Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What is the appeal of center pins?  (Read 6896 times)

dobrolub

Re: What is the appeal of center pins?
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2016, 03:04:19 PM »

What they don't tell yea is that with center pin you never - ever come back without a fish ;D

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2016, 03:56:26 PM »

I knew there had to be a better reason than looking cool.

Wool

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2016, 05:37:25 PM »

Lightsaber to a blaster.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2016, 06:40:02 PM »

The fish see the sparkle of the reel from under the water. The better the center pin reel the better the sparkle.
In the morning fish western shores and in the afternoons fish eastern shores so to get the best sparkle.
Sometimes when the fishing is slow I will add a couple of those sticker type jewels you can get at the dollar store. I find this increases odds.
You can get the sparkle with some bait casters, some Beaks confuse this technique with "snagging" or "ripping" but they're actually just trying to get the right angles for the proper sparkle.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2016, 08:54:09 AM »

I started with a levelwind and then had to try the centerpin and have since gone back to the levelwind.
You get a more drag free drift with a centerpin for the most part but I get about 1/3 more casts with the lwind in the same time as if I was to use a pin.

losos

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2016, 06:37:56 PM »

Baitcaster and I have one Currado ,is for someone who only cares for catching fish. I bought cheap $300 centerpin which imo is good but am looking into something of the higher shelf such as Milner because I like to challenge myself.  You can learn fancy techniques of casting and as other said adjusting proper drag with your fingers so you don't loose fish  . I got burned finger trying to slow down white spring ,busted knuckles and broke leader on big (i assume) steelhead and got countless bird nests, yet  prefer center pin over level wind one. It is very personal thing and to make judgment of your own one has to experience it.
It is true that pin will catch more fish even with no hook on your line. If I lie there shall not be 25 lb steelhead on the end of my line tomorrow.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 06:42:49 PM by losos »

obie1fish

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2016, 11:21:15 AM »

In two words: direct contact.

In more words, because they are simpler in design and have waaaay fewer parts, they are easier to maintain. Larger spool diameter means more relaxed coils. It's also nice to fish those back eddy pools when you let your float drift in a complete circle without needing to click the free spool on and off.

But best of all, I like the "touch" when making a drift as well as during my favourite time, when the float dips, I lift my rod, and feel the fish.