Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rod, reel, line dilema  (Read 13812 times)

Knnn

• Old Timer
Re: Rod, reel, line dilema
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2016, 11:18:33 AM »

I can fish closer to other ppl as I wont need as much room for my cast, and so on.

Or you can fish with a long belly line and keep plenty of space around you ..... :)

Good info in the this tread for another novice spey chucker.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2016, 04:16:04 PM »

Or you can fish with a long belly line and keep plenty of space around you ..... :)

Good info in the this tread for another novice spey chucker.

You WISH this was the case. I fished a mid belly for 2 seasons before ever trying a Skagit line and only did because I was getting so tired of giving guys grief to get out of my casting space......like how bloody close do people need to get to someone ?!!!
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

obie1fish

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2016, 06:53:35 PM »

Maybe some extra large dumbbell eyes might give you space? ::)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 07:06:24 PM by obie1fish »

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2016, 02:57:19 PM »

....like how bloody close do people need to get to someone ?!!!

Based on this mornings Vedder session; about a f.a.g paper's width!   :D   ;)   :o   ::)

LOL, the web police would not accept my British colloquial expression for a cigarette!
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/my friend
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 03:01:18 PM by Knnn »

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2016, 09:51:04 PM »

Already that tight, eh?

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2016, 11:08:13 AM »

Yeah, I did not realize how many close personal friends I have in the Chilliwack area.  :)

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2016, 09:22:40 PM »

It's nice that your popular...

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2016, 10:05:43 AM »

I had a guy my 2nd season with the mid belly stand 10' to my down river side, I warned him politely he was in the danger zone and yet he didn't move so I lifted my line and gave it a little downstream pop causing it to a roll a horizontal loop which amazingly and perfectly landed over his head and around his neck so I yanked it tight and he screamed in fear.......he pulled the loop free and left  8) lmao

(yes we had a few choice words back and forth but he knew full well he was in the wrong and probably why he decided to leave)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2016, 05:01:30 PM »

Essentially the term "switch rod" refers to a short spey rod. Switch rods usually range from roughly 10'5" to 11'3". Anything around 12' and longer is a spey rod.

Although switch rods can be single hand cast, in anything larger than a short light weight trout spey, you probably wouldn't want to. People think with the term "switch" they are good for both but generally they are designed to be two hand cast with your typical sustained anchor and touch and go casts or in some cases (beach) two handed over hand cast.
Switch rods were originally intended to overhead cast short heads but most are now designed as lighter speyrods & that's how most people prefer them. I'd rather 2 hand OH cast a switch than an equivalent 10 to 10 1/2 foot SH rod in lines weights 8 & up. Switches are also great on smallish rivers with close cover where longer spey rods are a pain to haul around and cast. If you've got shoulder or wrist troubles a switch will cause much less strain than a longer spey of equivalent weight.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.