Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Has the idea of a mandatory "ethical angling" course ever been proposed?  (Read 7788 times)

Rieber

• Old Timer

--would rather see a voluntary course...maybe an incentive like a reduction in first year license fee if the course is taken
--should be available at events and on line with qualified instructors... maybe Freshwater fisheries paid staff.
--join a club that publicly displays and demonstrates ethical angling
--have different types of identification... like a hat or patch or sticker for boat or vehicle with ethical angler logo for those who take the course. the reason being that others will know that anyone displaying the identification will likely RAPP or at least be some one that could be asked about best practices when fishing.
--expand the angler ambassador program... again with identification so others know it is OK to ask and get credible information

--My view is compliance and demonstrating best practices is more effective than enforcement.

I like this concept. Very good.

96XJ

I think a combination of a couple of ideas would be best , Knnn's idea of a multiple choice questionnaire followed by Ralph's idea of an acknowledgement of ethics

Any mandatory in house course would be a logistical nightmare , as well as financial nightmare , and any voluntary course would be preaching to the converted anyways

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer

There is a new App by Sport Fishing Institute called FishingBC for Iphone. Just downloaded it and its a huge step in the right direction.

turbine

There is a new App by Sport Fishing Institute called FishingBC for Iphone. Just downloaded it and its a huge step in the right direction.

I like this app, a freshwater version would be great. Link to the app.  https://fishingbcapp.ca

Walleye76

Still there only fish in the end how much feelings do they have?

Im hoping I am just missing something with this portion of your comment...  ???

Drewhill

In the end a lot of people would take the course and still go out to the river and snag, drag fish on the rocks and fish unethically. I've found the people that don't know what they're doing is wrong respond well when you give them tips but the majority of people know what they're doing is wrong so why would a course won't change anything? Enforcement is the only way to get to them.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer

In the end a lot of people would take the course and still go out to the river and snag, drag fish on the rocks and fish unethically. I've found the people that don't know what they're doing is wrong respond well when you give them tips but the majority of people know what they're doing is wrong so why would a course won't change anything? Enforcement is the only way to get to them.

What do u guys think of DFO installing cameras in high use runs on the vedder. They make comercial guys install deck cams, seems only fair.

Walleye76

How to they power, store or send video, identify the anglers with rain gear and polarized glasses on?? Sure the lower and even some mid river areas, the power wouldn't be a huge issue, but the cost of equipment and transmission of video signal that would be high enough quality to be of any use would be simply not be cost effective.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer

Big brother is most everywhere already.
They don't have the manpower to be a steady presence on any of the systems let alone having someone monitor video screens and dispatch the the thread bare staff.

But I'm sure there are a number of areas that are under video surveillance.
They just ain't looking for the guy who forgot to pinch a Barb or kept a tail hooked fish.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

What do u guys think of DFO installing cameras in high use runs on the vedder. They make comercial guys install deck cams, seems only fair.

Cameras increasingly are everywhere. Was visiting my sister on the Island and we walked a new trail put in last fall and there was a camera. I know cameras are installed on many popular trails, both in Parks and just on Crown Land - so be careful what you do in the bush.

So why not? It might help id who are the really bad offenders and make arrests easier.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Walleye76

This is what I do, I work CBA, Correction BC and Corrections Canada for over 23 years,  trust me the money that would be required to have the mesh network alone put into place in the remote areas let alone the camera technology that would be required in this application would never be considered. They could hire a CO for every 2kms of river on a 24hr basis and still save money

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer

How to they power, store or send video, identify the anglers with rain gear and polarized glasses on?? Sure the lower and even some mid river areas, the power wouldn't be a huge issue, but the cost of equipment and transmission of video signal that would be high enough quality to be of any use would be simply not be cost effective.
Heck, my HD dash cam failed to pick up the license plate of a car that hit and run me (hit and ran?) even though they drove right by. Outdoor cameras, high up on a pole in the rain? Not going to give you the resolution or framerate you need, even if you saved the data inside the camera and skipped broadcasting the video feed :/

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

This is what I do, I work CBA, Correction BC and Corrections Canada for over 23 years,  trust me the money that would be required to have the mesh network alone put into place in the remote areas let alone the camera technology that would be required in this application would never be considered. They could hire a CO for every 2kms of river on a 24hr basis and still save money

Interesting. I worked in the same sector. Those cameras provide real time viewing with full motion from remote locations while the typical trail camera does not. I think trail cameras are activated by motion. Street security cameras, highway cams etc provide image capture at less than HD movie quality but have proven important in apprehending offenders or sorting out incidents where neutral observers (sometimes with cellphones) aren't available.

Still you are quite right & make a good point. A cost benefit analysis would have to be done and possible alternatives considered. It may not show cameras would be the best choice. I think the first choice is better enforcement. However it's worth considering and  worth acknowledging more should be done.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer

The cameras would be more for getting data on how many people are fishing, what kind of behaviors are happening ect.. Once you have that then you have something you can take to your boss to at least try to justify getting more enforcement but to be honest i could see them shutting down sections before allocated more resources to it. There is already 1 full time officer assigned to the vedder during the summer months I doubt it will get more without some sort of incidents that can be shown on the 6o'clock news. 

I am sure some of this has already been attempted in the past

There are a multitude of ways to get funding, even adding a licence surcharge for the vedder system. IMO there should be already some special charge for the vedder.

Walleye76

Small world...you mean you worked directly for those agencies or doing the Camera/security applications within that sector? I work in the design, installation/service and commissioning of the systems themselves. And yes the cameras/technology used by say CBA for example are real time full PTZ HD (some UHD now) many equipped with thermal imaging campabilities (which wouldn't be required in this application) but they are able to preform those actions because of the infrastructure (mesh network or otherwise) that is in place. Don't get me wrong there are sections of the river where the possibility of utilizing existing (ie: city of Chilliwack) infrastructure might be feasible but then the man power required to either monitor a live feed or review footage after the fact would still be a huge ongoing cost that imo would be better spent hiring more COs then someone sitting in a office reviewing video.