Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HOW MANY WILD STEELHEAD DID YOU KILL THIS YEAR?  (Read 11137 times)

Fatso

Re: HOW MANY WILD STEELHEAD DID YOU KILL THIS YEAR?
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2018, 11:23:54 PM »

Well if ya really think so.  8)

But honestly i just answered the thread.

I did not kill any strelhead.  Now wheres my prize?

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2018, 08:54:25 AM »

ZERO

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2018, 03:07:11 PM »

I will pass on c & r.  It's c(catch) & k(kill) & e(eat) for me or nothing.  :)

x2

C&R has no purpose except for the sadistic pleasure we get from inflicting stress (and possibly pain) on an animal.
Some countries have an outright ban on catch and release fishing.

stsfisher

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2018, 04:18:19 PM »

x2

C&R has no purpose except for the sadistic pleasure we get from inflicting stress (and possibly pain) on an animal.
Some countries have an outright ban on catch and release fishing.
Milo, I would have to question you on that considering you have an avatar of a Steelhead. Yes could have been a hatchery fish, but I know of no steelhead systems with only hatchery clipped fish, so in essence you must also catch wild fish you would need to release. Either that or you are ok with, as you put it " inflicting stress ( and possibly pain) on an animal.

I am totally confused with comments from fisherman who fish the waters of B.C. that say they are against C&R or who claim they do not C&R? To me that is almost impossible considering the many different species and origin of fish at any given time in the waters of B.C.

For one to believe they could fish and kill everything they encounter would make them a poacher at some point in time. Although I can think of a scenario that might be possible....... :-\

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2018, 10:59:02 PM »

Milo, I would have to question you on that considering you have an avatar of a Steelhead. Yes could have been a hatchery fish, but I know of no steelhead systems with only hatchery clipped fish, so in essence you must also catch wild fish you would need to release. Either that or you are ok with, as you put it " inflicting stress ( and possibly pain) on an animal.

I am totally confused with comments from fisherman who fish the waters of B.C. that say they are against C&R or who claim they do not C&R? To me that is almost impossible considering the many different species and origin of fish at any given time in the waters of B.C.

For one to believe they could fish and kill everything they encounter would make them a poacher at some point in time. Although I can think of a scenario that might be possible....... :-\
You are right. That avatar is 10 years old...when I still fished for steelhead and...gasp!...sturgeon.
I'm not against C&R...it's impossible to catch and kill only, like you correctly stated.
But in my evolution as an angler, I have chosen not to partake in C&R only fisheries. If there is no reasonable chance to catch a fish that I can legally harvest in a given body of water, I will not fish it. That is where I draw a line.

Fatso

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2018, 09:34:12 PM »

But in my evolution as an angler, I have chosen not to partake in C&R only fisheries. If there is no reasonable chance to catch a fish that I can legally harvest in a given body of water, I will not fish it. That is where I draw a line.
..... my sentiments exactly!  :D

nosey

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2018, 07:42:25 AM »

I don't believe I've saw half a dozen wild steelhead dead in the Vedder in the last 50 years, i have saw lots of fish lifted out of the water for photo oppurtunities over the years and released quickly un harmed, my opinion on that is no big deal whatsoever. I have saw people overplay fish and put them into shock, that is probably the biggest no no I can think of. The only wild steelhead I've killed.in 50 years is one that was hooked in the tongue and was bled out before it was landed I saw it flopping around going down river after it was released.there was no way i could of prevented that..I have saw fish with fungus marks on them.that looked.suspiciously like glove marks so i never ever wear a glove when handling a fish. Seriously look at the amount.of handling.the fisheries do in capturing brood stalk with very very little mortality and give your head a rattle. If you ever plan on shaming me for lifting a fish out of the river to take a picture be it known right now you will get an earfull of go f**k yourself.

Fatso

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2019, 10:25:58 AM »

Ok.  If you say so! Lol 🤣