Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Smoking/brine question  (Read 18275 times)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Smoking/brine question
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2015, 12:37:01 PM »

How long are you all smoking your fish for? Been experimenting with different smoke times, from 6h to 9h. I'm running a Little Chief with a homemade insulation blanket and it seems around 8-9h is ideal.

Depends on the thickness of your fish. The thicker the longer.

Kever

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2015, 05:07:59 PM »

Fair enough. After a 6h smoke yesterday the coho was cooked perfectly, most of the chum was good, and some chum was raw.

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2015, 05:55:44 PM »

i have a bradley and i smoke with the pucks for 1 and half hours
thats for pinks and coho i have been doin this year

sandy999

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2015, 02:38:44 PM »

I have worked in the meat and fish departments for about 45 years. I have spoken to a number of people that smoke all types of meat and fish for a living.to fish, they said that freezing the fish first is very inportant because the freezing process bursts the water cells in the flesh of the fish and when you brine the fish it sucks up the brine like a sponge. Then the brine penetrates farther in the flesh. You then get a better brine. All I ever use is brown sugar and coarse salt. You can layer to fillets as high as you wish, The most important part is to keep the fish and brine cold. I always put the product in the fridge overnight. In the morning there will be a lot of liquid in the container that you are using. I then rinse the fish with cold water, I then lay out the fish on a old clean towel and pat dry with paper towels. Then I brush on which ever flavour I wish and I leave the fish at room temperature. I often just use Soy sause and then springel on brown sugar, but you can put on any flour that you wish, any flavor works just fine. Unless the weather is hot-I always leave my little chief smoker in the box, this way the smoker better because it is protected somewhat from the cold and especially the wind. The wind is your worst enemy, the wind keeps the smoker from getting hot. Enjoy. I am more than willing to do a taste test on your finished product. HO HO HO.

PS.- Be sure that the container is large enough so the fluid that comes out of the fish does not overflow and mess up your fridge.

Kever

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2015, 05:01:24 PM »

I have worked in the meat and fish departments for about 45 years. I have spoken to a number of people that smoke all types of meat and fish for a living.to fish, they said that freezing the fish first is very inportant because the freezing process bursts the water cells in the flesh of the fish and when you brine the fish it sucks up the brine like a sponge. Then the brine penetrates farther in the flesh. You then get a better brine. All I ever use is brown sugar and coarse salt. You can layer to fillets as high as you wish, The most important part is to keep the fish and brine cold. I always put the product in the fridge overnight. In the morning there will be a lot of liquid in the container that you are using. I then rinse the fish with cold water, I then lay out the fish on a old clean towel and pat dry with paper towels. Then I brush on which ever flavour I wish and I leave the fish at room temperature. I often just use Soy sause and then springel on brown sugar, but you can put on any flour that you wish, any flavor works just fine. Unless the weather is hot-I always leave my little chief smoker in the box, this way the smoker better because it is protected somewhat from the cold and especially the wind. The wind is your worst enemy, the wind keeps the smoker from getting hot. Enjoy. I am more than willing to do a taste test on your finished product. HO HO HO.

PS.- Be sure that the container is large enough so the fluid that comes out of the fish does not overflow and mess up your fridge.

Sandy, I have some white spring vacuum sealed in the deep freeze, I'll try smoking that soon as per your recommendation. Thanks.

sandy999

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2015, 11:11:43 AM »

Sandy, I have some white spring vacuum sealed in the deep freeze, I'll try smoking that soon as per your recommendation. Thanks.

Please let me know how it works for you. Thanks

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2015, 08:37:28 PM »

Fair enough. After a 6h smoke yesterday the coho was cooked perfectly, most of the chum was good, and some chum was raw.
I wonder if the raw chum after smoking was due to the quality of the fish.

Last fall, I bonked a very clean coho from the C/V in mid Oct. Upon filleting the fish for smoking, I found the flesh of the fish to be very soft. Quite unexpected for a mid Oct bright fish.

I wondered if brining and smoking would firm it up, but the end product after smoking was still mushy fish pieces.

Animal Chin

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2015, 09:51:42 PM »

I wonder if this has to do with whether you froze the fish before, after, or during rigor mortis?

I have no idea, but am curious about it. I've gotten coho out of the Vedder that, while I wouldn't say was mushy, was not the greatest. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will pipe in.

I've had the same experience with a couple of pinks as you Clarkii. Blehhhh..