Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Been in Squamish R. lately?  (Read 18305 times)

Knnn

• Old Timer
Re: Been in Squamish R. lately?
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2017, 09:37:43 PM »

Yes; the older the fish the more likely the eggs are close to being released and are therefore no longer attached to the skein.  In the past I have seen white bellies on does that look as though they should be good for a skein, however when you handle the fish they are soft fleshed and rough skinned and the eggs are completely loose.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2017, 08:47:15 AM »

So in summary a Poor year for: Coho, Chums, Pinks, Springs and Sockeye.  I think we can thank that west coast blob or those droughts we've been experiencing the last few years.  Vedder Coho appears to be still available to those who put some time in and in the right conditions.

Ambassador

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2017, 07:52:11 PM »

So in summary a Poor year for: Coho, Chums, Pinks, Springs and Sockeye.  I think we can thank that west coast blob or those droughts we've been experiencing the last few years.  Vedder Coho appears to be still available to those who put some time in and in the right conditions.
Im an optimist - my bet is that they got tired of doing laps at the mouths waiting for rain and cooler temps - and decided to head back to open ocean for another year. Wait till you see the size of next years Coho...  ;)
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2017, 10:32:06 AM »

Any sign of late fish?

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2017, 11:57:06 AM »

No.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2017, 08:49:49 AM »

No.

Did enough spawners of pinks, chums, and cohos make it through this year for future generations?

bobby b

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2017, 09:02:14 AM »

Was recently in some of the Squamish river tribs and saw huge amounts of Chums spawning

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2017, 11:10:18 AM »

The 1st half of November were once a hot time for chums in a number of rivers. When the chum populations crashed several years ago that segment of the run seemed to vanish. Once the Harrison was almost bank to bank with chums around Remembrance Day. Now the river seems all but empty.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2017, 11:25:28 AM »

The 1st half of November were once a hot time for chums in a number of rivers. When the chum populations crashed several years ago that segment of the run seemed to vanish. Once the Harrison was almost bank to bank with chums around Remembrance Day. Now the river seems all but empty.
I did notice the Stave has fewer fish this year compared to last year.  It started tailing off in late October... last year it didn't do that until after the 1st week of November.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2017, 11:46:50 AM »

When I was in Berrys Bait they were promoting squamish saying lots of people doing really well, There was also two guys in there that were heading up their. I was also fishing Mike lake on saturday and two of the fishermen there were heading up to fish Squamish this week and there buddies had been doing good there.

Seems most on the forums tho has said its bad up their.

mkempe

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2017, 12:12:42 PM »

Any change on this topic? Fresh chum rollin in yet?  ;)

bkk

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2017, 02:29:44 PM »

Was recently in some of the Squamish river tribs and saw huge amounts of Chums spawning
I doubt that as the Squamish is just awful for chum. You would have been on the Cheakamus but it is far from being full of chum. Have spent the last 5 weeks on the river almost daily and I can tell you in the 32 years I have lived in Squamish this is one of the worst returns seen. The Ashlu has a few hundred chum at best, the upper Squamish has localized groups in several of the tributary streams and side channels but the main river is virtually barren of spawners. The Mamquam has at best a couple of thousand fish and the groundwater spawning channels have generally less that a couple hundred each and in several of the channels significantly less that that.
 The lower Squamish has fish but not lots of them but enough to catch if you put in your time. You do get fish staging of the mouth of the Cheakamus but this is to be expected. The Cheakamus has the most fish but still not huge amounts of chum. The chum channels have few fish in them except for the Upper Paradise channel which has 1000 fish or so. Big deal. At this time of year spawning should be in full swing with the spawning areas ram jamb full. Not happening. This rain this weekend will be the telling tail. If they don't come now then their not coming.

People who have not experienced what the Squamish chum run was like have no concept of how many fish were here. That was what brought the eagles here and what generated a world record eagle count. Those days are over. The Squamish system should have 300 000+ chum and look like the Stave River. There are may people who can remember trying to fish the Frog Pond on the Cheakamus or Judd Road on the Squamish with lures and just had to give up because of all the foul hooked chum you would encounter. Friends of mine live on Judd Slough and we can all remember the whole neighbourhood smelling like rotten chum salmon for weeks on end. That is also a thing of the past. The chum used to arrive by the first week of October and continue well into mid December with the peak around mid November. The late fish are now for the most part all gone as well. When was the last time anyone has seen January chum?

So what happened? About the time sockeye took their first big crash commercial fishing effort was shifted over to the Johnstone Straight chum fishery which allowed them to plunder as per normal. It's is exactly the same timing as the Squamish chum collapse. The Fraser chum have been able to whether this  effort due to a large run size as well as chum enhancement. The Squamish has not and know one in power seems to care.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2017, 02:51:34 PM »

Good post bkk. I totally agree about the disregard for chum salmon by the decision makers.

I have always said chums are the lifeblood of coastal watersheds and am thankful the Chilliwack-Vedder has considerable off channel habitat for these vital fish.

bkk

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2017, 03:30:28 PM »

I agree Dave.
 We also have lot's of those off channel groundwater channels that the chum love. Thank goodness for the foresight of biologists such as Dave Marshall and Matt Foy for having the vision for designing, constructing and adapting this form of fish enhancement. The Squamish was where a lot of these designs originated. We need more field biologists of that yolk and less of the ones who like to sit at the computer and never get out into the streams and bush.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2017, 11:49:49 PM »

Great posts bkk, thank you.
It ain't the roe bro'