Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Islander reel question  (Read 10986 times)

losos

Re: Islander reel question
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2015, 04:36:33 PM »

I carry a leatherman with me all the time when fishing and hiking. Has everything you need...pliers, knives, screw driver bits, saw... I sorta laugh when I see guys pulling out a 10" long fillet knife on the river to gut a fish.
Another question about pins. When comparing a bushing pin vs a bearing pin is there a positive of one over the other? Does the bushing pins take more weight to get em spinning compared to a bearing pin?
Same here Leatherman Wave has everything including diamond file for sharpening hooks.
As for bushing versus ball bearing there are two main differences:
1. You can rinse bushing on the spot in case there is sand intrusion into the reel. With ball bearing it is more                                   
     complicated since there is no guarantee that you removed all sand grains and will not cause more damage.

2. Form what I've seen on Milner site there is weight difference between  models with bushing and ball bearing set-
    ups. Bushing reels are heavier.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 04:38:52 PM by losos »

Shinny

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2015, 04:58:37 PM »

This information could be found with search option. :)

As could a lot of posts. New threads is what keeps the forums interesting and active. Guess everyone should only post in the water conditions thread as every other topic must have come up at some point  ::) thanks for the contribution though.

Same here Leatherman Wave has everything including diamond file for sharpening hooks.
As for bushing versus ball bearing there are two main differences:
1. You can rinse bushing on the spot in case there is sand intrusion into the reel. With ball bearing it is more                                   
     complicated since there is no guarantee that you removed all sand grains and will not cause more damage.

2. Form what I've seen on Milner site there is weight difference between  models with bushing and ball bearing set-
    ups. Bushing reels are heavier.

I also have the Wave, it's great.

dobrolub

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2015, 05:00:18 PM »

When comparing a bushing pin vs a bearing pin is there a positive of one over the other? Does the bushing pins take more weight to get em spinning compared to a bearing pin?
The difference is small. Momentum is mostly related to the weight of the spool.

Shinny

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2015, 05:15:08 PM »

So basically it boils down to one is field serviceable (bushing) the other not so much (bearing)

Thanks for the response.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2015, 06:51:16 PM »

So basically it boils down to one is field serviceable (bushing) the other not so much (bearing)

Thanks for the response.

Meh, I drown my bearing reels in the river all the time if they get sand in them. I run my bearings dry though so nothing sticks to them.

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2015, 08:35:22 PM »

Thanks for the response.
     .....on the plus side for bearings, you would most likely be able to replace bearings yourself but re-bushing requires a machinist....I also find the bearing pin has absolutelty no wobble to the spool....
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 08:37:29 PM by Spoonman »
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2015, 10:50:36 PM »

I carry a leatherman with me all the time when fishing and hiking. Has everything you need...pliers, knives, screw driver bits, saw... I sorta laugh when I see guys pulling out a 10" long fillet knife on the river to gut a fish.

I have a Leatherman Wave. Has come in handy numerous times.

fishingwithjohn

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2020, 08:51:28 PM »

What year would a 4000 number reel have been produced?

stsfisher

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2020, 10:21:25 PM »

.....on the plus side for bearings, you would most likely be able to replace bearings yourself but re-bushing requires a machinist....I also find the bearing pin has absolutelty no wobble to the spool....
Totally agree. I have an old bushing reel that is a wall hanger because the bushing is not replaceable. However my 2 bearing reels keep on ticking with new bearings