Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: local stocked lakes for a 3 year old  (Read 7037 times)

robbo1970

Re: local stocked lakes for a 3 year old
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2015, 08:53:52 PM »

I have a four year old and since he was two all he talks about is fishing, fishing, and more fishing. We go to the Fraser just up from mission bridge on the Abby side, the u catch place in mission, grace lake, and the Harrison. We live on lake Errock so there's always plenty of pikeminnow to catch at the end of the garden!
On the Fraser and grace lake we bottom fish with worms, he has caught coarse fish and trout from the Fraser and trout at grace. Just a light spinning rod works.
Next spring we will be going back a couple of times to the u catch in mission as he is really stating to get into fly fishing, he has a six foot 2/3 weight that he is practising his casting with at the moment. Hopefully by next spring he will be in the habit of keeping his sunglasses and hat on when fly fishing!
If it was my kids first time fishing I would definately head to one of the u catch type places, or the hatchery.
It really is great when they catch, there no snobbery over whether it's a pikeminnow, trout or anything else. To them it's a fish and it's cool! My two year old caught his first fish this summer off our dock and you couldn't get the smile of his face. Have fun

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2015, 01:19:48 AM »

I have a four year old and since he was two all he talks about is fishing, fishing, and more fishing. We go to the Fraser just up from mission bridge on the Abby side, the u catch place in mission, grace lake, and the Harrison. We live on lake Errock so there's always plenty of pikeminnow to catch at the end of the garden!
On the Fraser and grace lake we bottom fish with worms, he has caught coarse fish and trout from the Fraser and trout at grace. Just a light spinning rod works.
Next spring we will be going back a couple of times to the u catch in mission as he is really stating to get into fly fishing, he has a six foot 2/3 weight that he is practising his casting with at the moment. Hopefully by next spring he will be in the habit of keeping his sunglasses and hat on when fly fishing!
If it was my kids first time fishing I would definately head to one of the u catch type places, or the hatchery.
It really is great when they catch, there no snobbery over whether it's a pikeminnow, trout or anything else. To them it's a fish and it's cool! My two year old caught his first fish this summer off our dock and you couldn't get the smile of his face. Have fun

This is really the best part of taking kids out fishing !!

Kids don't care if they are tiny whatevers or giant salmon as long as they are catching something and having fun. A lot of times this year they would run around and play until I or grandpa hooked up then run over to play/land the fish (I do not play out fish for my kids and let/make them do the work). I'm perfectly okay with this because the best part to me is setting the hook anyways  ;D

couple shots of my boys battling pinks this year on my fly rod  :D

my oldest can land pinks all by himself as well now and being taught proper fish handling !

Kids also like to slay limits when it's allowed and as you can see my youngest is the goofball between them LoL

« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 01:24:30 AM by HOOK »
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

hrenya

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2015, 06:20:54 AM »

doubt about coarse fish at fraser now, I know herring will be coming soon though

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2015, 10:22:39 AM »

Hook, those are fabulous photos, thanks for sharing them.

ajransom

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2015, 11:19:50 AM »

Hook, those are fabulous photos, thanks for sharing them.

X2 - great to see young kids getting out there!

robbo1970

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2015, 01:29:06 PM »

Great pics Hook. I got the same waders for my boy, when he got them for his birthday his first question was, can I wear them to bed?