Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Region 2 bass  (Read 20035 times)

Rieber

• Old Timer
Re: Region 2 bass
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2017, 12:59:35 PM »

I'm all eyes on ears on how/when/where largemouth are caught in an area with substantial current.  Not hiding in the sloughs, big slow bends, oxbows, behind rock piles or log piles etc.

I'm not saying they aren't found in rivers, just that they will seak out and be in parts of the river where there is as little current as possible.

I've only bassfished for 25 years though.  Still lots to learn.

The only time I've targetted Bass was in Duck Lake by Creston, there is a small lake on the road between Salmo and Champion Lake (been 30yrs so I forgot the name) and around the Osoyoos area and occationally Mill Lk. I haven't targetted them in the Fraser and likely never will but I would expect to have seen or heard of them being hooked once in a while. Maybe with them in the Sumas they will be caught near the mouth as it's somewhat slow moving and lots of wood there. I would expect they would be in the Nicomen Slough then especially up top in the warmer weedy stuff.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2017, 01:05:50 PM »

Really? Why wouldn't Bass take a fly or a spoon - because that's the only way I've fished the Fraser for the past few years.

Sorry - I was wrong to say that. I did try rattling a big plug out of an anchored boat once. Didn't have patience to try that long enough to verify if that would work. Also tried bar fishing a few times with big SpinGlo's - it doesn't excite me too much but I'll give it another shot of there is a good year for Spring run.

What was your comment focused on? And how would you know how I fish in the Fraser - we've never met let alone fished together?

I guess you fish in Fraser river to target trout or salmon. But the best bet for bass is rubber grubs and other rubber baits. Catching rate spoon vs rubber is 1:50, especially for larger ones

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2017, 04:36:15 PM »

I'd like to see pics. Not because I disagree with you, just interested in seeing the pictures. Are you talking about back east?
Back east is correct. I only catch bass out here by accident while fishing cutthroat trout. They are all over the Lower Pitt River now and have been for 20 years! The seagulls like them! Would be nice if the seals ate them! Stave is plugged with them as well. From the dam down. Their in the Fraser as well. Just ask the gill netter fisherman. DFO will not post the results! No no no!

I remember people saying that bass do not eat salmon fry years ago but that was proven incorrect!

Well enjoy the bass fishing everyone! They are here to stay now and the biomass will only get larger in time!
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2017, 07:22:14 PM »

Waiting for the pictures gg. Again, not saying you're wrong but need more information.
 Also, I would sure like some confirmation of Fraser River gillnetters catching bass ... DFO won't post bass captures?  Sorry but I have to say Bull$hit.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2017, 10:12:19 PM »

I will plug this board up with pics that they have no problem problem living in fast current rivers!

zzzzzzzz

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2017, 12:19:31 AM »

You guys are right! End of discussion on my end! I just know what I know! 8)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 12:22:48 AM by greyghost »
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2017, 12:39:40 AM »

You guys are right! End of discussion on my end! I just know what I know! 8)

The largest bass I caught in LML is close to one and half pound(13-14 inches long). How big can they grow in lower pitt river? I am afraid there is not much food for them. Salmon fry come down in the spring when bass is still in hibernation.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2017, 07:09:52 AM »

There are numerous irrigation and drainage ditches that flow into the Pitt. Those will warm up quickly in spring and I've checked them out where they join the Pitt. While I didn't see anything it does look like good bass habitat.

Jeff Welch,  posts 'Professional' reports under the name Newsman, on various boards and some local papers reports he caught a 7lb fish out of Hatzig and has photos as evidence. Also good sized fish (3lbs+) reported out of Deer Lake in Burnaby.

Still I'd think most bass in the Fraser would be too small to get caught in the typical gill net used in the Fraser. Just my guess. If some do get caught in the Albion and PSF test fisheries I doubt anyone makes an attempt to count them.

FOC/DFO also doesn't have to follow the Province in setting limits in the river below Mission. I don't think there ever was a limit in tidal waters nor were black bass ever listed as a sport fish.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 07:28:08 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2017, 08:16:27 AM »

Lots of big bass in the sloughs, ditches, ponds and marshes for sure.

Just waiting to see the 'board plugged up' with pics of bass taken directly out of water with strong current.  It would be news to me.

banx

« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2017, 10:51:11 AM »

I was sight fishing them in the cable pool on the capilano yesterday.  picked up two on a squamish poacher.  great fight on the 9wt.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2017, 11:50:05 AM »

I was sight fishing them in the cable pool on the capilano yesterday.  picked up two on a squamish poacher.  great fight on the 9wt.

OH GREAT! >:( First it's Nick giving away all the cutthroat secrets and now the spey steelhead bass fishery in the Cap is outed.

Soon there will be no secrets left!  :'(
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2017, 03:48:07 PM »

New regs are out:  http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/

While the bass limit is indeed now 20 but specifically for largemouth where as previous regs said large & smallies combined (IIRC), but there are no known populations of smallmouth in region 2 that I know of.

Also there is an exception to the new limit:

MILL LAKE (Abbotsford) Bass daily quota = 4

So I guess Mill is now a managed trophy bass fishery!

Also total fishing closures on MacLean Pond, Marsh Pond, and Minnekhada Marsh which I believe also has bass now.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2017, 04:49:05 PM »

Minnekhada was closed a year or 2 ago over issues with people fishing from the walking trails and disturbing non-anglers. Went and had a look there - plus a hike -  a few years ago when I read reports of bass being caught - there wasn't much in the way of fishing prospects. Mill best I know is landlocked.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 04:53:58 PM by RalphH »

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2017, 07:03:30 PM »

While the bass limit is indeed now 20 but specifically for largemouth where as previous regs said large & smallies combined (IIRC), but there are no known populations of smallmouth in region 2 that I know of.

Also total fishing closures on MacLean Pond, Marsh Pond, and Minnekhada Marsh which I believe also has bass now.

So they really do not want to get rid of bass

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2017, 07:53:43 PM »

Actually it isn't, managed the same as it has been the last few years (same quota)

If they didn't keep the bass quota low somewhere, bucket brigade would transport them all over the place before a region wide quota could actually have a population impact, and a larger problem would result.