them and they can be a pain at times. On my 11"6 boat, as the driver if I especially get a fish on I still have to steer the tiller, reel in the fish, wind in my downrigger if using down riggers, and if fishing by myself net the damn fish too, lol!!! No desire to have to deal with another variable that could cost me a fish.

Anyway, so ya'll got me now leaning towards an 8 or 9.8. The more I think about it the more I'm thinkin, ya, maybe it is the best overall tool for the job.

Damien is of the opinion that trolling speed between an 8 and 9.8 likely to be the same. Anyone else have any experience here? If this is true I'd likely opt for the extra 2ish hp considering the motor weighs the same.

Also, how about trolling speed between a 5hp four stroke and an 8 or 9.8 four stroke? As long as the slowest trolling speed was pretty similar I'd be happy. Sometimes we troll a fly to prospect a lake and find where the fish are I mostly like to go sloooooowwww like 1mph or so. If an 8 or 9.8 buzzed along way faster than say a 5hp I don't think I'd like the new motor much.

Bigblockfox, yeah if you look on Tohatsu's website you can see the 8 and 9.8 are the same motor (209cc) whereas the 9.9 is 333cc and EFI and 13 or so lbs heavier. Yeah kinda weird 1/10th of a hp more but a pretty different motor.

stsfisher

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2018, 11:17:16 AM »

So I'm thinking of buying a new outboard. Having trouble deciding between Yamaha, Honda, Merc, Tohatsu. Yes I know there are other brands, Suzuki and others, but I like these 4 and that's what I'm sticking with.

I only want a 4, 5, or 6 hp. An 8 or 9.9 would be nice but the twin cylinders weight a lot more and I'm just not interested in taking the additional weight on/off my boat every time I use it.

Boat is an 11"6 john boat (Journey). I have used a 5hp on it before and it pushes it just fine. I typically fish smaller interior lakes so I don't need to zip along that fast. The transom is rated for a 15hp but like I said I just don't feel like lugging that much extra weight. The boat goes on a roof rack over my canopy so everything has to come out of the boat before the boat goes on the roof. 

Kind of leaning towards a Merc 5hp. I have used/borrowed the father in law's 5hp merc 4 stroke and quite like the motor. Starts up no probs, idles nice and smooth and trolls beautifully, revs up nicely and cruises along great at WOT.

You can get the same Merc motor in a 6hp, however, I have heard (not sure if true or not) that they idle a bit higher and do not troll quite as nice (or slow) as the same engine in the 5hp version.

Tohatsu is the same motor (built in same factory in Japan) and about the same price. If all things are equal I'd rather have a cowl that says "mercury" than "tohatsu." Just personal preference. If I were to happen on a sweet deal on used Tohatsu then I might buy it, but if going brand new I'd rather have the Merc. Also the 5 Merc has a built in fuel tank in the Cowl whereas with the Tohatsu the 5hp does not, but the 6hp does. I'd probably only use the bigger separate tank, but nice to have the built in as an option.

I love Hondas but you can only get a 4hp in the single cylinder (can get a 5hp or 6hp in the USA, but not interested in going that route). I wonder if you'd notice much of a difference in WOT between a 4hp and a 5hp???

Same with Yamaha, can only get a 4hp in the single cyclinder. And I love Yamahas too but I was looking at a 4hp in Cascade the other day and now they are made in SE Asia - not Japan! I think it was made in Thailand.

Honda still made in Japan, same with Tohatsu/Merc.

Leaning towards the 5hp Merc as I've borrowed the identical motor and used it on my boat and I loved it. Don't see a big reason to "risk it" with a 4hp Honda or Yamaha. Ya I'll probably not notice the 1hp less cruising at WOT but you never know. I don't know anyone with a 4hp Honda or Yamaha to test out unfortunately.

Also buddy made a good point: wherever you go there's always a Merc dealer somewhere. Can always get a common part if you have a mechanical issue on a fishing trip. Not as many dealers for Honda and Yamaha. So, serviceability is likely the best if you own a Merc.

Interested to hear what ya'll think!

I think everyone is talking you into something you really don't want, in saying the best fit for you is a 9.9.
Stick with your gut, re read your post as it sounds like the 5-6hp is really what you are looking for. Sounds like you really like the 5hp merc and it looks like it did everything you wanted and expected it to do for the situations you put your self into most often.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2018, 10:16:39 PM »

You will not be happy with anything bigger than a 6 if trolling slow is your main duty.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2018, 10:42:53 PM »

They troll the same, get the 9.9.

I have a 4hp Merc, I change the 7 pitch to a mouse ear 5 pitch, it trolls about .9 mph, my friend complains a little about his Merc 9.9 which trolls about 1.3 mph but his being a 2 cylinder is much smoother. My 1 cylinder bounces around and vibrates.
Both of these are used as kickers.

For my little tin boat I have a 2.5hp Merc simply because of weight. I would hate moving around a 9.9.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 10:55:13 PM by canso »

Flybob

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2018, 07:04:44 AM »

You will not be happy with anything bigger than a 6 if trolling slow is your main duty.

I think everyone is talking you into something you really don't want, in saying the best fit for you is a 9.9.
Stick with your gut, re read your post as it sounds like the 5-6hp is really what you are looking for. Sounds like you really like the 5hp merc and it looks like it did everything you wanted and expected it to do for the situations you put your self into most often.

both excellent points....go with your gut
I have a 4, 6 & a 9.9
your original post I would go with a 6 HP 4 stroke

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2018, 09:27:01 AM »

If i'm trolling in a lake, 99% of the time I use an electric.  Spawn Sack said he prefers to troll with his electric as well.

If that is the case, I would stick with the idea of a 9.9hp with an alternator to charge up the battery while trolling.  If it is too windy for the electric that just means you can fire up the 9.9hp and troll into the wind to slow the boat down.

Again, the new Tohatsu 9.8hp is only 84lbs.  That is a big difference from a 9.9 Honda at 114lbs.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2018, 08:40:50 PM »

Merc 6 hp. CASE CLOSED.   8)
Weight ? Owned one Nope. Owned a small Yamaha 4hp 4 stroke.
Why a Mercury 6hp ?  Sounds like a Mercury are a favourite brand.
Or a Merc 5hp . Do they even sell a Merc. 6hp?
CASE RE-OPENED !!!!  :o