Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bored... a video to get you pumped for winter steel  (Read 7808 times)

bluenoser

Re: Bored... a video to get you pumped for winter steel
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2015, 08:52:32 PM »

Awesome...looking at the terrain you hike and rocks your climbing what have you found to be the best for boots?

I was looking at getting korkers with felt/rubber soles.

BN

acjuve

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2015, 01:51:03 AM »

NICE!!

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2015, 06:46:05 PM »

Awesome...looking at the terrain you hike and rocks your climbing what have you found to be the best for boots?

I was looking at getting korkers with felt/rubber soles.

BN

Korkers are a great boot! I rocked them for a couple years and even their lower model (Redsides) held up extremely well to my abuse (around 1.5 years of use, ~300 trips).

I actually pretty much exclusively use old "classic" leather hodgman boots. I kept an eye out on them on buy and sell sites and finally got 2 solid pairs. The reason I was so determined to get them was because I once had a pair that lasted me over 3 years and 700+ trips. I was terrible and didn't maintain/take care of them at all and they were still great till the leather finally started giving out on the toe portion and eventually split down the side. Now that I know I need to give them some TLC, I'm sure these couple pairs I have will last me a very long time.

As for bottoms I really like the felts, and that is the all around best bottom IMO. I've played around with vibram (go for these if you really want to die - only thing they are good for is the hike in), studs/felts (pretty great but they wear out fast), and the patagonia aluminum bars that run across the whole bottom of the boot (super, super sticky on MOST rocks, great for hiking down slippery hillsides, moss, etc - DEATH WISH if you hike on lots of rocks covered with that green/white lichen that is common in canyons, and they wear out within 50 trips of any sort of hiking). The patagonia bars also break in half and fall off if you are rough on them (such as jumping down off ledges onto rocks/hopping rock to rock, etc).

Boots I've tried recently (last 5 years) are SIMMS rock creek, Kokers Redside/Buckskin, Patagonia Rock Grip, Chota STL, Hodgman canvas and classics. The Hodgman Classics are by far the best I've ever owned. The Frogg Toggs are the only other ones that have last more than 3 months and/or 40 trips. The buckskin Korkers are still going strong after a year and over 150 trips, hardly any signs of wear.

Other boots I've seen in use by buddies: Frogg Toggs (Can't remember model, but I'll update when I get it), Amundson wading boot. Neither lasted more than 2 months/30 trips without significant damage/wear.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2015, 07:09:58 PM »

Oh man,that hit the spot......
Thanks!

bluenoser

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2015, 07:32:26 PM »

Thanks for all that info on boots. I ordered the korkers which should be fine for me at around 40 fishing days per year.

BN

Kever

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2015, 07:50:27 PM »

Awesome video, awesome fish. I should deploy the gopro more often when fishing, get them hero shots.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2015, 02:45:41 PM »

I'm bored again Dan!
Make another 8)