Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Needless slaughter on the stave.  (Read 21867 times)

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
Re: Needless slaughter on the stave.
« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2017, 06:31:01 PM »

lol.....so......no halibut sized unpinched treble hooks tied to 80lb braided line???????..

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2017, 06:49:29 PM »

Went to the Stave this afternoon because I figured it'd be quiet... I struck out completely but here are some things I observed today...

Number of used diapers dumped in the forest: ~30

Why are you walking around in the forest looking for loaded diapers?

Did you actually verify these were used diapers?

WTF is wrong with people - used diapers in a forest? Maybe these are adult diapers from a small adult woods nymph that has a little sphincter leakage problem and doesn't understand the need to properly dispose of poopy diapers.  :o

« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 08:43:49 PM by Rieber »

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
the stave.
« Reply #77 on: October 09, 2017, 07:39:15 PM »

I saw the garbage with the diapers, it was a nice change from the grow op remnants and propane tanks in that area lately. I guess it was too expensive to take that stuff to the transfer station. Plus the green waste illegally dumped all along there, disgusting really. Here is the long rod from Sat~

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #78 on: October 09, 2017, 07:48:20 PM »

Long rod indeed. Was he bottom fishing?

I went out today for kicks. They're not terribly bitey compared to what I got used to later in the season last year.

Lots of spooners back hooking fish.

Jigs still working real good to get them hooked nice in the mouth.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #79 on: October 09, 2017, 08:53:08 PM »

What is that type of fishing setup called? Does anyone have a Wikipedia link they can post? Looks like it takes an engineering degree to set up.

bobby b

« Reply #80 on: October 09, 2017, 09:02:59 PM »

How on earth would one land a big chum on that ?!?  Is there a reel?

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #81 on: October 09, 2017, 11:57:01 PM »

What is that type of fishing setup called? Does anyone have a Wikipedia link they can post? Looks like it takes an engineering degree to set up.

Looks like a European competitive telescopic carp rod. They can be up to 70 feet long and very light - made of special materials, usually in Italy and Japan. Top of the line rods can set you back 5 grand.
The concept is to drop the bait in a spot you are sure holds fish, rather than cover water. Not sure how they'd handle a chum, but they can sure handle good size carp. Most common length is between 30 and 50 feet. And yes, the idea is to forgo the reel and yet be able to reach distant spots. Not so complicated to set up as it looks.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #82 on: October 10, 2017, 07:15:03 AM »

How on earth would one land a big chum on that ?!?  Is there a reel?

fishing reels weren't invented until the 19th century but people fished without them and caught large fish like we do today. Atlantic Salmon were caught using long wooden poles 20 to 30 feet long with lines about 2 times the length of the rod tethered to the tip.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

avid angler

« Reply #83 on: October 10, 2017, 08:59:10 AM »

Boy in the dog eat dog world of angling personalities I am glad that I have chosen to fly under the radar and remain a nobody (thanks Rod  ;D).

Not so Brian Niska who among other things spent years organizing a campaign to convince MOE to ban bait on the Thompson but I am sure the ill will above has nothing to do with that.
He did that because the Spey community thinks that it will translate into more fish caught for themselves. So they can get their hero shots of endangered steelhead for the gram🙄 That bait ban sure did save that stock of fish. What's it down to now 250 returning?

bobby b

« Reply #84 on: October 10, 2017, 02:58:54 PM »

fishing reels weren't invented until the 19th century but people fished without them and caught large fish like we do today. Atlantic Salmon were caught using long wooden poles 20 to 30 feet long with lines about 2 times the length of the rod tethered to the tip.

According to Wiki..

"The fishing reel was invented in Song dynasty China, where the earliest known illustration of a fishing reel is from Chinese paintings and records beginning about 1195 AD. Fishing reels first appeared in England around 1650 AD, and by the 1760s, London tackle shops were advertising multiplying or gear-retrieved reels. The first popular American fishing reel appeared in the U.S. around 1820."

bobby b

« Reply #85 on: October 10, 2017, 03:02:31 PM »

I still dont get how the fish is landed... is it used like a crane to pivot the fish to shore? Although I imagine that would prob require 2 people..?!?

I'll have to go out ther and see if I'm lucky enough to check out his setup. Pretty cool to see
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 03:04:14 PM by bobby b »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #86 on: October 10, 2017, 03:47:59 PM »

According to Wiki..

"The fishing reel was invented in Song dynasty China, where the earliest known illustration of a fishing reel is from Chinese paintings and records beginning about 1195 AD. Fishing reels first appeared in England around 1650 AD, and by the 1760s, London tackle shops were advertising multiplying or gear-retrieved reels. The first popular American fishing reel appeared in the U.S. around 1820."
ya ok but those reels were more in the manner of a winch like this:

prior to the modern fishing reel most anglers fished with just a pole, line and hook, like this:

and Atlantic salmon as large and larger than chum salmon were commonly caught on large poles without reels.

There is some information here: http://www.lax-a.net/fishing-in-scotland/river-dee/

The Dee has a deserved reputation as one of the world’s great salmon rivers. Since the 17th century, anglers have been sport fishing on the river for its famous run of salmon.

Victorian salmon anglers enjoyed some of the finest fishing in the Dee’s angling history and their innovative approach to fishing tackle design is still reflected in tackle today.With the advent of Victorian fly fishing tackle, the evolution of modern rods and reels had begun. No longer were salmon played on a ‘tight line’ or line tied to the rod tip, but rather a ‘loose line’ which ran through the rod rings. This allowed greater opportunity to land big Dee salmon, which the ‘tight line’ method was simply no match for.

I still dont get how the fish is landed... is it used like a crane to pivot the fish to shore? Although I imagine that would prob require 2 people..?!?

I'll have to go out ther and see if I'm lucky enough to check out his setup. Pretty cool to see

long competition 'poles' are usually an extenton piece with a smaller pole perhaps 1/3 the total length inserted at the top. When a fish is hooked the pole is pulled back hand over hand horizontally, the top insert removed and the fish landed.

FWIW it's common to steel people from the far east fishing poles without reels that are 12 to 15 feet long. This summer I saw one guy with a telescoping pole that must have been 18 feet fully  extended at Fury Creek.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 04:14:17 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #87 on: October 10, 2017, 05:26:19 PM »

canoe man

• Old Timer
  • and awaaaaaaaay we go!
    • brandywine marine
« Reply #88 on: October 10, 2017, 09:51:02 PM »

WOW DID THIS THREAD EVER GO SIDE WAYS LOL

so originaly we were talking about reporting roe poachers
what the limits are what you must retain in regards to carcasess

so i will digress and tell you about the awsome canoe trip we took on sunday afternoon
on the stave it was my granddaughters first canoe ride
7 years old went around inch creek hatch area on the stave
very low water toilet bowl very low
but she held her own i was quite impressed 
new one in the making thanks canoeboy

oh then there was the 200 crayfish boil up
man thats alot of crayfish and beer for four guys lol
some of them were over 6 inches long
that takes alot of garlic butter

then it was the wifes birthday
then it was thanksgiving

thank god i went back to work today lol

cnm
president of the HANEY HOOKERS SOCIETY

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #89 on: October 11, 2017, 06:21:50 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9fbU87gMrc

Chum fishing in Japan

Wow he was out of breath.... must be lots of work fighting salmon.