Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Roe storage  (Read 9283 times)

Kever

Re: Roe storage
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2017, 08:30:12 AM »

You may have identified the main issue. I did freeze some roe before vac packing, that must have been the stuff that turned out well.

Other issues might have been too much cure (burning) or letting it thaw on the counter for too long.

Still think I'm going to try the jar method, although chances of harvesting more berries this year look slim.

Can you elaborate on what you observed? Vacuum packing should be an excellent way to store roe, so maybe troubleshooting your freezing process might pay off. I have no qualms about using roe I’ve vacuum packed away and frozen in previous years so it makes me think there is room for improvement in your process…

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2017, 09:37:34 AM »

Also break the vacuum seal when you take it out to thaw.

I leave sulphite cured roe in the garage thawed for a few days at a time when I’m on my set off. Just don’t leave lots of borax with it or it will suck the life out of it

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2017, 06:04:50 PM »

Also break the vacuum seal when you take it out to thaw.

I leave sulphite cured roe in the garage thawed for a few days at a time when I’m on my set off. Just don’t leave lots of borax with it or it will suck the life out of it

I've noticed that too. Good point. Borax is great stuff but it may dry your roe out more than you'd like. After mine thaws from the freezer I'll dump most of the borax out into a container. I'm cheap so I'll save it. After I'm done fishing that roe if there is some left over I use that borax to dump back in the container to make sure it's covered/protected in the freezer.

Another tip I've heard: keep your bait and roe especially in the deep freeze, not fridge freezer. I've heard that the auto defrost on the fridge freezer is not the best for bait longevity. They say the deep freeze, as long as it does not have auto defrost, is better as it stays at a consistent temp. Not warming up and cooling down repeatedly like the auto defrost kind. I've never tested this theory, I just keep it in the deep freeze.