Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seal Predation cause of significant salmon smolt mortality  (Read 10880 times)

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
Re: Seal Predation cause of significant salmon smolt mortality
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2016, 08:44:30 PM »

One winter several yrs ago. There was a seal I saw in the Stamp river up at the Stamp Falls pool. It was spotted throughout the system over the next few weeks until one of the guides shot it dead. He said that's the day the river turned red. I also saw one in Morris lake several yrs ago as well.

Robert_G

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2016, 05:11:10 PM »

I would question the authenticity of this claim.  I have seen seals in the C-V up to the Vedder Bridge; never higher.  It is entirely possible this siting at the Ranger Run was an otter.

Several credible reports of them at the old Hatchery Hole boundary  (when it used to be open). I have seen 2 there myself.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2016, 05:50:39 PM »

Sorry, I have a hard time believing a seal would endure that length of a swim, especially through the Tamihi rapids area.
However, a seal is a seal and they are very much at home in fresh water ... can you give us more information on these credible reports? or perhaps on the 2 you saw?

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2016, 07:15:19 PM »

Several credible reports of them at the old Hatchery Hole boundary  (when it used to be open). I have seen 2 there myself.
Your not the only one my friend, I witnessed them all the way up to the boundary as well! Don't you guys remember the carcass that was shot up at Fort Apache about 20 years ago. I will try and find the pics one day. 
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 07:35:46 PM by greyghost »
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2016, 10:12:36 PM »

Sorry, I have a hard time believing a seal would endure that length of a swim, especially through the Tamihi rapids area.
However, a seal is a seal and they are very much at home in fresh water ... can you give us more information on these credible reports? or perhaps on the 2 you saw?

Hey Dave.

One year I was fishing the run below the bridge at tamihi. I saw a large wake in the tail out at first light. I thought it was a large school of fish, but soon the "large school of fish" was up on top of the water snorting up a storm. The seal proceeded to the head, got stuck at the rapids, and got out of the water and simply started walking the edge upstream. I followed it for some time out of curiosity to see how far it would go (plus I figured the run was toast anyway), and it eventually hopped in at the run just up from the rapids, and continued up through the run before I lost it.

After that I have no doubt that a seal could easily make it to limit hole.

They do the same thing on the Stamp. They simply walk around the small set of falls/rapids at girl guide falls just up from the gun range, and can punch/swim through the pockets down below the falls, and make their home in the falls pool during peak salmon runs and peak steelhead season. Last year there were 2 in there every high water, and every fish (steelhead) I caught in the stamp last year had seal damage.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2016, 11:58:56 PM »

They do the same thing on the Stamp. They simply walk around the small set of falls/rapids at girl guide falls just up from the gun range,
Its called the bucket. Surprised one of the guides hasn't taken them seals out of the equation swimming around Falls pool eating steelheads...

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2016, 08:51:05 PM »

Its called the bucket. Surprised one of the guides hasn't taken them seals out of the equation swimming around Falls pool eating steelheads...

Right out of the regs... I'm well aware that it's called "the bucket," but the proper, legal term is "Girl Guide Falls."

STAMP RIVER 
No Fishing between signs 200m upstream of & 500m downstream of Stamp Falls, June 15-Nov15
No Fishing from the confluence with ash River upstream to the Great Central Lake dam, Jan 1-apr 30
Bait ban all year upstream of signs at “Girl Guide Falls” (approx. 250 m upstream of the mouth of Beaver Creek)
Bait may ONLY be used Aug 25-May 30 downstream of signs at “Girl Guide Falls” (approx. 250 m upstream of Beaver Creek)
Engine power restriction 7.5 Kw (10hp), on parts

And, as far as I know, the First Nation's in the area were given the rights to "harvest" seals this year. I haven't seen a seal in the river yet, during salmon or steelhead season this year. Hopefully that's a trend of things to come, as they seem to do significant damage some years.

96XJ

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2016, 09:41:06 PM »

The seals definitely did " significant damage " to the coho run on the sunshine coast this year

arimaBOATER

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2019, 12:46:28 PM »

The seal subject came up in the local tv news about 2-2.5 weeks ago or more...
Report talked about aboriginals natives possibly getting the ok to hunt seals to curb the high population & the meat to be sold in California restaurants.
The news asked a question what the public thought of the idea...think it was a quick survey of the viewers watching the news that day. It was in favour by a big margin. 

How does one hunt seal in the PNW? 22 bullet? Does the seal float after being shot? Or net?
It's not like they are on ice flows & get chased down & clubbed.
Natives killing seals for extra $$$ plus lowering numbers for the sake of the salmon does sound like a good idea on the surface anyways.
Me I'm a germ freak ...so as long there's a good system ...ice/flash freezing is important.
From water to restaurant the product has to be well processed /stored.
Wonder if it tastes good.
Side note "Happy Family Day" to everyone.
Too cold ...should be 11-15 C ! Warmer than the prairies though.